Brandon DeWilde

llazlo

1st Like
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
Some years back (60's ?) Brandon DeWilde was an actor who starred in a movie as John Wayne's son ("In Harm's Way"). Since lately people have been "digging" for the vintage stars, I thought I would ask to see if anyone had anything on this boy. He was a cutie. I still don't know how or what killed him.

Thanks ahead of time!

timincm

1st Like
Media
[edit] Early life

Brandon De Wilde made his much-acclaimed Broadway debut at the age of 7 in The Member of the Wedding, and was the first child actor to win the Donaldson Award. He also starred in the 1952 film version (directed by Fred Zinnemann).

[edit] Career

As the tow-headed Joey who worshipped the mysterious gunman in Shane, he stole the movie and was nominated for an Oscar. He also starred in his own television series, Jamie (1953-1954) which, although popular, was cancelled due to a contract dispute.
In 1956 he starred opposite Walter Brennan and Phil Harris in the coming of age movie Good-bye, My Lady adapted from James Street's book. This movie showcased the then rare dog breed - Basenji, the African bark-less dog, to American audiences.
He shared an on-screen camaraderie with both James Stewart and Audie Murphy in the 1957 western Night Passage. De Wilde made his mark onscreen as an adolescent in the 1959 drama Blue Denim, co-starring Carol Lynley. He also appeared in Martin Ritt's Hud (1963) costarring with Paul Newman, Patricia Neal and Melvyn Douglas, and in All Fall Down (1962) opposite Warren Beatty and Eva Marie Saint.
Although the only lead actor not to be Oscar-nominated for Hud, he went on stage to accept the Best Supporting Actor trophy for co-star Melvyn Douglas (who was in Israel at the time).
De Wilde delivered another widely acclaimed performance at the age of 22 as Jere Torry, the screen son of John Wayne in In Harm's Way (1965). In a career spanning the years 1951 to 1972 (including six Broadway plays and 16 movies), he made his last screen appearance in Wild In The Sky.

[edit] Death

Brandon De Wilde was critically injured in a traffic accident in the Denver suburb of Lakewood on the evening of July 6, 1972, while en route to perform in the play Butterflies Are Free. Swerving to avoid another vehicle, he struck a construction trailer parked on the side of the road, and was pinned under the wreckage of his motorcycle for some time before being taken to Denver General Hospital. He died four hours later. He was 30 years old.

[edit] Legacy

De Wilde -- who watched as Paul McCartney wrote the song Wait during the filming of the Beatles movie Help! -- had hoped to embark on a music career. He asked his friend Gram Parsons (of The Byrds), and his band at the time, International Submarine Band, to back him in a recording session. Guitarist John Nuese claimed that De Wilde sang harmony with Parsons better than anyone except Emmylou Harris.
Parsons and Harris later co-wrote a song entitled "In My Hour Of Darkness", whose first verse refers to the accident that killed De Wilde: "Once I knew a young man / Went driving through the night, / Miles and miles without a word / But just his high-beam lights. / Who'd have ever thought they'd build / Such a deadly Denver bend; / To be so strong, to take so long / As it would till the end."
De Wilde was married to his second wife when he died. He left a son, Jesse.
He was originally buried in Hollywood, California, but his parents later moved his remains to Pinelawn Memorial Park in Farmingdale, New York in Suffolk County, to be closer to their home in Long Island. Frederick De Wilde died in 1980. Eugenia De Wilde died in 1987.

llazlo

1st Like
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
Thanks Timincm. That is quite a bit of information of which I was not aware. He was one helluva good looking young man. As rumors go, I heard he was gay, but again....rumors - who's to really know. I thank you for all the info.

And... A thank you to RickyG1964 as well. I suppose that must have been his backup gun.

Later Guys.

SSB

Just Browsing
Media
Some years back (60's ?) Brandon DeWilde was an actor who starred in a movie as John Wayne's son ("In Harm's Way"). Since lately people have been "digging" for the vintage stars, I thought I would ask to see if anyone had anything on this boy. He was a cutie. I still don't know how or what killed him.

Thanks ahead of time!
Tragically, he was killed in an auto accident in July 1972. He was only 30 and 3 months of age.

bone2bone2009

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
I highly suggest everyone read Paul Newman The Man Behind the Baby Blues. It is a page turner. Some say none of it is true, I believe all of it. Brandon was Bi to say the least and he and Paul Newman were lovers.

B_frednethel

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
OOOOOOOOOOOOH ! I LOVE DIRT ! Sounds like a great read :) And to think good ol' Baby Blues got to choke on this.

I highly suggest everyone read Paul Newman The Man Behind the Baby Blues. It is a page turner. Some say none of it is true, I believe all of it. Brandon was Bi to say the least and he and Paul Newman were lovers.

Attachments

Gdaymate

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
Thank you for posting the short bio of him. When I watched Hud I was amazed at the calibre of acting from everyone; the whole movie was stunning. I didn't recognize Melvyn Douglas till halfway through, Patricia Neal was a dream, Paul Newman was off the hook, and I waswondering who on earth that young man who was such a great natural actor grew up to be. When I found out he was the kid from Shane, and that he died so young, I was really sad. He was awfully good.

mikey41

Admired Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight

And that Paul and Steve McQueen were lovers. And that an angry Scott Newman came close to raping his father in a motel room - Paul put up no resistance. Yeah, I read it, but didn't believe a word of it. Fun, though!

LADave

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
I'm glad someone else mentioned their suspicions about Paul Newman. Years ago I was dating a pretty well known costume designer..he made the chain mail outfit Isaac Hayes wore at the Oscars when he performed the song 'Shaft'. Anyway he told me he and a friend were in France swimming in the pool at the hotel they were staying with. The friends was acting silly and in walked Paul Newman. The friend was embarrassed but Paul was cool and my friend said they ended up in Paul's room together.
When I was living in NYC in the eighties I was waitering in a local deli and Paul became my regular customer so I got to talk with him a bit. He was staying at a hotel nearby and my section was off from the main part of the restaurant so he liked sitting there so people wouldn't bother him. He was a really nice guy. Why didn't he make any moves on me? Though another time, going to the subway after work Frank Langella passed me, said hi, then when I turned around to look back, he was looking back at me. I was too chicken to do anything.

bradleyreed88

Loved Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
His movements & demeanor scream gay. I have no doubt he tasted cock along the way. BUT He was married twice & had one son. Typical Hollywood in the 1950’s.
Beautiful guy. He won a lot of awards starting at age 7 on Broadway & was in many films & tv shows. He was just coming into his stride when he died. Sad