Boy confesses to playing with matches

DGirl

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
When hubby told me that. I was like that kid had a LOT of GUTS to tell someone. Or his family had a LOT of GUTS to tell the world.

Rikter8

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
Burn his fingers, and tell him never ever to do it again.

All the rest is a loss. I don't know his age..but by the sounds of it...he's too young to know any better.

Again....where's the parental supervision??
The parents need to be asked the question.

Suing the parents isn't going to do any good as the damage is too extensive.

agnslz

Loved Member
Media
I'd slap him silly!:biggrin:

There were a couple of wildfires here along the Rio Grande a few years ago, one of which was set by kids playing with fireworks in the forest along the river. Another was set by a homeless man who had made a campfire. It seems insane to me that in this day and age people don't know that perhaps that's not a very good thing to do.:eek:

transformer_99

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
We had that discussion today too. Ranging from "let the kid off" to my personal stance, that was to "lock him up for life" were solutions. We're talking millions in property loss/damages. But that's not what I base locking him up for, mine was based upon the deaths, injuries and so on. It's tough sh*t this kid doesn't know any better. If one person died a horrible fiery death from his negligence, be it ignorance, that in my book is manslaughter at the very least. The parents should be held accountable for as much of the financial burden too. I know it sounds harsh, but let's face it, why should the rest of us bail this out financially, why should others bear emotional angst and grief from this. All of this is going to happen regardless, I just have an issue with anyone saying "he didn't know any better".

Not_Punny

Superior Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
A neighbor's fence almost burned down a few days ago when he two boys (aged 7 and 8) were playing with matches. It's no joke here in SoCal.

transformer_99

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
A neighbor's fence almost burned down a few days ago when he two boys (aged 7 and 8) were playing with matches. It's no joke here in SoCal.

And there's a reason the child that started this/these fire(s) and the family has not been publicly named. I doubt they would make it for very long beyond that announcement.

joejack

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
50% Straight, 50% Gay
Get out of the hills people. There is just too much fuel up there. It's gonna burn eventually. The only safe option for building up there would be underground. The natives used to periodically burn off the underbrush to open up the hills for the larger game that they liked to hunt. Move to a safer area, like south central Los Angeles.

Principessa

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Wow!
What would you do if it had been your child who in playing with matches was found to be the cause of the massive Southern California fires that have been raging for the last few weeks?
I might have to spank him and explain that it was his behavior that was displeasing and not him. NO! Forget it, that's just too lame a punishment.:rolleyes:

Maybe make him volunteer to work with me at one of the shelters where people have been forced to stay. Make him donate some of his favorite toys and clothes to those displaced by the fire. The trick is not to replace them right away.

When you look at the miles and miles of devastation there really is no appropriate punishment for a child so young.

9incharkansasdick

Experimental Member
Media
My God! I suppose none of you "lock 'em up for life" people never did anything wrong or stupid or out of ignorance. Yes, you ALL did. Maybe not with these consequences, but yes, we've all done things that COULD have been devastating.

Let's say that those of you who snuck around to smoke dropped the fire from your lit cigarette in your grandfather's barn. Let's say that when the fire completely engulfed the barn, it collapses and hurts someone trying to put out the fire. Let's also say you admit to dropping your cigarette and starting the fire. Yes, you need to be punished, but life in prison? You need your ass blistered, grounded, scolded and then you need loved.

Grandpa lost his barn just like these people have lost their homes. Nothing will get the homes back just like nothing will get the barn back. Maybe a lesson is learned here.

joejack is right. Those hills are full of fuel. This happens periodically. Maybe not this bad, but it does happen. That is a dry area and shit happens. These people who build there know that. Insurance companies know that, and they offer outrageous prices for fire insurance in that area. hmmm....maybe they know something the home owners didn't. ya think?

Come on people, get real. This family can't begin to repay the billions lost. The child can't begin to right the wrong. Learn from this and move on.

jeunessedoree

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
^Yes, I believe that will work.
"Son, I just want you to know that causing statewide forest fires that have killed over 10 people and have cost millions of dollars in damages is not okay. Just wanted to tell you...Otherwise, how's your day?"

HazelGod

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
We had that discussion today too. Ranging from "let the kid off" to my personal stance, that was to "lock him up for life" were solutions. We're talking millions in property loss/damages. But that's not what I base locking him up for, mine was based upon the deaths, injuries and so on.

Geez, people...before you go all "hellfire and brimstone" on the kid, you might want to avail yourselves of the facts.

This kid confessed to starting one of the fires in the LA area, not all of the fires in California. The "Buckweed Fire" only burned 21 homes, roughly 38,000 acres, and claimed no human lives.

For some perspective, the fires' total damage estimate is around 1,800 homes and over a half-million acres burned. I'm not saying that the kid is without blame, but be realistic...he's only responsible for about 7.5% of the damage and no loss of life.

SpoiledPrincess

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
The boy was 10, an age when kids should know that certain actions can result in disaster, he started a fire deliberately (he didn't intend to start the much larger fire it resulted in) and at that age he knew this was something that was wrong. As parents we're supposed to teach our kids right from wrong, he either knew this was wrong and didn't care of he was unaware this was wrong, in either case it would seem that his parents hadn't taught him all that they should.