Brexit

eurotop40

Admired Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
So while Italy is poised to go into recession, the EU as a whole is showing signs of the economy slowing down, Portugal and Spain worried about what's going to happen to their salad produce, France and Germany signing a new pact of togetherness to give them a better show of strength in the EU, (so much for all countries equal - but that's never been the case)Germany's economy no longer the rising star, France about to be hit with a surplus of 1.5 billion euro's for wine and dairy products if the UK crashes out of the UK, Southern Ireland being forced to beg money from the EU to survive.... while the UK continues to get stronger. Holland will worry about its ability to produce more than it can sell - produce along with Poland and Denmark. In Germany disquiet among voters, in France the Yellow vests, in Italy and Greece murmurings about the total control the EU's executive wield…
yes, I see what you mean,
The thou

Now, I know the EU is not the US, but explain something to me, probably I am too thick. It would be very interesting if every time the US goes into recession local assholes of the brexiteer type would call for the breakup of the union. So why do you Brits always scream with this "economy going up" or "economy going down" to show that the EU is so bad? You are really big manipulators. Do you want to break up the UK when it goes into recession and keep it only in times of economic expansion? Please illuminate me.

Reactions: TinyPrincess

ozwestcoastboy

LPSG Legend
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
I agree totally with the being compulsory voting, after all if you don't have your say you cant complain.
The reason so many of us want to be free of the petty jealousies, the each man looking after himself idea is that we do contribute a great deal and get very little respect. The EU Executive committee works for itself not the community as a whole. It fails to see that within the block there is a diversity of national traits that have to be accommodated, one reason the Germans hate subsiding as they see it the lazy Greeks wallowing in sunshine and doing little else (sorry but that's a stereo type) and so trying to inflict the values of the Franco/German agreement on everybody. When it was the common market it was a good thing but it grew to big for its boots and became greedy and out to create a United States of Europe, run from Berlin.
I'm sorry to have to say this again but Germany lost two world wars while trying to gain worl domination. Ever since 1945 they have been quietly and efficiently building up wealth and influence and soon will become the one voice in the European Parliament. The UK sees that, certainly the older generation, and gone is the dream of a one for all and all for one ethic the EU was supposed to be aiming for.
The younger generation, with no knowledge of history only see leaving the EU as a damper on Stag Nights, quick holidays and no health insurance, easy to get to, enabling them to work and study overseas ( a very small percentage do) forgetting that travel to other more distant parts of the world require visas and health insurance and a large number apply for all the permissions to work and study over seas.
Now, in the current position we can see that the EU is out to make it so difficult to leave with a deal, resorting to petty annoyances - Gibraltar isn't a colony yet the commission allowed the insult to remain knowing full well it would create a stir and is blatantly wrong. While the EU chief negotiator can only ever see the solution to a problem in the bottom of a glass, while petty nothing politicians strive to appear big on the international stage for a few short months before they vanish back into the obscurity from whence they came without taking into consideration the big picture then all sides will be losers.
Negotiations are supposed to be just that, full of compromise.
The UK voted by a majority (of those who cared and bothered to vote) to leave the EU. That should have been a very simple thing to understand. Alas the EU, greedy to the enth degree could see a big hole in their budgets - actually its really all about money at the end of the day - and are striving to hang on to a large chunk of income rather than have to reduce subsidies, cut its coat according to its cloth, the result being that the EU is souring relations with the UK, not just the members of parliament but the population as a whole, when it does happen its going to take a long time to sort out trade deals etc and even longer before the UK TRUSTS the EU again.
I started with mentioning 2 world wars, funny how the little countriews that the UK and America helped suddenly seem to forget the liberation, Belgium, Holland, Denmark, France, Italy, Luxembourg etc etc etc… no, they are all happy to suck op to where they think the money is.
Oh, and didn't I mention that its all about money as well?
What are you actually trying to say? The UK will be better off out of the EU? And the EU will be worse off without the UK? Both are possible. Both are on the cards. But should all this have ever come to pass? As an Aussie, I just feel sadness for my friends and relatives in the UK who have had to endure 24 months of this nonsense. And to what bloody end? Tell me.

Reactions: TinyPrincess

chrisrobin

Mythical Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
What are you actually trying to say? The UK will be better off out of the EU? And the EU will be worse off without the UK? Both are possible. Both are on the cards. But should all this have ever come to pass? As an Aussie, I just feel sadness for my friends and relatives in the UK who have had to endure 24 months of this nonsense. And to what bloody end? Tell me.
Indeed, all this nonsense, had the EU not been so stupid (had not Cameron had a plan B) all this hatred and prevarication need not have happened.
Yep, both side will be worse off, but the EU has as much to lose in the end because its member states can see how their negotiators have played with the truth. Italy going into recession because, they'll say, the Brussels team forced them into it, and will Hungary and Poland really look so kindly at internal interference. No the EU is going to have to take responsivity for everything that happens.

ozwestcoastboy

LPSG Legend
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
In the on-going fiasco that is BREXIT, I'm not surprised to see that in the latest Observer opinion poll published today (Sunday 3rd Feb), support for Labour has fallen 6 points from 40% to 34%, while Tory support went up from 37% to 41%. Approval for May’s handling of Brexit had increased slightly, while support for Jeremy Corbyn’s handling of the issue has slumped to an all-time low. Where is all this leading to? Labour can't win under Corbyn, but who's there to replace him? Will Theresa May emerge as another 'Iron Lady'???
4800.jpg

D

deleted15807

There is this:

...on the whole, while all parties will suffer with Brexit, particularly in the event of a so-called no-deal departure, analysts tend to agree that the European Union, which will remain the world’s largest market, is likely to fare far better than Britain.​

Reactions: b.c.

chrisrobin

Mythical Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
In the on-going fiasco that is BREXIT, I'm not surprised to see that in the latest Observer opinion poll published today (Sunday 3rd Feb), support for Labour has fallen 6 points from 40% to 34%, while Tory support went up from 37% to 41%. Approval for May’s handling of Brexit had increased slightly, while support for Jeremy Corbyn’s handling of the issue has slumped to an all-time low. Where is all this leading to? Labour can't win under Corbyn, but who's there to replace him? Will Theresa May emerge as another 'Iron Lady'???
4800.jpg
Keir Starmer (?) will take over and lead the party ever deeper towards extremism Staunch Momentum guy - ex top cop!

TinyPrincess

Mythical Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay

chrisrobin

Mythical Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
So the EU commissioners office tells it as it is and tells us to go to hell for not wanting to stay part of his corrupt team.
Well even if we didn't know we were dealing with immoral negotiators we do now.

Jason

Superior Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
Norway advises students not to study in the UK because of Brexit. Norway urges students to avoid UK universities in Brexit warning

This is a great example of Remoaners inventing a story.

The Norwegian concern is a very specific one. Many EU students travel within the EU to study for a semester or a year at another university. The scheme is funded by the EU through Erasmus. Norway is outside the EU but is one of the nations that pay into Erasmus. If the UK also pays in (which is the intention) then the scheme will continue to apply. The delays over a deal do mean that nothing has yet been signed off. However if by some chance the wasn't a deal then UK and Norwegian universities would make a bilateral agreement. It is something that can be done at a local level and is easy.

UK universities makes a financial loss on every single Erasmus student. The reason for taking Erasmus students is internationalisation. However there is a case at looking towards subsidising global recruitment (not just European) and there is also a case for taking more students who give a profit (eg USA).

Norwegian students applying for UK for Oct 2019 need to contact the UK university. I cannot imagine a university that would not guarantee a place irrespective of Erasmus. It is the students' ability that determines recruitment.

dandelion

Superior Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
So the EU commissioners office tells it as it is and tells us to go to hell for not wanting to stay part of his corrupt team..
You do seem to be miss quoting him. he said anyone hos started brexit with no idea how to cinclude it dsreved to be in hell. I think 90% of the british public agrees with him, and believes the government had handld brexit disastrously.

Guardian article, arguing what I have been doing for some time, that the real risk from brexit is sthe slow dismantling of UK industry as piece by piece, over years, it will move to the EU. A no-deal Brexit won’t result in a siege. The EU will be more clinical than that | Tom Kibasi

Jason

Superior Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
That is because every University in the UK wants to remain in Europe.

Universities have three classes of students by income:

UK students. The system is set up to break even on these: :confused:
Overseas (non-EU students) where profits are possible: :p
EU students where the losses are huge: :weary_face:

UK universities want the diversity - but the present system is crazy. For the next academic year I think just about everywhere is saying they will cover any Brexit-related problems for EU students (which is a significant cost) but the future is presumably to require EU students to pay into the system. Without the financial mill-stone of EU students universities will be able to nudge downwards UK and overseas fees, and increase recruitment of these two groups. It's a re-balancing. Why should the UK be subsidising EU students?

There have always been far more European students wanting to come to UK than vice-versa - a huge imbalance. A massive drop in EU students still provides all the EU places the UK needs.

Reactions: HorsemanUK

Jason

Superior Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
You do seem to be miss quoting him. he said anyone hos started brexit with no idea how to cinclude it dsreved to be in hell. I think 90% of the british public agrees with him, and believes the government had handld brexit disastrously.

Guardian article, arguing what I have been doing for some time, that the real risk from brexit is sthe slow dismantling of UK industry as piece by piece, over years, it will move to the EU. A no-deal Brexit won’t result in a siege. The EU will be more clinical than that | Tom Kibasi

Out of curiosity, I wonder what he thinks of the people who created a monetary union without first creating a fiscal union?

dandelion

Superior Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
Out of curiosity, I wonder what he thinks of the people who created a monetary union without first creating a fiscal union?
I dont know. i know you think it was very very stupid. Like Brexit, eh?

Interesting news item about the ferry company the government has hired to provide extra ferry services after brexit. The one which doe not have any ferries?

Well it seems that tonight the local council is voting to close the port from which these non-existent ferries would have operated, because of government funding cuts.

Governor of the bank of England again today said brexit will hit the Uk economy. I think he also said he doesnt get to wake up in the mornings any more, because he has to get up in the middle of the night. Presumably worrying about Brexit.

Drifterwood

Superior Member
Media
Universities have three classes of students by income:

UK students. The system is set up to break even on these: :confused:
Overseas (non-EU students) where profits are possible: :p
EU students where the losses are huge: :weary_face:

UK universities want the diversity - but the present system is crazy. For the next academic year I think just about everywhere is saying they will cover any Brexit-related problems for EU students (which is a significant cost) but the future is presumably to require EU students to pay into the system. Without the financial mill-stone of EU students universities will be able to nudge downwards UK and overseas fees, and increase recruitment of these two groups. It's a re-balancing. Why should the UK be subsidising EU students?

There have always been far more European students wanting to come to UK than vice-versa - a huge imbalance. A massive drop in EU students still provides all the EU places the UK needs.

Like I said, every University in the UK wants to remain in Europe.