Bought a new Windows 7 PC

Discussion in 'Et Cetera, Et Cetera' started by Mem, Oct 28, 2009.

1. Mem

Mem
    Gold Member

I got it yesterday. It's a Dell inspiron. It's a budget PC, but I don't do any gaming or things that need intensive graphics. It has 4GB of Ram and 500 GB hard drive and it only cost $530 including tax. I got it at Staples.

I finally set it up today to all my peripherals as I will use it as a desktop replacement. I had trouble connecting it online to Comcast, but I was able to reset the modem. I had to call Comcast anyway to reset my password.

So far I am very happy with it as it is lightning quick. My old vista had only 1GB of Ram and I used a USB thumb drive with Powerboost to make it faster. I was also running out of Hard Drive space. One time it had crashed and when it backedup it has taken up 70% of the harddrive space.

Now I am just checking all the regluar web pages I visit and logging in to them again. I also Downloaded Google Chrome and Firefox since I do not like IE. I also downloaded uTorrent and VLC Media Player. I also backed up my iTunes and important Documents to my external hard drive. I think I am set for now.

2. D_Tim McGnaw

D_Tim McGnaw Account Disabled

Is Windows 7 as intuitive to use as the marketing would have us believe it is ?

3. Mem

Mem
    Gold Member

I don't know what these intuitive elements are. It found all the drivers automatically for all my peripherals as soon as I connected them. 2 printers, 1 USB hub drive. My External Hard Drive. My external mouse and keyboard.

The new taskbar is really cool. It has icon instead of the names of the open programs. You put your cursor over the icon and it displays a small image of the open pages. I have two open Firefox pages and it displays both as a full screen and small icon and lets me click on either one.

4. HellsKitchenmanNYC

Gold Member

Albums:
    Thx Mem. Anything has to be better than Vista. I missed XP and wanna try 7. I wonder if I install 7 on my laptop if I can delete Vista to have that extra space?

5. vince

Gold Member

Albums:
    I've been using W7 since May on a laptop and on a desktop at the office. It's so much better than XP or Vista. AutoCad actually runs like it should (finally). I've had no compatibility or driver or networking issues, no system crashes, and like you said Mem, it's much quicker.

For me, it's a no-brainer to recommend that this is finally a Microshit OS that works properly.

6. D_Tim McGnaw

I like Vista :( But I'm dead excited to try Windows 7 so maybe a new laptop is going on my Xmas present list.... Santa ARE YOU LISTENING ?

7. HellsKitchenmanNYC

Gold Member

Albums:
    PS I also heard MS issued several patches for it already. Still want it.....and an Italian Greyhound......:D

8. vince

Gold Member

Albums:
    It updates itself and you hardly even notice it.

But I'd go for the puppy...

9. Pendlum

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo
    Every OS is like that.

10. D_Tim McGnaw

OMG !!!! I want an Italian Greyhound too :eek::biggrin1::tongue:

11. Northland

Gold Member

Interesting. My current system-XP, is getting out of sorts after a few years and I'd been thinking about the 7, was hesitant though about going for it until good reports came in.

Draft saved Draft deleted