Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay

rawbone8

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
dolf250 said:
Just in case anybody actually believed in the Canadian utopia portrayed the film bowling for Columbine: http://www.canada.com/calgaryherald/news/story.html?id=30ff7910-dad2-4589-83b0-99b76ae2d47c
Pay special attention to the third last paragraph about the 14 women shot in 1989 at the ecole polytechnique. Same city and now two mass school shootings. It is a sad day in a country where we supposedly have no use for door locks and have no gun crime.
Moore is a propagandist who liberally uses hyperbole when describing Canada. The truth is we have much more in common with Americans than differences.

That said, we share many of the same problems. Illegal guns are readily available on black market sources. Smuggling is as easy as ever with our border to the USA being pretty porous.

Nutcases like this guy are rogue human beings and there is little that can be done to prevent them from doing this kind of butchery.

Such a waste of lives and grief for all those families. Deplorable.

jakeatolla

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
No use for door locks ? Moore has obviously never visited The projects in Scarberia. Or for that matter anywhere in the GTA.

JustAsking

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Do you think suburban life is a soulless and alienating in Candada as it is in the USA? In the USA we have a very mobile population, so almost everyone in a town is from somewhere else. I think this is a big factor in creating alienated kids who do this kind of stuff. As the old African saying goes, "It takes a village to raise a child." And we have no more villages in the USA it seems.

dolf250

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
I'll take a crack at that. I'm from Calgary, what is now considered a boom town in a boom province. I worked in Fort McMurray. The population there is over 50 000 with 10- 20 000 more men in camps surrounding the city. In the early 70's the population was a few thousand. In Calgary it is very rare to meet a Calgarian.

In one way I would say that it is a soulless, but like everything else, if you make an effort you can get to know some people and you need not live an empty life. On the other hand with the increasing pace of life people are always on the move and it makes most relationships (especially the ones I have had in McMurray) feel very temporary. No matter how close you feel you have to know that the time will come for one of you to move on. I read a book written in the late 60's or early 70's called future shock. I gather it was a popular novel back then. It predicted some of the effects that an increasing pace of life would have and how hard it would be for us to adapt.

There are no more real villages that I can see either. Everybody wants to just go about their business and for sure in this province there is a huge rush. No company can get enough people and so there is an increased work load on all remaining employees. Time off is hard to get because there is nobody to fill in anymore. This has created a strain on marriages and families. Friendships are equally effected. If, as a person in a relationship you have no friends to talk to then all of the roles that a friend used to fill need to be filled by your husband/wife putting further strain on that relationship. I am now 11-12 hours a day 6 days a week. I would happily give up a few dollars and hour in exchange for my Saturdays. I would love a weekend and a life

I knew of couples working in the mine who would go to work for the weekend and give their teen 2-300 dollars as if cash would fill the void. Needless to say the rate of addiction amongst teens (and adults) in that city is one of the worst in the country. I have seen middle aged men from Newfoundland crying in a public restaurant because they have missed the last 2 years of their children's lives being separated by the entire continent. This means that not only is the village no longer there for that child, but the father is not either.

I am quite tired, and reading this the thoughts are not very well connected, but the ramblings do, I think, tie in with the question. The short answer is yes, it is somewhat alienating up here as well, and not just suburban life. Life in the small towns is affected as the population moves out of the towns and into the city in search of a better lifethat is just not there when they arrive.

SpeedoGuy

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
Well dolf, I think you've put your finger on some of the same social problems we face on the south side of the border.

JustAsking brings up a good question: Is everyday life in the suburbs of Vancouver, Edmonton or Toronto just as alienating and soulless as life in say, Sacramento, Omaha or Baltimore? I don't know. Are there as many obese, painkiller-addicted, neurotic, violent sociopaths in Alberta as there are in Texas? Again, I don't know. I've not visited Canada very much but I whenever I did I knew enough not to expect birchbark canoes tied up alongside quaint log cabin villages situated on picturesque lakes. I mean, I was accosted by scraggly panhandlers in Edmonton as often as I was in Seattle.

Still, the recent tragedy aside, stats would suggest that Canadians remain much less likely than Americans to gun each other down in arguments over parking spaces or youth sports refereeing. I hope that continues to be the case for Canada.

jeff black

Expert Member
Media
SpeedoGuy said:
Still, the recent tragedy aside, stats would suggest that Canadians remain much less likely than Americans to gun each other down in arguments over parking spaces or youth sports refereeing. I hope that continues to be the case for Canada.

I second that, Speedoguy. :smile:

headbang8

Admired Member
Media
Sexuality
80% Gay, 20% Straight
SpeedoGuy said:

The US has a problem. We keep company with the likes of Georgia and Panama.

rawbone8

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
headbang8 said:
The US has a problem. We keep company with the likes of Georgia and Panama.

Interesting chart HB8.

I didn't realize that the difference was quite so dramatic. The USA figure is 17 times higher than the Canadian figure for assault by handgun discharge (per capita)

D_Gunther Snotpole

Account Disabled
Media
rawbone8 said:
Interesting chart HB8.

I didn't realize that the difference was quite so dramatic. The USA figure is 17 times higher than the Canadian figure for assault by handgun discharge (per capita)

That's probably right, Rawbone. But that doesn't mean our murder rate is 1/17th of the American rate. We find other ways to kill apart from guns (e.g., our infamous midnight wackings with petrified beaver tales) ... but nonetheless our murder rate is far closer to the Western European level.

Michael Moore idealizes Canada, but he's guilty merely of exaggerating the differences between Canada and the US. He doesn't make them up. They exist, and they're worth something.

D_Humper E Bogart

Experimental Member
Media
Anyway, I dunno what people are moaning about Moore about. Best method to disprove something is easy...prove them wrong.

Yeah, Canada is a hell-hole filled with yokels who need to spend testosterone and shoot foreigners and themsevles for equal measure, is ruled by a dickehad who misunderestimates just about anything and thinks aid is a disease when non-capitalised.

jeff black

Expert Member
Media
ORCABOMBER said:
Yeah, Canada is a hell-hole filled with yokels who need to spend testosterone and shoot foreigners and themsevles for equal measure, is ruled by a dickehad who misunderestimates just about anything and thinks aid is a disease when non-capitalised.

Clearly you haven't been to Canada lately. You seem to have your definition of us confused with your DEFINITION of AMERICA.

Since when does Canada have to follow America around and clean up all its messes?

* Ring Ring
" Hey Canada, it's America. We want blow the shit out of some eastern country, so get your asses over there and help us do it. Why?? Because they won't share their oil. And say hi to mom."

Fuck that shit. I am not busting my ass to fight a war that may not have been valid to start with.

As for the shootings... it was a terrible thing that occured. I knew a few people who went to that school.