Cherished Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
I have a brother who is gay. I was around while my mother mistreated him. I totally understand why he is gay and many times I took a punch or two to protect him. I'm his best friend today and he consults me anytime he has a conflict. A mean cruel woman as a mother can certainly make a man shy away from women. I saw it first hand. To be frank, I don't blame him. Some women are really cruel. Most of my friends are male, it affected me as well.

It's a shame that some people still believe in theories that were disproven many years ago.

It is a shame that you totally disregard someone else's personal observation or experience. mylipswet is only saying that a traumatic event or prolonged abuse may affect a person's sexual orientation.

This is not the case with myself. I believe that homosexuality, is my natural orientation. However it is conceivable that a person who has been abused will shy away from intimacy with a person of that gender.

MisterMark

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
it is conceivable that a person who has been abused will shy away from intimacy with a person of that gender.

Yes, it's conceivable, but highly unlikely.

Many straight men and women suffer through physically and emotionally abusive relationships. The vast majority of them do not condemn an entire gender as a result. Even among those who do "swear off women" (or men), they usually just remain single; they don't become gay.

MisterMark

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
They have recently dissected human DNA 100%. The results were conclusive. There is no such thing as a "gay"/"homosexual" gene. Meaning, there is nothing that can happen to a child biologically from birth that would cause homosexuality. http://www.narth.com/docs/istheregene.html

There may not be a gay gene, but there's been mounting evidence for years that sexual orientation is determined by hormonal levels in a mother's womb.

There are also studies that show a difference between gay men's brains and straight men's brains:

http://articles.latimes.com/2008/jun/17/science/sci-gaybrain17

Your theory that people choose their sexual orientation has been discredited time and time again. You cited articles from anti-gay, conservative religious organizations, including NARTH, an organization that offers "conversion therapy" to homosexuals. They hold little or no credibility.

wallaboi

Cherished Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
Yes, it's conceivable, but highly unlikely.

Many straight men and women suffer through physically and emotionally abusive relationships. The vast majority of them do not condemn an entire gender as a result. Even among those who do "swear off women" (or men), they usually just remain single; they don't become gay.

Yes, it is conceivable.

I find your dogma almost as extreme as 1youngboy.

Good on you mylipswet, for being a good friend and support to your brother. I'm sure you receive the same back from him.

MisterMark

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
I find your dogma almost as extreme as 1youngboy.

Good on you mylipswet, for being a good friend and support to your brother. I'm sure you receive the same back from him.

Dogma? I don't think that's the right word. I feel strongly about what I said, but that doesn't make it dogma. It's just my opinion.

And mylipswet was banned from this site long ago.

wallaboi

Cherished Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
Dogma? I don't think that's the right word. I feel strongly about what I said, but that doesn't make it dogma. It's just my opinion.

And mylipswet was banned from this site long ago.

I believe that biological make up (genes) and environmental conditions in the womb may affect the sexuality of an individual. However it is short sighted to insist that enviromental factors outside the womb, do not have an effect on the individuals sexual orientation.

My biggest objection to your post re: mylipswet, is that you deny the validity of his personal experience,

Monk4Life

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
The penis was designed as a procreating tool, and to release waste, any other function outside these weren't intended. To desire intercourse with the opposite sex is as natural as growing up, ofcourse there will be interruptions that put man off what they were suppose to be.

You can put your dick anywhere you please and get pleasure from it, you have control, but it still doesn't mean you were suppose to use it that way.

Cant believe people are falling for a troll like this.

was going to give you a 2/10 but with others taking a bite i've upgraded your score to 4/10. Keep working on it

Reactions: dreamer20

bek2335

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
69% Gay, 31% Straight
1youngboy, perhaps you ought to change your name to "1youngbigot". "Nothing natural" about being gay? Then how do you explain the occurrence of homosexual behavior in animals? You better do some more learning before you develop such strong opinions.

Beachboy19

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
They have recently dissected human DNA 100%. The results were conclusive. There is no such thing as a "gay"/"homosexual" gene. Meaning, there is nothing that can happen to a child biologically from birth that would cause homosexuality. I myself know of a few people who said they were homosexual from birth and now are happily married to people of the opposite sex, ask Anne Heiche, Megan Fox. Also, you ever notice that in the debate over seame sex marriage that the bi-sexual argument never pops up? Why? Because there is clearly a "choice" taking place, "Should I sleep with Jane tonight or Pete or both". Somewhere there has to be a judgement call. That's why this part of the argument is deliberately skipped. Sorry, no gay gene

There is no gay gene

http://www.dakotavoice.com/2008/08/homosexual-activst-admits-there-is-no-gay-gene/

Is There a "Gay Gene"?

Dude, take a psych class. First of all we dunno what all genes do. If we did, our medical sciences would be so advanced. 2nd:

"We found 52 percent of identical twin brothers of gay men also were gay, compared with 22 percent of fraternal twins, compared with 11 percent of genetically unrelated brothers,"
Gay Men in Twin Study - The New York Times

So theres a genetic component. And then an hormonal (environmental) component:
"According to several studies, each older brother increases a man's odds of developing a homosexual sexual orientation by 28%–48%.[3][4][5][6]"
Fraternal birth order and sexual orientation - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

And other reasons as well...

So theres a genetic component. And then an hormonal (environmental) component:

And other reasons as well...

I was wondering this also - is it possible that some people are genetically more predisposed to developing homosexuality given certain external factors (either in the womb, early childhood - whatever)?

There certainly seems to be definite traits similar among gay people (for blokes - language skills/wittiness, empathy - altho that could be due to going thru difficult experiences themselves, creativity)...

So that would be a mixture of nature and nurture (especially if experiences during upbringing also have an impact).

MisterMark

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
I was wondering this also - is it possible that some people are genetically more predisposed to developing homosexuality given certain external factors (either in the womb, early childhood - whatever)?

I think it's possible that some people are genetically predisposed to becoming homosexual, but I think of it as more of a prenatal condition. Once you're born, your sexual orientation is probably fixed.

There certainly seems to be definite traits similar among gay people (for blokes - language skills/wittiness, empathy - altho that could be due to going thru difficult experiences themselves, creativity)...
There are many studies that show differences in skills between gay men and straight men, and even studies that show similarities between gay male brains and straight female brains, especially in the areas of emotion and communication.

Gay men (like straight women) have better communication skills than straight men. On the other hand, gay men (like straight women) have more emotional disorders and depression than straight men. The stereotypes of the "strong, silent" straight man and the emotional and flamboyant gay man have some basis in truth.

Beachboy19

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight

So that would be a mixture of nature and nurture (especially if experiences during upbringing also have an impact).

Genes....sperm....must not make a dirty comment :biggrin1:

TheMarchHare

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
Pansexual
I personally feel I've been gay my whole life. Early on in life I had girlfriends, I did plenty with them, but I was trying to conform to societal expectations and standards placed upon me. I did not have a romantic emotional connection with them. I could get aroused, I could get off, but it was empty. It's a connection, but so much more.. and sexuality is far more varied than simply gay straight or bi. I'm a psych student, and a large fan of the Kinsey theory/scale. Which basically states that everyone is inherently bisexual, but everyone is also predominantly homosexual, or predominantly heterosexual.. to varying degrees. The scale is 0-6 I believe. 0 being completely straight, Then varying degrees of straightness, then 3 is true bisexual, and then varying degrees of homosexuality, and 6 is completely homosexual. ::shrug::

As for homosexuality not being natural... please explain to me then why perhaps it's been around in human culture since the beginning of recorded history..? Some cultures accepted it, some revered it, some neglected it, and some openly reviled it. But those are just reactions. The fact is, it's always been around. Aside from just that, there are many many numerous reports of homosexuality in nature, in animals...

There have been some interesting studies also in the 90s, and within the past few years. A few which, if replicated on a larger scale, would indicate a biological connection to homosexuality. One of these studies is one in which they found that in gay males as opposed to straight males, the corpus callosum is 34%(I think, could be off a bit) larger, more similar to that of a female's corpus callosum. Also, the hypothalamus is smaller. and there was one other part which was larger in gay males, but I forget what. Another study came to find part of the Y chromosome in gay male brothers was to be different than considered usual. Different, but perfectly compatible.

My theory is that homosexuality is one of nature's ways of population control.

wallaboi

Cherished Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
I would like to raise the question of sexual orientation V identity. I am predominately sexually attracted to men and I identify as a gay man. However, given particular circumstances (without this choice) I think it is quite conceivable that I would seek to satisfy my needs for companionship, intimacy and sexual release with a woman. I have strong paternal feelings and given the right circumstances would embrace the opportunity to raise a child.

Similarly, straight men in prison form strong sexual and sometimes emotional bonds with other men to fill their needs.

I choose to identify as a gay man because I love cock and a hard body, I love people who are outwardly self sufficient and strong.

Bi sexual men may be equally attracted to both men and women, but predominately identify as straight (or gay) due to their environment, societal expectations, family values, childhood experiences etc.

...just my thoughts...want to hear what you think!

immortalthor

Just Browsing
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Here's my take on it. To me, it's more akin to either liking or disliking a particular food. Lots of people like tomatoes, some people love them, I personally can't stand them. I've never liked them. Why?

It's not God making me not like tomatoes (that'd be rather silly). I don't think I was born this way, how, it's not like there's tomatoes in the womb or anything. And it's not a choice to dislike tomatoes, either. There's no conscience effort on my part to not like tomatoes. It just IS.

I hate tomatoes, some people don't, to each their own. I like pussy, some people like dick. It's just what you like. It just IS.

TheMarchHare

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
Pansexual
Here's my take on it. To me, it's more akin to either liking or disliking a particular food. Lots of people like tomatoes, some people love them, I personally can't stand them. I've never liked them. Why?

It's not God making me not like tomatoes (that'd be rather silly). I don't think I was born this way, how, it's not like there's tomatoes in the womb or anything. And it's not a choice to dislike tomatoes, either. There's no conscience effort on my part to not like tomatoes. It just IS.

I hate tomatoes, some people don't, to each their own. I like pussy, some people like dick. It's just what you like. It just IS.

You make some valid points. However, I must disagree that you can't be born disliking something initially without any prior experience of it... and in that particular example, of tomatoes... people are born with a specific, varied set of taste buds, that changes throughout the years.. so it is very conceivable to born.. disliking tomatoes. ;p