Boy scouts fundraising

Discussion in 'Et Cetera, Et Cetera' started by mattsrod7, Sep 25, 2011.

1. mattsrod7

Gold Member

Albums:
    So I went to the store today, and on the way in I told the boy scouts I wasn't interested in supporting boy scouts *i e i didnt' wanna buy it*. Then while shopping I thought of my cousin's son who was a boy scout and had to raise money. So on the way out I figured I'd stop by their table and buy a bag or two of popcorn, I figured what, 3 or4 dollars? Like girl scout cookies right? But when they brought me to the selection, everything was $20 and up! I was like WTF. I already felt entrapped to buy something since I told the father and son that I had reconsidered and knew how hard fundraising was. But 20$ for a bag of popcorn, that's really pushing it, no wonder they have so much trouble selling stuff. Girl scouts are like 3 to 4 dollars a box, I could've had 5 boxes of cookies from them.

2. Bbucko

Gold Member

Albums:
    I don't know anything about what's going on in contemporary scouting, but, in an effort to be the son my parents wanted instead of the kid I knew I was, I was involved with them in the late 60s and early 70s. Some of the worst memories of my childhood involve my time spent as a cub, a webelo and a boy scout.

<shudder>

3. Horrible

Horrible New Member

Albums:
    It isn't about fair trade, it's about helping the scout troop isn't it?

4. AquaEyes11010

AquaEyes11010 Active Member

Albums:
    The same amount of money would go farther if you just sent in a donation.

5. august86

august86 Member

Albums:
    I enjoyed scouts.
    My best friend at the time convinced me to join, so it became our thing.
    Strangely enough, we never did any fundraising; the parents had to pay for activities and excursions.

So many lessons and skills learned though.

6. Cutecock87

Cutecock87 Member

Albums:
    I'm an active member of the scouts and i totaly agree with you that 20 bucks for a bag of popcorn is way to much.
    We organise ower own lotery and the tickets for that lotery cost &#8364;2.50 a piece.
    When you buy such a ticket you "adopt" a bathtub duck.
    All the adopted ducks will be trown in the river at the same time. The first 20 ducks that arive at the end of the line will win a prize. Last time we did it we had more then 4.500 ducks in the water.

At the start point we build a construction that will let all the ducks in at once. Every year it is something differnt. At the fininsh we have a big tent with music, food, drinks, a bouncy castle and ofcourse all the prizes that can be won. So if you diside to come and witness the duckrace you can claim your prize the same day.

7. midlifebear

Gold Member

My scoutmaster taught me how to fuck at Boy Scout Camp. I learned a lot as a Boy Scout. But by the time I'd earned the status of Eagle Scout, I was trumped out of house, home, and community for being a "faggot."

Under no circumstance will I ever support ANY BSA project/activity. The BSA is just 'Mericuh's version of Brown Shirts. They discriminate against gays/lesbians and anyone who doesn't believe in god. Fuck 'em. Send the $20 to the local food bank. They don't need the BSA to run interference for them.

8. Rikter8

Gold Member

Albums:
    I stopped supporting Boy Scouts when I found out that the organization was teaching homophobia, and wouldn't allow one gay father or his scout to participate.

Hopefully others will follow, and that organization will be forced to change or close up shop completely.
    Let the kids do something more healthy and constructive than fill some bigot's pocket books.

Give a donation to your local animal shelter. $20 would be greatly appreciated and would buy dog/cat food for a week or two.

9. rob_just_rob

Gold Member

Whenever I am asked for money from the boy scouts or a similar group, my response is usually "sorry, I don't fund paramilitary organizations".

I do like girl scout cookies though. Despite that sounding dirty.

10. Horrible

Horrible New Member

Albums:

paramilitary? really?

I guess you do not pay traffic tickets either?

sheesh.

your response makes me want to donate more.

11. rob_just_rob

Gold Member

Go ahead, it's not my money :shrugs: . Nobody's stopping you.

And FWIW, I haven't paid a traffic ticket in about 15 years, although I'm not sure what that has to do with anything...

12. MASSIVEPKGO_CHUCK

MASSIVEPKGO_CHUCK Well-Known Member

Never, EVER, commit to buying anything from fundraisers till you know the price.

13. FuzzyKen

FuzzyKen New Member

I was hit by BSA at Sam's Club this last weekend. Same experience, overpriced junk for one, and my response to the young kid was just simply that their organization represents viewpoints with which I do not agree. I tried to leave it there, but, the kid pressed for more details. The words I used were elitist, sexist, anti-semetic, homophobic and I explained that the viewpoints worst portrayed were based on books written under which the BSA operates that date back way to far to be in tune with a changing world. While some survival skills taught are good, one can learn those and far better in other places. I told the kid that it was nothing against him personally, but, that I would not only not support the organization, but, would be the first were I in high political office to require either change or a break up of the whole thing.

Draft saved Draft deleted