Bought a New Car?

Discussion in 'Politics' started by midlifebear, Aug 15, 2009.

1. midlifebear

Gold Member

Have any LPSG-ers taken advantage of the Cash for Klunkers program and used it to buy a new ride? I'm just being nosy. It seems like a good thing for those who desperately need to get rid of autos that average 10-16 mpg.

#1 midlifebear, Aug 15, 2009
    Last edited: Aug 15, 2009
  2. Ed69

Gold Member

autos that average 10-16 mpg.

Where do you get one of those?My 1967 bug built to 1835cc's was in the mid 20 mpg range back in the 80's when I got my license.Classic collecters yes,but a daily driver?

3. joyboytoy79

Gold Member

Albums:
    The husband and I talked about it. In the end we agreed (after i browbeat him a little) that it's not the right time to buy a new car. I'd have been happier if we could have turned in his clunker to buy a more fuel efficient USED car. As it is, Jason is only interested in a Hybrid. That's not a bad thing, but they are more pricey than standard gas guzzlers. We simply can't afford the $400/mo a new Hybrid would cost us... coupled with the sky-high insurance rates we'd be forced into. (Car insurance is such a scam, btw)

4. nudeyorker

Gold Member

I bought a new car last January, it's not quite a clunker yet.

5. Rikter8

Gold Member

Albums:
    My 98 Bonnie was a clunker. A few tune ups, engine mods, and etc made it a Good Grocery getter that gets upwards of 28mpg.
    My GMC was getting around 8-10mpg, now tuned up a bit, gets around 21 with a few mods.

I'm sure there are many more autos that could be simply fixed, instead of destroyed..but I'm not going into all that again.

In short - Disposable Society.

6. Principessa

Gold Member

#6 Principessa, Aug 15, 2009
    Last edited: Aug 16, 2009
  7. Rikter8

Gold Member

Albums:
    Thank you for the kind words, but I'm not a master mechanic. Hobbyist, but not master.

Many aren't even considering getting a tune up, is my point. They're just jumping at the chance for that new car status.
    The most laughable point is that the majority of trade-in's are going to foreign made vehicles, which gives a very low benefit to this economy.

8. mynameisnobody

mynameisnobody New Member

I suspect that the major benefit is that (1) the program encourages consumers to rack up more debt (assuming that most weren't buying these new cars with cash), and then (2) the increased debt allows the govt. to release statistics showing increased "consumer confidence" - they don't officially call it "consumer debt" any more. Finally, this increased "consumer confidence" can be attributed to whatever govt. program needs some positive PR at the moment.

9. Rikter8

Gold Member

Albums:
    Bingo.

10. B_Enough_for_Me

B_Enough_for_Me New Member

Couldn't be more true.

People think they are saving money buying a "more fuel efficient" car. Dealer's aren't stupid. They know who is coming in for this deal, people with no money. So, you can expect the high mileage, entry level car prices to increase by, oh, about $4,500. People think they are getting a deal when they take money from someone else (through their representative) and buy a car with it. I can't begin to explain how absurd this is. There was a news story on the radio in CO about one of the dealers being completely sold out of Ford Focus'. They have 6 coming this month and they are already sold. Imagine what they next 6 will cost.

On top of this, you'd be money ahead (even with the Cash for Clunkers program) buying used. New cars are a horrible investment, period.

Effectively, what you see here is the government taking advantage of the ignorant.

11. midlifebear

Gold Member

These are all rather informative comments. Thanks for contributing. The guys who keep my chunk of Nevada in order wanted to get rid of the 1995 Jeep Wrangler (16 mpg) and the 1995 Dodge RAM 4x4 Cummins Diesel (9 to 14 mpg) for the last three years. I did too. But instead of the Cash for Clunkers deal I had them drop both vehicles off at my mechanic's shop on the main drag of Wells (don't blink or you'll miss it), Nevada. Chris, my mechanic, sold the pickup to a guy with a hay farm for $11,000 and then Chris bought my old Jeep Wrangler YJ for $6,000 (he needed something to bounce around in when he goes deer hunting). I found a gas V8 Dodge Ram via the Internet in Twin Falls, Idaho and authorized the the ranch hands to "go buy it if it's in good shape." It's a 2009 4x4 the dealership had to repossess. Now the dust has settled I'm the owner of a "slightly used" (5,900 miles) Dodge RAM 2500 4x4 that gets 28 mpg on the highway, which is a Hell of a lot better than 9 - 14 mpg. When you have a ranch you need a truck to haul shit. A Toyota Carolla isn't any good for hauling T-posts and barb wire to repair fences. Anyway, we did a lot better selling off the old vehicles and using the cash to defray the total costs of a new vehicle (which didn't qualify for the Cash for Clunkers, by the way). Anyway, it's paid for. I just hope the sound system is as good as the old 95 Dodge Infinity surround sound.

The irony is that I live 10+ months in Spain and have no need for an automobile.

Draft saved Draft deleted