Breaking News: Keyess Ballot Status in Jeopardy

mindseye

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
The Illinois State Board of Elections deadlocked 4-4 today on the question of whether to certify Alan Keyes' eligibility to run for Senate in Illinois over concerns that he had not met the residency requirement.

Update: As of 7:21 Central time this evening, the deadlock has reportedly been broken in favor of Keyes. No official word yet.

Pecker

Retired Moderator
Media
I have some admiration for that oddball, but neither Keyes nor anyone else should be able to run for office in another state unless he or she can legally establish residence as a voter or taxpayer in that state first.

jonb

Sexy Member
Media
Hey, Keyes made a big deal about Hillary being a carpetbagger. Yanno, for all the GOP's tokens, Keyes is the biggest idiot. At least Ben Switchhorse Campbell had the decency not to get on Jeffords' ass for turning independent.

ponybilt

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
80% Gay, 20% Straight
Originally posted by MarkSavage@Aug 28 2004, 01:44 AM
I agree. At least Hillary had the decency to buy a house in New York a year before the election.

Keyes is a joke.
Yeah, and the Clinton's also spoke of moving to NYC long before the presidency ended, and, um... I believe the quote was "never go back to Arkansas again." :)

That said, I'd still be in favor of 1) requirements for longer term residency before running for office, or 2) requiring all parties to play carpet bagging politics.

SpeedoGuy

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
Originally posted by jonb@Aug 28 2004, 04:48 AM
Hey, Keyes made a big deal about Hillary being a carpetbagger. Yanno, for all the GOP's tokens, Keyes is the biggest idiot. At least Ben Switchhorse Campbell had the decency not to get on Jeffords' ass for turning independent.
You're right, jon. Keyes made a real stink in the press about Hillary Clinton's run for a senate seat in NY. The term carpetbagging was thrown around alot.

Now the shoe is on the other foot. Keyes is trying to run for a senate seat in IL while he officially lives in MD. When a radio host interviewing Keyes pointed this out recently, Keyes launched into a laughably shrill defense of his own hypocrisy and then went on to attack Barak Obama as being a token minority candidate.

SG

BobLeeSwagger

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Seems like kind of a moot point to me, since there's no way that Keyes will win the Senate race. In fact, I can't imagine the Illinois GOP could have come up with a more lame candidate. Almost anyone else would seem to have a better chance than Keyes, who has been a sideshow act for so many years. The only reasons I can think of for them to pick Alan Keyes are:

1) He's black, and they figured no white guy would have a chance against the already popular Obama. This seems like a miscalculation to me though, since the Democrats are going to get almost all of the black vote there anyway. There are a lot of conservatives in southern Illinois, so it seems to me that the most moderate Republican possible would be a better bet.

2) The more likely possibility, I think, is that the GOP has already thrown in the towel in that Senate race and figured they'd throw Keyes a bone and look more diverse. He's been out of the spotlight for a few years and he does seem to have some backers among Republicans. Prominent black Republicans are rare, so the GOP probably figures they need to highlight the ones they DO have. Keyes could get a little bit of press and keep his C-list political career going while the Republicans reload for the next race there.

Like I said, I think it's kind of irrelevant at this point. I can't help but wonder how Mike Ditka would have done though. At the very least, it would have been entertaining. ^_^

jonb

Sexy Member
Media
Originally posted by SpeedoGuy@Aug 28 2004, 08:45 AM
You're right, jon. Keyes made a real stink in the press about Hillary Clinton's run for a senate seat in NY. The term carpetbagging was thrown around alot.

Now the shoe is on the other foot. Keyes is trying to run for a senate seat in IL while he officially lives in MD. When a radio host interviewing Keyes pointed this out recently, Keyes launched into a laughably shrill defense of his own hypocrisy and then went on to attack Barak Obama as being a token minority candidate.
What's funny is, carpetbagging originally referred to northerners who went south during the reconstruction.

Yanno, I could never stand Keyes speaking either; he seems to incapable of producing a non-nasal vowel.

Heh. I said it before: At least Ben Nightmare Campbell didn't piss and moan about Jim Jeffords. (If you don't know who Campbell is, he's a senator from Colorado who ran as a Democrat but switched parties soon after being sworn in.)

bigbutnothuge

Cherished Member
Media
I understand one wanting the rules changed to require a longer residency, but that is irrelevant. The point is that a candidate must only be a resident on the day of the election. The primary qualifications for the Congress are residency requirements in the United States, not the specific state. I understand the concern, but dont change the rules in the middle of the game after they have been set.

ponybilt

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
80% Gay, 20% Straight
BBNH, I didn't see anyone actually advocating changing anything in the middle of any game.

I did, however, make the comment that I'd be in favor of requiring stricter residency requirements -- all around. This prevents the *politics* of mixing and matching candidates to fully cover areas for *political* ends. That *political* strategy does absolutely nothing to represent those people who live in a district.

jonb

Sexy Member
Media
Well, we know one state Kerry will get.

Oh, South Dakota could also go to Kerry; it really depends on whether or not Nelson tries anything. (Thune lost to Johnson because of voter drives on reservations; however, state politics are still Republican-dominated. It's gonna get even worse for the GOP over time: Throughout the Great Plains, the white population's been emigrating to the coasts while the Indian population's skyrocketed.)

mindseye

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
Nedog wrote last August a really informative article on the demographic shifting in South Dakota. He predicts that Kerry will not win in 2004, but that by 2008 or 2012 at the latest, South Dakota will be quite reliably Democratic.

jonb

Sexy Member
Media
He forgot to mention the Indians; one of Nelson's campaign advisers even said "Take out the Indian reservation and we would've won." Russ Means guaranteed Shannon County to Republicans, but Means doesn't have as much political clout as he did in the 70s. (The things he's done to PO Indians include voice acting in Pocahontas, beating his father-in-law, and trying to claim immunity for beating his father-in-law because it happened on Four Corners reservation thus even further stripping away sovereignty. Not to mention his self-serving autobiography.)