Boot problem.

Pecker

Retired Moderator
Media
I bought a Dell Dimension with XP a few months ago and it's infuriating.

My latest problem concerns booting up. When I turn it on I get the regular Dell screen but then it jumps to the "We apologize for the inconvenience...." screen and it counts down to regularly start windows - it won't let me move the highlight to other options. Then it goes to the Windows boot screen for a few seconds, goes blank and starts the boot proceedure all over again as if I'd just turned the machine on. I've left it for over a half an hour and it just loops like this over and over.

I'm certain I must have a corrupted file somewhere but I have no boot disks and since XP came with the machine I have no Windows XP CD ROM.

Anybody have a suggestion?

smoothrnb

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
Your computer should still be under warranty. I would call Dell and request assistance. A few years ago, I had a DVD drive go bad in my Dell (It was about a year old.). I called Dell, and they were quite helpful. They sent a repair tech to my house to replace the bad drive in about 2 days. I could not ask for better service. (I had the regular service/warranty plan.)

Hope you get the problem resolved.

ManlyBanisters

Sexy Member
Media
Here's a link that may help We apologize for the inconvenience, but Windows did not start successfully. Recent Hardware or software changes might have caused this..... - Software - Windows XP - Dell Community Forum
I have a Dimension too, but restore CDs came with it - actually, now I think about it we requested those especially. Normally they (Dell Ireland anyway) don't send them out unless you have a problem. I'm afraid you may have to call Dell
or try here (call centre number on that page too).

"Hi, thanks for calling Dell. My name is Insufferable Ass-Wipe. May I have your telephone number please, starting with the area code?"

Good luck

Big Dreamer

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Here's a link that may help We apologize for the inconvenience, but Windows did not start successfully. Recent Hardware or software changes might have caused this..... - Software - Windows XP - Dell Community Forum
I have a Dimension too, but restore CDs came with it - actually, now I think about it we requested those especially. Normally they (Dell Ireland anyway) don't send them out unless you have a problem. I'm afraid you may have to call Dell
or try here (call centre number on that page too).

"Hi, thanks for calling Dell. My name is Insufferable Ass-Wipe. May I have your telephone number please, starting with the area code?"

Good luck

I also dealt with Insufferable Ass-Wipe at Dell when fixing my mother-in-law's shitty computer. He's a busy man, Mr.Ass-Wipe.

b.c.

Worshipped Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
I bought a Dell Dimension XPS 400 back in late 2005 (to replace my other machines wiped out by The Storm).

Except for a "once in a blue moon" startup problem (easily solved by turning the machine OFF then On again) I haven't had a lick of problem with it yet, knock on wood.

ManlyBanisters

Sexy Member
Media
I bought a Dell once...

Within 2 weeks I'd pulled everything out of it and replaced the whole lot with better.

Customer services are/were great, each problem they were happy to fix, however, I shouldn't have had that many problems with it. They're over priced, badly made and rarely come without problems.

Call them, get the disks (or a guy who has the disks) restore it, and wait for the next problem. (I suggest building your own in future)

Shit Kotch - you got a bad deal - I've been using Dell's, work and home, since forever - they're the best workstations out there, certainly for running MS Software.

B_stanmarsh14

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Straight, 10% Gay
I bought a Dell Dimension with XP a few months ago and it's infuriating.

My latest problem concerns booting up. When I turn it on I get the regular Dell screen but then it jumps to the "We apologize for the inconvenience...." screen and it counts down to regularly start windows - it won't let me move the highlight to other options. Then it goes to the Windows boot screen for a few seconds, goes blank and starts the boot proceedure all over again as if I'd just turned the machine on. I've left it for over a half an hour and it just loops like this over and over.

I'm certain I must have a corrupted file somewhere but I have no boot disks and since XP came with the machine I have no Windows XP CD ROM.

Sounds like it's popssibaly your boot records getting messed up.

Ok, good thing is most DELL units usualy come with an XP install CD assuming we are dealing with XP (Same with media center edition too).

Boot up with the CD in the machine, press any key when prompted to do so, wait till you get 3 options... install, repair & emergancy repair. You need to select the second option (Repair), then you will be brought to a black DOS screen. If it asks you to log in then do so. Once loged in type the following: fixmbr... Accept any changes applied. Once done take the CD out, & reboot as normal.

This should sort the booting issue you are suffering with.

Good Luck!

Pecker

Retired Moderator
Media
I spent an hour in the Dell Support chatroom with Ramesh, who tried a hundred things before he finally decided to have me run diagnostics on all of my memory and hardware. It all reported no problems.

He's supposed to call me back tomorrow evening. Let's hope I can understand him on the phone.

I'll probably end up receiving a CD, as stanmarsh said.

In the meantime I'll just continue using my old HP with Windows ME and the crank on its side.

ManlyBanisters

Sexy Member
Media
I spent an hour in the Dell Support chatroom with Ramesh, who tried a hundred things before he finally decided to have me run diagnostics on all of my memory and hardware. It all reported no problems.

He's supposed to call me back tomorrow evening. Let's hope I can understand him on the phone. now now, what leads you to believe you won't?

I'll probably end up receiving a CD, as stanmarsh said. Yup - if only they'd cut to the chase with that, eh?

In the meantime I'll just continue using my old HP with Windows ME and the crank on its side.

Work it, Pecker! :wink:

B_spiker067

Experimental Member
Media

He's supposed to call me back tomorrow evening. Let's hope I can understand him on the phone.

You should have pm'ed HLAnna.

Mr. Snakey

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
I just got Vista and to my horror no back up software. You have to set restore points. When something like this happens you just pick on of the dates and it restores you back to that date when everything was fine. I have a Compaq Presario. I love it. Vista is great once you lax the very high security settings. It sounds like you have a virus. So run a anti virus program. Bill Gates should be in jail for what he is doing. Download .com has free anti virus software that is good. Ativi-guard is one. Also run scan disc if Xp has it and disc defragmenter. Go to Dell keep drivers updated etc. very important.............

B_stanmarsh14

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Straight, 10% Gay

If you get no joy with this guy / no DELL branded XP Home CD, give me a PM as I maybe "COUGH" sort one out for you, assuming we are dealing with XP Home here :wink:

b.c.

Worshipped Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
I'm thinking too that maybe he has a virus. If he has a virus his onboard virus program (if he has one) may not even be detecting it. (That's why I use a combination of several spyware and virus protection programs).

If I recall you can go on macafee.com and run a virus scan of your computer from there (so it'd be scanned by software not preloaded on your hard drive).

I'd be interested in knowing what turns out to be the problem.

HazelGod

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay

Yeah, eliminate the source of the problem: Microsoft's shitty operating system.

Seriously. download the desktop edition of Ubuntu linux. It's free, it works, and you don't have to be a technogeek to install or use it.

Plus, it gives you all those nifty 3D desktop effects that supposedly make Vista so cool, without requiring Cray-level hardware.

Most apps you use in Windoze are part of Ubuntu:

Web browser: Firefox
Email: Evolution, Thunderbird
Office Apps: OpenOffice
Music Player: XMMS, MPlayer
Video Player: MPlayer

Etc, etc, etc. Just try it out. If you don't like it, I'll refund you the purchase price! :tongue:

rubberwilli

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
I'm using a DELL Dimension XPS T500 from 1998 and it still runs great! I'm a big DELL fan.

I've upgraded memory once and upgraded to Windows 2000 and it's all running strong. Norton Anti-virus and Spyware Doctor keep me free from unwanted items and spamblocker sifts my email. What more could a guy ask for?

SpeedoGuy

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
...I shouldn't have had that many problems with it. They're over priced, badly made and rarely come without problems.

Concur with Kotchanski about Dell products. I realize this is cold comfort for Pecker but there once was a time about 5-10 years ago when I thought Dell computers kicked ass. After several bad experiences with their products and support, no more. Dell now seems to be all about more money, power, market share or whatever for Michael Dell and to hell with consumers and everything else.

(I suggest building your own in future)

That's what I do now after several unhappy experiences with Dell. Its not as difficult as it may seem.

SpeedoGuy

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
I just got Vista and to my horror no back up software.

You should be able to burn a recovery disk. Most brand name PC's come with no software/driver disks included, leaving it to the consumer to be savvy enough to burn their own backups with the proprietary apps provided.

Check for it.

LouisVauban

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
You can also BITCH and MOAN endlessly with the Indian Dell Customer Service... Eventually, they will send you all the dicks to reinstall or tell you how to do it remotely through your current computer... XP is quite wonderful... frequently you can reset Windows without having to reinstall.