Boyfriend taking a side against me

rembrandt1603

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
My guy and I took a weekend get away after dating for five months. Two of themby then had been exclusively. For the most part, it seemed to go well. He changed his FB status to “in a relationship” and told me that he was in love with me immediately after the trip.

There is one snag here. On a flights back, we encountered a woman who I believed exhibited creepy behavipr. We were coming from one of the Southern European cities on our way to London. The creepy traveller came from behind as we were making our to the next gate. She asked in Italian whether we were going to London. My Italian is minimal and his is nil. So I asked back in Italian something along the lines “are you going as a tourist?” She could not answer back. As she was Sothern European herself, I had not thought at first that she might not Italian and therefore her repertoire of the language was even more truncated than mine.

But after establishing that we could not communicate, she continued to follow closely behind. I expressed my concern to my guy wondering what she could want from us and what we would be prepared to give her. I certainly did not have time or inclination to be her travel buddy or to even let a stranger stay at my place. Since my guy didn’t suggest that she stay at his or that he might even help her look for a hotel or hostel to stay in , nor suggested that he could anything else he might.do.

When we got to our gate, fortunately, she chose not sit on or near our bank of chairs……there was quite a bit of space and empty seats elsewhere on this occasion that she could avoid us. I did notice that she had a Romanian passport to which I said to my guy “no wonder, she couldn’t respond in Italian” and also “we need to be careful because the greatest numbers of gypsies come from Romania and my experience with them is that they are pickpockets.”

Oh, my goodness, My guy has branded me as a selfish racist. I let it drop after I asked him if there was anything that he would like for this woman but effectively dodged answering the question.

I of course would not raise it now but for the fact that about two weeks ago we were having a TV watching marathon (he downloads lots of American shows that we both miss) and had apparently a bit much to drink. He raised that issue expressing the same sentiments against me. Perhaps someone could enlighten me about the way men think. Maybe it’s a woman thing but my safety comes before helping anyone and my on the spot risk assessment of others is based on prior experience.

Should I be concerned about having a problem with my guy?

I would have said exactly the same thing, being incredibly intolerant of general stereotyping, parthian bigotry and all the like.

The fact that you didn't simply say 'let's get away from her' or something of the sort, but took the time to brand her as a 'Romanian gypsy' (I mean really, what are the odds?) and that she was only out to pinch your particulars is pretty appalling.

Kotchanski

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
Unsure
I happen to know two Romanians, one of whom displays creepy behaviour on a regular basis to the point where I find it impossible to interact with him. His wife on the other hand is a braindead bint and quite frankly a waste of oxygen.

He works in IT, they both enjoy outdoor pursuits, they both travel on a regular basis to Britain and various other European countries to indulge in their chosen hobby.

There's a reason I typed that, honestly!

I just called one Romanian creepy, or stipulated that he was behaving in a creepy way, the other I said was a waste of Oxygen... Nowhere did I say anything about the country as a whole.

Can you see the difference? Or is your head so far up your racist ass that you're blinded by the shit you're spewing?

I'm with your BF on this, though I'd have walked away there and then. Comments like that have no excuse and there is no explanation good enough to warrant sticking around.

Colour me highly offended that you thought running to a group of women to side with you in the hopes that female solidarity would outweigh our disgust was a good way to win this lovers tiff :rolleyes:

RedScrotum

Superior Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
50% Straight, 50% Gay

I expressed my concern to my guy wondering what she could want from us and what we would be prepared to give her. I certainly did not have time or inclination to be her travel buddy or to even let a stranger stay at my place. Since my guy didn’t suggest that she stay at his or that he might even help her look for a hotel or hostel to stay in , nor suggested that he could anything else he might.do.

Perhaps someone could enlighten me about the way men think.

Should I be concerned about having a problem with my guy?

I think you are the problem.

Gecko4lif

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Question. Does 1 racist comment make you a racist? And if it does, should you even care? Not like your a white supremacist burning down black churches or someone in a position of power specifically passing over more qualified hispanic or asian workers just to hire those of your own race so does it even matter?

D_Phallus P Phyllum

Experimental Member
Media
Perhaps someone could enlighten me about the way men think.

For the record, I also think this statement is highly suspect. It's as if she thinks *all men think the same way!* Can this woman stop thinking of people only in terms of the group they belong to?

I'm sure there are some men out there who would prorbably completely agree with you, that the 'creepy' acting stranger was definately a romanian gypsy out to steal your wallet. And then there would be others who were mortally offended by your racist insinuation.

I think a consensus is emerging which indicates that ConstantComment is pretty narrow minded, and possibly a bit bigotted. I can see why your boyfriend might object.

B_crackoff

Experimental Member
Media
Sorry, but your guy sounds like a dick.

Part of being in a relationship is protecting each other & addressing each others worries & concerns. If he'd been bothered that you were worried,he'd have made you feel more secure. Being in a foreign environment, with strange people about, can make anyone insecure.

Next time you're at a bar with your fella, & a guy approaches you, chat to the other man & be sweetness & light. If you're accused of flirting, tell him not to be so prejudiced - just because someone talks to you doesn't mean that they want to bed you! (I can't be assed to work out a better example but you get the drift - all prejudices are equal in my book).

Better still, just dump him - he's hardly the man of your dreams riding out to save you is he? The only thing worse than a man who doesn't protect his lady is a man who is oblivious to any trouble coming. You already know that you will feel short changed emotionally in this relationship.

Edit: BTW, Rome is well known for it's pickpockets & thieves targeting tourists, a surprisingly large number of whom aren't Italian. For anyone going there, I'd suggest you read up on the staggering number of tricks these guys & gals have - the dropped baby is the best!

Last edited:

D_Phallus P Phyllum

Experimental Member
Media
Sorry, but your guy sounds like a dick.

Whenever anyone says "Sorry, but..." they're not sorry at all, and what comes after the "but" is usually bullshit.

Being in a foreign environment, with strange people about, can make anyone insecure.

It doesn't have to make you racist though, does it?

Next time you're at a bar with your fella, & a guy approaches you, chat to the other man & be sweetness & light. If you're accused of flirting, tell him not to be so prejudiced - just because someone talks to you doesn't mean that they want to bed you! (I can't be assed to work out a better example but you get the drift - all prejudices are equal in my book).

This kind of game-playing is certain to destroy any relationship; it's some of the worst relationship advice I have ever heard in my life.

The only thing worse than a man who doesn't protect his lady is a man who is oblivious to any trouble coming.

This is the ONLY thing worse? You seriously think that? What about child abuse, murder, torture, genocide? What an absurd thing to say.

BTW, Rome is well known for it's pickpockets & thieves targeting tourists, a surprisingly large number of whom aren't Italian. For anyone going there, I'd suggest you read up on the staggering number of tricks these guys & gals have - the dropped baby is the best!

Erm... where did you get Rome from? Rome is not mentioned in the story! Is it that you think a woman from Romania is from Rome??! lmfao!

blaquehorse

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
In generalising (especially in cases of race, creed and religion), there is a danger of being branded a racist. You may not have intended to be seen in that light but, the comment you made did say something about you.
Remember that we are what we think and our words are ussually fruits derived from the seeds of our thoughts.
Something you may want to ask yourself or your bf is this; was it a randome comment? Have you made other similar comments in the past?
You may be a very kind and nice person but such comments may give-off negetive signals about you.
You posting this threead probably shows that you acted without guile.

blaquehorse

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Having read your later post, i take back my comments; you may have acted with guile. Here you are reeling out statistics on other nationals! Your bf must have known why he said that. He had probably heard similar comments from you in the past. Damn !

ConstantComment

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
****Erm... where did you get Rome from? Rome is not mentioned in the story! Is it that you think a woman from Romania is from Rome??! lmfao!****

We were traveling in Southern Europe. Rome is a city in southern Europe, so the remark is relevant.

nicenycdick

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Most racial profiling is due to a breakdown in logic, as follows:

"All terrorists are Middle-Eastern" is not equivalant to "All Middle-Eastern people are terrorists." Even if the first quote is true (and I know it is not), the second quote is not a logical conclusion based on the first. Does it make sense to generalize about a people based upon the acts of a few? If we have identified 200 terrorists out there and they are Middle-Eastern, are we justified in doing a full body search of every one of the millions of Middle-Eastern travellers in our airports each year? To the exclusion of all others?

I don't think so...

B_Jordan85

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
It seems like you are a lot more street-wise than your boyfriend. You gave good reasons for being suspicious, not to mention she was acting odd. Especially in an airport where everyone is on high alert nowadays. I dunno whether he is a bad guy or not, but he sounds naive and "wants to love everyone." the fact of the matter is that this isn't a hippie world anymore, one must stay on high alert at all times, because many will try to rip you off.

Reminds me of taking a bus to nyc, port authority. the moment you get off the bus, panhandlers offer their services to carry your luggage or bag. Bullshit! I ain't falling for this jazz even if they say, "follow me down this deserted hallway, I can show you a faster way to get to your bus." I said, "I am from Boston, I ain't gonna fall for that." But if I was the type of dude like your bf, I probably would of trusted him, followed him, and got robbed.

Sounds like this incident put a damper on your relationship, Your guy wants to believe that everyone is sincere, but you realistically questioned this. Hopefully it will not ruin the relationship, but it seems like it might of already did because now he is holding a grudge. Fuck him, find your self a cynic, streetwise, bad-ass mutha who would just tell the bitch to back off the moment she approached you. Life is too short to mingle with miscreants.

Last edited:

AlteredEgo

Mythical Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Funny, both of you have missed the fact that she was exhibiting creepy behavior. Before I learned that she was Romanian, I would have preferred that she respected our personal space and realise that since we could not speak a common language that there was no point in following behind us so closely.

My thought was that she could have been a pickpocket long before I saw her passport.
That's not what you said. You only mentioned the possibility of her being a pick-pocket after you mentioned noticing her nationality. I'm not saying you were wrong for thinking that following you to your gate was odd. I myself would have been cautious about being followed while traveling, and would have made many stops in the terminal shops in an attempt to lose the tail. Your boyfriend also called you selfish. I don;t agree with that at all. What I object to is that you seem to be equating Romanian citizenship with being a pick-pocketing gypsy.

D_Gunther Snotpole

Account Disabled
Media
We don't know why ConstantComment felt fear when the woman approached her and her bf. She may not know herself exactly why ... in fact, probably doesn't.
The fact that the woman was following them closely is good cause for alarm.

There are, fwiw, many gypsies from Romania.
Some gypsies ... i.e., far more than most Europeans ... do make a living by pickpocketing. Some years ago, when I was living in Aix-en-Provence, in France, I was warned to be careful about gypsies, and one day, a group of about 12 gypsy children surrounded me and, while smiling broadly, began touching me all over my body. It was obvious, to me at least, that they were going after my wallet, and I had to make a lot of threatening gestures and shout to get them to back off.
I also went to a gypsy festival held at les Saintes Maries de la mer on the Mediterranean. They congregate each year in honour of Saint Sarah, their patron saint. I had a wonderful time, and the gypsies (I suppose I should say Roma) were some of the most welcoming people I met in Europe. But one reason I could relax was that several of them assured me that I would not be pickpocketed during the festival. (To be clear, I wasn't asking ... they volunteered this information.)

Now, it is a rather large leap to assume that a Romanian woman whom you find strange and who follows you rather closely in an airport is both a gypsy and a likely pickpocket. But reacting fearfully in such situations and giving credence to rather arbitrary negative associations is what the mind does. This is a visceral thing. It's part of what some yogic traditions call the negative mind (which everyone has, along with the positive mind, and the neutral mind ... and all have a role and some importance in negotiating the situations that life throws at us).
For her to protectively flinch from the idea of having that woman follow them and perhaps even seek to stay with them in the UK, or even pickpocket them, is fairly normal human thinking, albeit a bit wild. We all do it at some time.

If this was a situational reaction and not typical of her, I would be loathe to assume she is particularly racist.
Perhaps she is, and perhaps her boyfriend knows she is, and perhaps he had some good motives in bringing the issue up some weeks later.
But from my patch of earth, I can't tell if she's racist, and I can't tell whether he was well-intentioned in bringing the matter up, weeks later, when they were both in their cups.
So I find any rush to judgment a bit unfair.

That said, the topic hasn't had good sailing.

B_crackoff

Experimental Member
Media
Whenever anyone says "Sorry, but..." they're not sorry at all, and what comes after the "but" is usually bullshit.

Duhhhhh!

It doesn't have to make you racist though, does it?

So you feel the same walking up to hoodies as old ladies - don't make me laff!

This kind of game-playing is certain to destroy any
relationship; it's some of the worst relationship advice I have ever heard in my life.

Duh! He's a twat, & apparently she's a racist - who cares?

This is the ONLY thing worse? You seriously think that? What about child abuse, murder, torture, genocide? What an absurd thing to say.

Reductio ad absurdum - do you use that when anyone you know is upset? Hey you've had your teeth knocked out, but at least you're not being tortured! Really weak- are your tea bags 3rd hand too!

Erm... where did you get Rome from? Rome is not mentioned in the story! Is it that you think a woman from Romania is from Rome??! lmfao!
****Erm... where did you get Rome from? Rome is not mentioned in the story! Is it that you think a woman from Romania is from Rome??! lmfao!****

We were traveling in Southern Europe. Rome is a city in southern Europe, so the remark is relevant.

Er who said it was - I was just pointing out a place where it actually happens - not in what this thread believes is a racist's mind! You two should get it on, you're on the same wavelength!

FFS - who gets mugged in Departures?:wink:

ConstantComment

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
That's not what you said. You only mentioned the possibility of her being a pick-pocket after you mentioned noticing her nationality. I'm not saying you were wrong for thinking that following you to your gate was odd. I myself would have been cautious about being followed while traveling, and would have made many stops in the terminal shops in an attempt to lose the tail. Your boyfriend also called you selfish. I don;t agree with that at all. What I object to is that you seem to be equating Romanian citizenship with being a pick-pocketing gypsy.

Deeming her behaviour as creepy (ie continuing to invade my personal space even after we determined that we could not verbally communicate), also included the possibility that she could be a pickpocket.

I guess no one has stolen anything from your purse or wallet. When you are carrying either of those items, they have to get close to you to accomplish a theft. When anyone stands unnecessarily close to me, I reacquaint myself with belongings to ensure that they have not been tampered with. The last time my wallet was stolen was 2002. I plan to keep it that way.

AlteredEgo

Mythical Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
But that's not what you said. Look, Lady. You gave a background story, you gave it the way your instinct told you to give it, and I told you how that story came off. You don't need to justify yourself to me. Who gives a flying fuck if I think you hate Romanians? (I don't think that.) Your statements, as presented in your OP strike me as xenophobic. Constantly cleaning it up for me after the fact will not change that. I from the fucking Bronx. I know how to be alert for a pick-pocket, (which is probably most of why my pockets do not get picked) thank you.

Let me ask you something. Why in the hell are you asking for opinions if you're going to argue with anyone who doesn't validate you?