BOYCOTT Nike until they stop sponsoring Michael Vick!

Discussion in 'Et Cetera, Et Cetera' started by Principessa, Jul 18, 2007.

1. Principessa

Gold Member

Michael Vick of the Atlanta Falcons football team has recently been charged with owning and operating a dog fighting business in Virginia.

This man is not a role model for the youth of our country. Michael Vick is a disgrace to humanity. This is in addition to past charges of public profanity and smoking marijuana in public. I find his behavior to be abhorrent, despicable, and common.

His primary sponsor is Nike. I have been a loyal Nike customer since I was in high school; but no more. I will be letting all my friends know of his despicable deeds and encouraging them to BOYCOTT NIKE until they terminate all dealings with Michael Vick of the Atlanta Falcons.

MICHAEL VICK LINKS

Nike sponsorship Michael Vick - Google Search

http://www.ajc.com/sports/content/sports/falcons/stories/2007/07/18/vickmedia_0719.html

http://www.ajc.com/sports/content/sports/falcons/stories/2007/07/18/0719vickjudge.html

http://www.ajc.com/sports/content/sports/falcons/stories/2007/07/06/0706vick.html

http://www.thesmokinggun.com/archive/0405051vick1.html

http://deadspin.com/sports/nfl/michael-vick-likes-to-watch-dogs-kill-each-other-255534.php

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/football/nfl/falcons/2007-07-18-vick-business-impact_N.htm

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/10260774

2. vortex22222

vortex22222 New Member

Albums:
    I agree! This kind of thing is happening far too many times with our sports "heros" . I don't think that he should ever play football again. Sorry fans, we'll have to find a new quarterback.

As my Great Grandmother used to say, "If you think that you are invincable, take a walk through a cemetary.

3. B_Hickboy

B_Hickboy New Member

I never bought any of their shit products, anyway. Are there any other companies I can boycott because of him?

4. wingnut84

wingnut84 New Member

I've refused to support Nike ever since I realized their entire business model was based on exploiting poor people in third world countries. Sponsoring a dog-fighter is merely another wrong on a LONG list.

5. rob_just_rob

Gold Member

I'm game for a boycott once he has been found guilty. The activities he is accused of are pretty vile.

Much as I'd like such a job, it's at times like this that I don't envy the job of a sports franchise's general manager. Sign moderately talented kids with good character, and the team will be mediocre at best. Sign highly talented kids with questionable character, and you run the risk of getting a Rae Carruth, Ryan Leaf, Ricky Williams, or the Cincinnattica Bengals.

6. whatireallywant

Gold Member

Very true...

It helps that I can't wear their shoes anyway. I can only wear New Balance or some Sauconys (for athletic shoes) because I have wide feet and these are the only ones I know of that come in wide widths.

7. Principessa

Gold Member

"Sign highly talented kids with questionable character, and you run the risk of getting a Rae Carruth, Ryan Leaf, Ricky Williams, or the Cincinnattica Bengals."

This statement is the crux of the problem and one I have had a big problem with for over 20 years.

I know I will get flamed but I have long had a problem with sports recruiters canvassing poor, rural, and inner city youths for professional and college teams. I know that's their job and that it's all about the money.

Let me clarify myself. I don't think these young men don't deserve a chance; but because no one ever takes the time to teach them how to behave like decent, civilized, human beings these things are bound to occur.

It may sound silly and elitist but I think all athletes (regardless of where or how they were reared) should be required to attend and pass classes in etiquette, manners, ethics; and morals; especially the young ones. Treat them all like Eliza Doolittle. :rolleyes: They need to be taught what many of us were taught at home or by our faith.

8. rob_just_rob

Gold Member

I know.

But we have to have a trial anyway.

One reason I enjoy minor league and university sports is that the athletes aren't as likely to be arrogant egomaniacs (some are, but it seems like fewer than in the major sports leagues).

9. whatireallywant

Gold Member

Don't forget Ron Artest... :biggrin1:

10. bobabooey69

Gold Member

Albums:
    I haven't bought a Nike product in 15 years. Overpriced for crappy quality.

11. rob_just_rob

Gold Member

I was sticking with the NFL.

But yes, there is Artest, Elijah Dukes, Theoren Fleury, and many others in all the major sports. And probably all the minor ones.

12. SpeedoGuy

Gold Member

Albums:
    Unfortunately, I believe big time college athletic (at least those in the US) are even more crooked than the pros. At least the pros don't deny they're about making money. Not so for college sports. College sports still try to hide behind the myth of the "student athlete." What a laugh. When it comes to big time college sports like football and basketball, the money that pours in from promotions, alumni, endorsements, TV, and everything just makes a mockery of the concept of scholarship, class attendance, and academic achievement on the part of the athletes, to say nothing of their civic responsibilities and role modeling.

13. mindseye

Gold Member

Ugh. Here in Blacksburg, we're used to Marcus being the Vick grabbing the ugly headlines.

14. monstro

monstro New Member

I don't wear Nike stuff in general, but I sure wouldn't ever buy anything endorsed by Michael Vick. If these allegations are proven true, then he's a despicable human being.

15. Principessa

Gold Member

Well said, I quite agree.

Lest we forget Latrell Sprewell.

16. whatireallywant

Gold Member

I had to give a mention to Ron Artest because I was living in Indianapolis when that Pacers/Pistons brawl incident happened.

The Pacers have really gone downhill in recent years. O/T I know... (I used to watch a lot of basketball, though...)

17. Mr. Snakey

Gold Member

18. rob_just_rob

Gold Member

I'm not in the US :smile:

19. Principessa

Gold Member

I didn't list everything he was charged with, it was too gross. I was eating lunch when I first saw the report. I almost lost said lunch when I heard what he and his henchmen had done. The Atlanta news showed the pens and explained what exactly had been done to these poor dogs. Sad to say but I think the lucky ones died. :mad: :frown1:

20. MASSIVEPKGO_CHUCK

MASSIVEPKGO_CHUCK Well-Known Member

Y'know, I read about this in yesterday's DAILY NEWS, and god, lemme tell you this; these two guys are disgraceful and despicable, using dogs for their own profit as well as pleasure.

Draft saved Draft deleted