Bra Sizes

Trackers: I was just wondering If one's bra size varies depending on which part of the world we live. You see I live in Australia, and the cup measurements are the same as everywhere else, but the bust measurements are different. I was just wondering if it's true and why it's true. Hope to hear from you all soon.

BTW: My bra size is 14C

sammygirly: Well they go below 34 Dee ~laughs~ but yeah, it's odd that even in Canada where we use the metric system - we still use the american system for this.

38C here - sounds bigger than they actually are...it's a small C

bustyredhead: There've been charts that explain the conversions. I think the Australian system uses the strap length instead of the entire bust measurement. I'll have to see if I can find anything.

- Nene (A Bra By Any Other Size)

Trackers: Hmm... Interesting. Thank you for your responses.

Nene: If you can find me any more info that will be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

7x6andchg: I knew there was a reason I liked the Metric System!

It makes me sound taller (173 cm instead of 5'8"),
lighter (80 kg instead of 176 lbs),
and now it makes women's breasts sound bigger!

Let's metrify! :D

7x6&C

throb919: [quote author=7by6etC link=board=sex;num=1058701879;start=0#8 date=08/13/03 at 15:30:24]Let's metrify![/quote]
Paul--Then that aforementioned "19 incher" of yours will be a whopping 48 centimeters. And you'll have to change your name to 18x15&C...!

7x6andchg: C'mon over and watch the "big screen"...all 48 cm of it.

Here's a question I have that's bothering me - so why are the international sizes different from the French ones? I thought all the rest of the world used the Metric system? I haven't been this confused since I found out I wear a size 44-45 shoe. :D

7x6&C

Trackers: [quote author=thefrench_h link=board=sex;num=1058701879;start=0#7 date=08/13/03 at 07:52:51]You'll find there a size chart :

http://www2.victoriassecret.com/html/custsrvc/sizecharts/

14C = 36C in US = 95D in France, that's a rather big and enjoyable size ;D[/quote]

Thank you very much for the link thefrench_h. That's just what I was looking for. So according to american sizes I am a 36C

sudas: A guy claimed his length was 15. Inches? No-centimeters. ::)

I heard of someone having to mail-order bras from a place in Las Vegas, but I forget her size. Maybe this has changed by now. How busty would you have to be, not to get it in stores?

Trackers: [quote author=sudas link=board=sex;num=1058701879;start=0#12 date=08/21/03 at 21:44:42]I heard of someone having to mail-order bras from a place in Las Vegas, but I forget her size. Maybe this has changed by now. How busty would you have to be, not to get it in stores?[/quote]

Well Sudas, in OZ you would have to be an E cup or higher before they become unavailble in stores.

gigantikok: [quote author=sudas link=board=sex;num=1058701879;start=0#12 date=08/21/03 at 21:44:42]A guy claimed his length was 15.  Inches? No-centimeters.  ::)

I heard of someone having to mail-order bras from a place in Las Vegas, but I forget her size.  Maybe this has changed by now.  How busty would you have to be, not to get it in stores?[/quote]
Victoria's Secret (and most other stores that sell bras) carry sizes from A cup to DD cup. Anything bigger has to be mail ordered.

AnonyMs: and the cup size is not the only criteria Vic Sec looks at... they also do not carry much above a 42 in chest wall circumference.

gigantikok: I wonder what the largest custom made bra ever made was? Any women out there make an order for an X cup? :)

AnonyMs: Bizarre Brassiere Facts:

The bra dates as far back as 2,500 BC, when Minoan women on the Greek island of Crete wore a garment similar to a bra, which lifted their busts out of their clothes, leaving them exposed. The custom of ancient Greek and Roman women, to minimize the bust size, completely reversed the Minoan trend. To minimize their chest size, these women strapped bands over their busts to rein them in.

In the 1860s, corsets and bindings were so tight that young girls just reaching puberty were supposed to aspire to 13-inch waists.(that's an inch bigger than a ruler !)  At that time a group of pre- feminists gathered in Boston to launch what they called the dress reform movement;. They agreed on a breast-freeing bodice that could be attached to a simple petticoat. No bones, no eyelets, no laces or pulleys

The modern bra hasn't been credited to one specific person, but in 1884 Mortimer Clarke of Washington D.C. filed a patent for a woman's undergarment that is similar to the sports bras sold today, and Marie Tucek obtained a patent for the first brassiere, which she named the "breast supporter"; in 1893. It had separate pockets, and straps that went over the shoulders, and hook-and-eye fasteners in the back. Marie never marketed her invention, which resembled the modern bra, and so most people have never even heard of her!

In 1913, a New York socialite named Mary Phelps Jacob (a.k.a. Caresse Crosby) was credited with inventing the first modern bra. She was planning on going to a major social event, and wearing a super-sheer evening gown. Back in those days, the only undergarment available was a corset stiffened by whaleback bones, which would definitely have shown through her gown. Mary and her French maid, Marie, created a basic, backless brassiere from two handkerchiefs, some ribbon, and cord- the sole purpose of her bra was to flatten her chest - there weren't even any cups. Everyone at the ball commented on Mary's daring new bra and soon she began sewing bras for friends and family, who told everyone they new about Mary's new invention. Mary the businesswoman was born, when she received a request from a complete stranger for a bra, along which was enclosed with money to pay for it. In November 1914 Mary was granted the patent for the "Backless Brassiere".  While Mary was definitely a bra visionary, she didn't really know how to market her product, so even though she made several hundred bras, she only managed to sell a few of them and had to close her business. She made a really bad business move, when she sold her rights to the brassiere to the Connecticut based Warner Brothers Corset Company for only $1,500.

If World War I hadn't broken out the bra, as we know it, never would have become popular. For the first time in history many women in factories and uniforms for the first time, and they couldn't work in cumbersome corsets or whalebone stays. And here's a shocking true fact: The U.S. War Industries Board called on women to stop buying corsets in 1917, freeing up some 28,000 tons of metal which was enough to build two battleships (that's about 10,000 VW bugs!) .

In the roaring 1920s, women would bind their breasts to conform to the flat-chested "flapper" era. Ida Rosenthal, an immigrant from Russia, was fed up with the way that women were mashing down their breasts. She and her husband, William, founded a company called Maidenform. She realized that women and their bodies did not all fit into one category, and she meticulously grouped women into different cup sizes, and developed bras to fit women of every size and age group.

During the Cold War, breasts and bras began to resemble torpedoes, think Marilyn Monroe (who incidentally wore a size 12-14 ) or Jayne Mansfield.  Billionaire, Howard Hughes, had an engineer Hughes use his aeronautical engineering knowledge to design a bra for Jane Russell that turned her into a star.  Hughes dropped a story to the press that religious groups should be scandalized by Russell's significant cleavage; in turn these groups protested the release of the movie "The Outlaw". The movie was so lame, that if it hadn't have attracted so much negative attention, it would have faded quietly into obscurity.

In 1968 women gathered together to symbolically protest the Miss America contest.  They tossed their bras, girdles, stockings and other articles of constricting into a trash can and then set them on fire. They felt that destroying these clothes in such a public manner would serve as symbolic condemnation of the modern skewed image of female beauty. They felt that women should be valued as more than just their body parts, or judged based on their beauty.

In the early 1970's many feminists went braless for the first time as sort of a social commentary - their personal comfort meant more to them than meeting society's view of a woman's beauty.

In the 1980;s many women started having silicon and saline implants to enlarge their breasts. Celebrities like Pamela Lee have made some women aspire to the unrealistic Barbie doll ideal of beauty.  If Barbie would come to life, she'd have to crawl on all fours to support her disproportionately huge breasts.

Statistics show the average American woman owns six bras. Out of those six, one of is a strapless bra and one is a color other than white.

60 to 65 percent of all sport bras sold are white.

The average woman wears a 36C bra.

awellhungboi: Neat facts!

But, 'two handkerchiefs, ribbon, and some cord' isn't that what Christina Aguilera wore to the MTV awards last year?

gigantikok: [quote author=AnonyMs link=board=sex;num=1058701879;start=0#17 date=08/26/03 at 18:52:04]If Barbie would come to life, she'd have to crawl on all fours to support her disproportionately huge breasts. [/quote]
Maybe certain people claim that, but if you look at the barbie dolls being released in the last 2 or 3 decades, their breasts are not really that big at all. In fact, their breasts look quite small. It would have to take ENORMOUS breasts for this "fact" to be true, I would be surprised if a real life Barbie reached a D cup. I've seen women with natural J CUP breasts that don't crawl on all fours, and by no means does it look like Barbie has J cup breasts. I think most of them are an equivilant to a C cup, so if your fact was true, doggy style would become an even more popular sexual position!

[quote author=AnonyMs link=board=sex;num=1058701879;start=0#17 date=08/26/03 at 18:52:04]The average woman wears a 36C bra. [/quote]
That's a surprise to me. I would have guessed 36B. Where did you get these facts?