Boston College in the Crosshairs over Crucifixes

Principessa

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Boston College in the crosshairs: Outrage over crucifixes hung in classrooms

Some Boston College professors and students are raising a holyruckus over the Catholic school’s return to its religious roots by hanging crucifixes in all its classrooms, calling the move “offensive” and a break from the Jesuit tradition of tolerance. “There is no choice if you don’t think it’s appropriate. You can’t turn it around,” said biology professor Dan Kirschner, faculty adviser for BC’s chapter of Hillel, a Jewish student group. “I think it is being insensitive to the people of other faith traditions here.”

BC spokesman Jack Dunn said college President Rev. William P. Leahy decided to install crucifix es in the university’s 151 classrooms as a means of reconnecting the school with its “Catholic mission.” “As a Catholic university, we view the crucifix as a sacred symbol and its placement reflects our commitment to our religious heritage. We hope that those who do not share our faith tradition can respect our intentions,” he said. The display of crucifixes - some of them hand-carved works brought back by students from volunteer missions overseas - is an outgrowth of the college’s Committee on Christian Art, formed in 2002 to promote Christian artworks on campus..

IMHO - This is insanity, everyone knows it's a Catholic school. Jesuit or not, they have a right to hang crucifixes, pictures of the madonna and child etc., etc. Anybody that is surprised by that is stupid. Anyone that doesn't like it, staff or student can leave. :mad:

Does anyone else see the irony in the fact that this 145 year old Catholic school has an active Hillel group? If I attended Yeshiva University I would expect to see Stars of David on the walls and mezuzzahs in every door way. Even if they weren't there the first week or even first year of my studies I wouldn't be shocked or upset when they were added. Then again I have good sense. :cool:

If some faculty or students feel this violates the separation of church and state then perhaps they should have attended a state school rather than a religious one. :rolleyes: :duh:

FWIW: I am not now, nor have I ever been a Catholic.

lucky8

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
No such things as separation of church and state...especially in a private institution like a Catholic school, the rules don't apply

JustAsking

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
...If some faculty or students feel this violates the separation of church and state then perhaps they should have attended a state school rather than a religious one....
Yes, The Establishment Clause doesn't apply here. This is private organization and they have the right to hang crosses upside down if they want to. In fact the Free Religious Expression clause applies here, so the Crucifixes are protected by The Constitution.

I also agree that anyone attending a Catholic school of any kind should not be suprised by the presence of a Crucifix. The Hillel organization is being a bit too sensitive, I think.

Leaving isn't always possible. I had a crucifix in my hospital room during my last stay. Fortunately it was a medieval style one printed on a piece of plastic, but it bothered me a bit. I like Jesus and don't like to be reminded of his horrible death when I'm in a hospital.

And yeah, it's Boston College's property so their rules apply. No establishment clause issues apply.

Guy-jin

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
Asexual
Anyone that doesn't like it, staff or student can leave.

Who will that really hurt, though? I have a feeling this may be a short venture down the ugly road which reminds the Catholics running the school that the Jesuits are no longer the educational elite of the planet, and that losing staff, students and faculty that are Jewish, Atheist, Muslim, Hindu, Buddhist, or anything else other than Catholic, over something as unnecessary as a crucifix isn't in their best interest.