BP CEO at yacht race today

Discussion in 'Politics' started by BigDallasDick8x6, Jun 19, 2010.

1. BigDallasDick8x6

Gold Member

Albums:
  2. exwhyzee

Gold Member

It looks like he finally got his life back.

3. niet

niet New Member

Leave the poor man alone and let him live a life. This is the first story of him having any R&R in the past 60 days. His company could go bankrupt over this oil spill, so I doubt he's not taking things seriously as that article is trying to imply.

4. Countryguy63

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo
    You are kidding, right???

5. B_nyvin

B_nyvin New Member

That shows where his priorities lay.

6. vince

Gold Member

Albums:
    What the hell.. It's Saturday. I took half a day off too.

7. D_Sir Fitzwilly Wankheimer III

Abolutely, like Obama said he cant suck it up with a straw. No Worse than Obama going golfing.

Infact we might have better handle on this if Obama waived the Jones Act. But you know got to protect those unions.

8. FRE

FRE
    Gold Member

Albums:
    Although I have little sympathy for the CEO of BP, so what if he is watching a yacht race? Could he stop the oil leak faster by working 20 hours a day instead of working only 16 hours a day?

There have been many studies showing that when people work more than a certain number of hours, they actually accomplish less. The first study of which I am aware was done not long after England became involved in World War II and was trying to maximize weapon production.

The weapon production employees were expected to work for a couple hours before breakfast, have breakfast at the factory, and work until very late. One employee was castigated for refusal to work before breakfast. She insisted that she was actually getting more work done by not working such long hours, and the records proved her point. Subsequent studies have shown that people can temporarily get more done by working long hours but as fatigue sets in, their total output drops and they can actually accomplish more if they don't work for excessive hours. Also, as fatigue sets in, the ability to think clearly declines and the number of bad decisions increases.

So, although the performance of the CEO of BP leaves much to be desired, faulting him for watching a yacht race makes no sense.

9. Countryguy63

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo
    My concern is that his company is responsible for the devestaion of many livelihoods and occupations. I'm sorry if it seems harsh, but I don't think that those people can take a day off of the worry and watch a yacht race. :frown1:

10. FRE

FRE
    Gold Member

Albums:
    Please explain in total and complete detail exactly what they would be doing with extra hours worked and how by doing so they could cause the problem to be solved more quickly.

Perhaps some people believe that if one woman can have a baby in 9 months, 9 women can have a baby in one month. The point is that extra hours worked, depending on what one is doing and the circumstances, do not necessarily accomplish anything more. There are some things that take a certain amount of time and the time requirements cannot be reduced simply by working longer hours.

11. B_talltpaguy

B_talltpaguy New Member

Exactly when did the Executive Branch get the right to repeal laws of inconvenience, and where in the Constitution is this process described?

And I also think this article's premise is stupid... Just like how I think it's stupid that Republicans hypocritically whine that Obama doesn't care about the oil spill, because he took 30 minutes one day to meet with the NCAA champs, or took a couple of hours another day to have the annual White House picnic with the entire Congress, Reps and Dems alike. (which are both traditional obligations of the president, and certainly aren't 'vacation' time for the president.)... Why didn't anyone howl that Congress was out on a picnic, or that they take every weekend off, or recently took FLAG DAY as a holiday? Oh that's right, because not only does it not matter, but it would implicate Republicans "don't care about the oil spill" either.

#11 B_talltpaguy, Jun 19, 2010
    Last edited: Jun 19, 2010
  12. exwhyzee

Gold Member

I would imagine most people would not have such a problem with him personally taking a day or more off...rather, the fact that he flew back to Europe and is watching a yacht race underscores the difference between his standard of living half a world away versus the standard of living of those who once worked on oil rigs, worked in the tourism industry, or fished in the Gulf before the company he headed changed things. It's the fact that he gets his life back in spades, but for those who live in and around the Gulf, they lose their livelihoods.

This isn't rocket science, but if BP wants to further alienate the American public...it has every right to do that. Its free enterprise.

13. B_VinylBoy

B_VinylBoy New Member

Exactly... As if anyone can't take a small break from their work. The key word here is small. There would be room for concern if this guy took a few months off given the circumstances.

As for the naysayers, I wonder what their supposed work ethic is like? Ever take breaks or do you work 24 hours a day, 8 days a week until your chores are done? If they don't work that hard, why would they expect anyone else to do it (and this is coming from someone who has the equivalent of 2 full time jobs)?

14. FRE

FRE
    Gold Member

Albums:
    I also am disturbed by the extreme and growing gap between rich and poor but see that as a separate issue. But looking at it totally objectively, it is unclear that he could accomplish more by staying in a hotel in Louisiana and making 'phone calls to urge people to do more when it may be that there is, at this time, nothing more than they can do. On the other hand, public relations is important so, from that standpoint, perhaps the CEO of BP could accomplish something by walking around in the stricken area, looking worried, and talking to people, even though doing so would not help to clean up the mess.

15. Boobalaa

Gold Member

I heard this; that in the far east, when there is a problem, The Solution to The Problem is the main Focus..In the Western Hemisphere Culture, when there is a problem, Blaming those who Caused to Problem is the Main Focus..This way of thinking stems from belif systems inbedded in western religion..whether you and I are religious or not..How does that man's form of recreation affect you and how does your opinion about what he does affect him? He does it because he can
    They drilled the hole for Oil because they could
    If you are tired of paying for cheap gas..Move to Europe

16. maxcok

Gold Member

Chairman Carl-Henric Svanberg replaced Tony Hayward yesterday as the point man for the day-to-day response to the gulf oil disaster, as he was no longer effective in the role of primary spokesman. Managing Director Robert Dudley will take over daily operations. Dudley is an American who worked in the oil industry a long time including at Amoco before it merged with BP in 1998. He became a BP director about a year ago.

I see no problem with Hayward taking some personal time to relax, but it's a matter of appearances. Coming right on the heels of him stonewalling the Congressional committee when his public visibilty peaked, it just looks bad. It looks worse that he is indulging in a rich man's sport, even worse that it's taking place in clear ocean waters. It's a really bad move from a Public Relations perspective, but then making bad PR moves seems to be the one thing he's really good at that.

#16 maxcok, Jun 19, 2010
    Last edited: Jun 19, 2010
  17. FRE

FRE
    Gold Member

Albums:

Exactly.

His taking time off will make no operational difference; it's nothing more than a matter of public relations because of the inability of the public to look at the matter rationally.

Although the CEO was abused by the congressional committee, his performance was not good and his continual evasiveness was inexcusable. Perhaps his being abused was at least partly the result of his evasiveness.

18. vince

Gold Member

Albums:
    You beat me to it Max. Well put. The man needs some time with his son and I have no problem with that. But the optics are terrible. I couldn't think of worse PR move for the CEO of BP than him enjoying a bit of Cowes Week on his yacht at this time. Either the man and his advisors are completely clueless, or he truly doesn't give a damn.

19. fernandoleal

fernandoleal New Member

i notice that none of the bp defenders actually live anywhere NEAR the gulf coast. (with the exception of the florida body builder douchebag) but that doesnt really count now does it?? :confused:

20. FRE

FRE
    Gold Member

Albums:
    Defending the right of the BP CEO to take a break is not defending BP. Except for the fact that it is not the best thing for public relations for the BP CEO to be seen at a yacht race, I have no problem with his being there, yet I believe that BP should be held accountable for the well blowout and should compensate everyone who has been negatively impacted by it.

Draft saved Draft deleted