Brazil's greatest composers

Discussion in 'Et Cetera, Et Cetera' started by naughty, May 2, 2007.

1. naughty

Gold Member

I have heard it said that the two greatest composers Brazil has produced have been Hector Villa Lobos and Antonio Carlos Jobim. Having grown up listening to the music of both I have to agree. Here is one of my most favorite pieces in the world... WAVE by Jobim

Played by Jobim before his death.

YouTube - Wave - Tom Jobim & Toquinho=

Here it is in English done by Sergio Mendez and Brasil 66

YouTube - Sergio Mendes & Brasil '66 - Wave=

2. fratpack

Gold Member

Albums:
    Didn't Antonio Carlos Jobim marry Astrid Gilberto, an awesome singer in her own right. And then, there is their daughter Bebel Gilberto who is one of my favorite singers.

3. naughty

Gold Member

No, she was his muse. Allegedly Jobim and her husband were jamming at the Gilberto apartment when they created "...Ipanema" They callled Astrud a housewife at the time to come over to sing the song. THe rest is history. Astrud GIlberto of "The Girl from Ipanema" fame was married to Joao Gilberto and Bebel is their daughter.

4. crescendo69

Gold Member

Thank you, naughty, for that link. I play that at a restaurant (piano) all the time and enjoy other Jobim tunes like "Triste" and "Corcocavado". Some tunes of his don't make sense in my fake book's versions; I would like to study the recorded versions more.

5. dudepiston

dudepiston New Member

Yeah I think some of Jobim's songs use harmonies that don't translate well to fake books. But they're cool, different harmonies than typical American blues. I enjoy "The Waters of March."

6. naughty

Gold Member

Jobim himself always said his music was not Jazz. He said he was inspired by Debussy, primary. I love Aguas De Marco as well . Have you ever heard Billy Eckstine's version of Felicidade? His rich baritone gave a virility to the song that you usually dont feel when hearing Gilberto or Jobim singing it. I have also heard that the reason why Americans came to associate Bossa Nova with the Sax was an accident. Keeter Betts bassist with Ella Fitzgerald and a number of other musicians were over in Brazil in the late 50's on a USO tour and heard this wonderful new sound. I think it was right before the production of "Black Orpheus" which won at Cannes and introduced the world to the music of Jobim and the sweet guitar strains of Luis Bonfa. Upon returning to the US, Betz approached guitarist Charlie Byrd whose producers thought it would be a waste of time for him to record this music. So, they then approached Stan Getz who was absolutely enamoured of the sound and the rest is history.

7. B_BristolBill

B_BristolBill New Member

This is rather lovely and sort of on topic.

She's Joao Gilberto's daughter Bebel.

It's So Nice

8. B_BristolBill

B_BristolBill New Member

I'm quite certain Bebel isn't Astrud's daughter. She is Joao's though. I believe Astrud had only one child, Marcello, by Gilberto.

Bebel Gilberto

9. JustAsking

Gold Member

Sorry, double post with the one below it.

10. JustAsking

Gold Member

Bebel Gilberto is the daughter of Joao Gilberto and the singer Miúcha. But she certainly sings in that simple endearing style of Astrud. She carries on the tradition quite well.

I was a teenager when Bossa Nova came to the US. I loved it then and I love it now. It is such an intimate style. A simple Latin rhythm, quiet chords and a singer that sounds like he/she is singing into someones ear or maybe to noone at all.

11. naughty

Gold Member

Thank you Gentlemen ,

I stand corrected. That is right. Joao and Astrud divorced early on.

12. JustAsking

Gold Member

But you are right about the sax thing. I loved the Stan Getz stuff, but its not really bossa nova unless its played quietly on a guitar, don't you think?

13. transformer_99

Gold Member

At first I thought this thread was about Jeopardy:

"I'll take "Great Brazillian Composers" for $ 1,000, Alex." :biggrin1:

14. B_BristolBill

B_BristolBill New Member

"..quiet cords from my guitar, and a window that looks out on Corcovado oh how lovely..." Do I hear that. Sublime.

Though somewhat younger than you JA I was introduced to it similarly by an older sister and for the first time I was made aware of a style of music unknown to me before.

What a wonderful alternative to the force-fed pop music of that time.

To this day more modern artists like Basia (and perhaps Sade) make me know the legacy of those sultry and seductive rhythms carry on. I've found YouTube a wonderful resource for up and coming musicians in Brazil and South America too. Some of the entries on there are really good in a very raw sense and I love that these new musicians have that outlet.

15. naughty

Gold Member

Bristol Bill,

You are telling on yourself! LOL! I too grew up listening to Bossa Nova as a young child so it is a form of musical comfort food to me as well. I Remember watching my parents when they were young dancing to Bossa Nova. I rediscovered it after finally seeing "Black Orpheus" and its remake "Orfeo" Both are wonderful films along with "City of God."

16. fratpack

Gold Member

Albums:
    Now you see, this is one of the great things I like about this site...besides the large penii, of course. :wink:
    I get the correct information from other members and not in a snide or nasty manner. I am a sponge when it comes to learning all kinds of facts, etc.
    So thank you all to those who have contributed. :smile:
    I also agree about the singing style being intimate, it creates a special mood.

17. naughty

Gold Member

Good for you, Baby! That is the way it should be. Asking questions should NEVER be a crime. So what is your favorite Bossa Nova song?

18. faceking

faceking Well-Known Member

Albums:
    Just jumping in, without seeing who's been mentioned..

Caetano V.
    Gilberto Gil
    Gal Costa
    Milton Nasciemento
    Rita Lee
    Tom Ze
    etc... love that whole 70' silk..

19. invisibleman

Gold Member

Naught--

You are going to hate me. I have in my possession: The Antonio Carlos Jobim: The Man from Ipanema CD Anthology. It is a 3 CD set. Verve Jazz label puts it out. A great set to own. One of my favorite songs on that set is "Maria". Jobim's voice has a very nice deep resonant quality on that track. Very evocative and nostalgic.

It has a very colorful loop bound book with interesting facts about Jobim and has photos and CD folders.

20. naughty

Gold Member

NO,

I am not going to hate you. I love you! I just want you to share! LOL! :biggrin1:

Draft saved Draft deleted