Bowe Bergdahl

ConanTheBarber

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
This was the first step toward closing Gitmo. Now that the worst of the bunch are gone, Obama can start jettisoning more and more jihadists.
I'm pretty sure this is what will happen. There's no percentage in the U.S. holding alleged Taliban members once the U.S. no longer has a combat role.

There is some debate about just how bad the released five actually were. One of them supposedly was a clearly committed jihadist, probably still committed to that 7th century vision ... but the other four, at least according to some accounts, were not particularly dangerous.

Eric_8

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Insightful stuff Slurp :rolleyes:

So apparently, and feel free to correct me if I'm mistaken, a classified report on Bergdahl's activities has already been completed, perhaps for quite some time.

Does anyone know if this is the kind of report that will become public? Or will it be forever obscured in the red tape of government bureaucracy?

I for one, would very much like to see its findings.

Let's see if we can get a response or two in before Balsary finds a way to use this post as an indicator of my ignorant, close-minded ways!

KTF40

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I think the common assumption is that if the report cleared Bergdahl of being a deserter it would have been released yesterday by the Obama Admin in an attempt to defend the decision. Since it's still classified, it seems to only confirm the leaks of the report that it's not some type of document that will assist the Prez in his decision making process.

Eric_8

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I think the common assumption is that if the report cleared Bergdahl of being a deserter it would have been released yesterday by the Obama Admin in an attempt to defend the decision. Since it's still classified, it seems to only confirm the leaks of the report that it's not some type of document that will assist the Prez in his decision making process.

While I'm likely to be chastised for agreeing with you, this seems like the logical assumption.

It'd be hard to imagine foregoing the chance for positive PR...especially after that "weight lifting" video fiasco lol.

Dakota Kid

Admired Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Cavorting between fresh and salt water peninsulas.
Verification
View
Sexuality
No Response
Leon Panetta has now came out and said he was against the swap when he was advising Obama. This is a big pile of shit Obama intentionally stepped in. And the stink is getting worse and worse.

“I don't fault the administration for wanting to get him back. I do question whether the conditions are in place to make sure these terrorists don't go back into battle,” former CIA director and Secretary of Defense Leon Panetta told a gas industry gathering in Pittsburgh.

Panetta, who was in the Cabinet for four of the five years Bergdahl spent in Taliban custody, said he opposed a swap for the terrorists held at Guantanamo Bay, Cuba, when he was Defense secretary.

“I said, ‘Wait, I have an obligation under the law,'” Panetta said during a lunchtime address at the Hart Energy Developing Unconventionals DUG East conference at the David L. Lawrence Convention Center, Downtown. “If I send prisoners from Guantanamo, they have to guarantee they don't go back to the battlefield. I had serious concerns.”

He said talks fell apart because the Taliban “asked for five top guys.” He did not say when during his 2011-13 tenure in the Pentagon that discussions took place.

“I just assumed it was never going to happen,” Panetta said.

In Pittsburgh, Leon Panetta questions prisoner swap with Taliban | TribLIVE

ConanTheBarber

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Don't have a link, but there is some talk that this was a self-preserving strategy while in terrorist hands. Makes sense but who knows? (As you must know, throughout the faith's history, conversion was often forced at the point of the sword.)
We'll have to see what Bergdahl says once he's facing a microphone.

matt19

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
It will be said to be anything from self preservation to Stockholm syndrome.

But the fact is the guy deserted. I personally think he went over to the other side, but they probably won't be able to prove that.

At best he will be court martialed. At worst, Leavenworth for a long time. He won't be executed.

What will be very interesting to see is how Obama will go about clearing Gitmo. He's got a pen and a phone you know.

Eric_8

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Don't have a link, but there is some talk that this was a self-preserving strategy while in terrorist hands. Makes sense but who knows? (As you must know, throughout the faith's history, conversion was often forced at the point of the sword.)

Certainly. Tough though I consider myself to be, I am under no delusion that I could even begin to handle the shit that Bergdahl and others have endured.

However, with convicting the man, there are other worrisome details that make his conversion seem a good deal less coerced than the sword scenario you raised.

I'd love to know the administration's rationale prior to signing off on the agreement. Did they have this information? If so, did they assume the public's reaction would be nothing but glowing? Did they care?

My assumption is that they knew the info, and that the administration severely misjudged the way the winds would blow regarding Bergdahl.

Eric_8

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I'd love to see you attempt to support that statement.

Which do you consider more probable?

No, neither Matt nor myself can prove that Bergdahl was a deserter, but the evidence, which continues to mount, seems to point squarely to desertion as the most likely conclusion.

rbkwp

Mythical Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
heres something to give some of you more hate for a foreigners perspective,or for dare speaking up .. and offering an opinion/assumption ..

laughing
that the all Mighty USA and its fantastic leaders the current Obama
Administration appear to have allowed a stupid swap/and unleashed a
programmed Terrorist in your midst
Now you will have to contain him for life, i am figuring a diagnosis
of mental incapacity, because of his years in captivity
convenient excuse as usual
just as they are likely to do a deal with Ru to get Snowden back, same
thing will likely happen to him

think Chelsea Manning
who knows what they got up to to make him/her what he is today ..

Ed69

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay

slurper_la

Superior Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight

and not just that faith:

Forced conversion - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

CONVERSION TO CHRISTIANITY - JewishEncyclopedia.com

How Christianity Rose to Dominate Europe

Eric_8

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay