Brahmin "Republican" shows his real "stuff"

Discussion in 'Et Cetera, Et Cetera' started by B_Stronzo, Nov 4, 2006.

1. B_Stronzo

B_Stronzo New Member

When I speak of the Republican party of my family I speak of men who believed in human rights and fairplay.

These new "republicans" we see dotting the countryside bear no resemblance to the Republican ancestry from which I descend.

I'm pleased to presentthisarticle reminding that those from whom I come politically are beginning to not want the adjective "Republican" assigned to them.

This is the old guard Beacon Hill Republican. And now the Saltonstalls are following suit.

This bodes well.

This is what I meant when I wrote on the other thread the "old democrats are the new Republicans" and vica versa.

In part:

"The party has always been a fiscally conservative party, but I think that a lot of the old-time Republicans tend to be socially liberal."

Even Henry Cabot Lodge has jumped ship! Hurrah.

2. JustAsking

Gold Member

From an old New Englander, here. This is wicked historic.

3. B_Stronzo

B_Stronzo New Member

That's the spirit JA!

Isn't it though?

I thought the thread would appeal to a narrow audience but it is historic.:wink:

4. SpeedoGuy

Gold Member

Albums:
    I've seen other articles about long time Republicans deserting the party over the Iraq lies. John Eisenhower comes to mind.

Lets hope the skunky aroma of the neocons, fundamentalists and other sociopathic wingnuts drives more voters from the GOP picnic.

5. cypher13

cypher13 New Member

As one descended from the New England Brahmins - a terminology with which I was never comfortable - I am relieved that the shift described here is finally getting some attention.

6. B_Stronzo

B_Stronzo New Member

In fairness;

The term was applied to us by Oliver Wendell Holmes, Senior.

I've never heard an actual Boston Brahmin use the term in application to self.

Though I think it's non-applicable in truth it does bring an image to mind that reminds me of a pretty interesting historical past.

In that vein I feel comfortable since we're a dying breed that we get to have our own category which doesn't necessarily denote anything bad.

Draft saved Draft deleted