Bose Headphones -- Good Purchase??

Discussion in 'Et Cetera, Et Cetera' started by Dorian_Gray, Jan 11, 2008.

1. Dorian_Gray

Gold Member

Albums:
    I was wondering what you guy's opinions are on these headphones. I just bought the Bose Triport AE (around ear) and while i've read some nasty reviews about most bose products, I also own a pair of "over $100" sony studio monitor cans and the difference between the two is like night and day. They make the sonys sound horrible. In most of the reviews I read they were criticizing them over their poor sound range, IE: poor midrange, and at HIGH volumes the bass distorts. So any of the audiophiles in the forum.. what are your thoughts?

BTW... my sonys are mdr-v900HD

2. jimcord

jimcord Member

Hey there XGX, why I will admit that I am not a Bose fan, I believe that their best product is their noise canceling line, the 2 or 3's. And on those products I do not like them for music but for the actual noise canceling portion. Music on them sounds oddly muffles to me. For actual music appreciation headphones, and if you are wanting over the ear versus in-ear headphones, I would probably look at the upper end of Sennheiser or Beyer Dynamics or even Grado. These upper end headphones are not cheap but they do win you over with their presentation of music in a balanced fashion versus many of the boomy lower end headphones who's makers believe that if you over exaggerate the bass then you have the winning hand. But what really matters is your own taste, if you appreciate and enjoy the Bose TriPorts then have a great time listening to some music!

3. SpeedoGuy

Gold Member

Albums:
    I have the originial over-ear Bose sound reduction headphones I use with my iPod while travelling and I think they're great.

They're comfortable and I think the sound quality is tops. I don't think the sound is muffled, certainly not in comparison to other headphones. The real value is becomes apparent on long airplane flights when the noise reduction feature and overall headphone comfort reduces fatigue. I don't like earbud style phones so the Bose do the trick for me.

4. ClaireTalon

Gold Member

Bose is a great purchase in my opinion. I own an Aviation Headset X of them for nearly 10 years now, it has never failed, nor could I complain that it's uncomfortable to wear. Usually I don't think much of package praise, but in this case it's true: The ambient sound reduction is phenomenal, and so is the fit. Especially comparing them to the standard AF headsets, which had given me terrible pain in both ears after a few months of use.

5. D_Roland_D_Hay

D_Roland_D_Hay Account Disabled

I got the same pair for xmas and think they are wonderful. I use them with my ipod and couldn't be happier. Like you I used sony and was happy with them until I tried the bose...

6. Dorian_Gray

Gold Member

Albums:

exactly, I watch a bunch of movies on my laptop and with the bose cans I heard stuff I never heard with the sonys. The sonys say the freq response is like 5-80,000Hz but the bose must just seriously amplify anything below like 50Hz. The bass on the bose is just amazing, it's like having an integrated sub in the headphones and the highs don't distort and stay crisp through the whole experience. I think the best movie I watched so far on them was "The Fountain" it was beautiful.

@Clare... I wanted that aviation set sooo bad but gah those are expensive!

Draft saved Draft deleted