Bricked PS3

Dorian_Gray

Cherished Member
Media
Engadget - Sony Pulls 2.4 Firmware Update After Reports of Bricked PS3's

Anyone had this problem but me? I downloaded the update, then it did as usual and booted into the update firmware application. Then after install it restarted... no "orchestra tuning" and just the flowing motion wallpaper. After letting it sit there for about 4hrs I flipped the power switch on the back because it was completely unresponsive. I've heard of a fix, and it's to pull the HDD out and pull your saved games onto your PC then wipe the HDD then re-insert it and let the PS3 re-format it.

prince_will

Cherished Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
50% Straight, 50% Gay
well, with my own, the disk drive failed and NO CD's whatsoever plays. no DVD's, games, music CD's...nothing! i was extremely pissed. i have to order a part to fix the problem rather than bend over backwards and pay $150 to Sony.

and it's a popular problem too...

flame boy

Account Disabled
Media
Sexuality
No Response
I only just installed the update yesterday (not a regular PS3 user) and after the installation the PS3 kept restarting over and over. It eventually sorted itself out after about 15 mins of continual restarting. If sony have buggered up a huge number of PS3's surely they should be the ones to foot the repair bill?

Dorian_Gray

Cherished Member
Media
I only just installed the update yesterday (not a regular PS3 user) and after the installation the PS3 kept restarting over and over. It eventually sorted itself out after about 15 mins of continual restarting. If sony have buggered up a huge number of PS3's surely they should be the ones to foot the repair bill?

I've gone through the restarting thing before, and it freaked me out. I had just bought the damn $599 version and it was flipping out on me. But like yours, mine eventually sorted itself out after about 15-20 restarts. Mine right now is like the bootloader loads the base OS but the XMB interface is not starting for some reason. It's like the equivalent of starting Windows XP and being stuck at the "welcome" screen indefinitely.

Yonkers

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
The following appear here in Oz a few hours ago.

Sony recalls PlayStation 3 firmware upgrade 2.4

SONY has recalled its latest PlayStation 3 console update after some systems were rendered useless by the installation.

PS3 firmware updates normally introduce new features and fix bugs in the console's operating system.

But the PS3 firmware update version 2.4 was recalled just hours after its release, after gamers reported that the installation crashed their consoles.
Users said the problem affected all models of the PS3 and caused glitches ranging from microphones not working to games "freezing" before they loaded.

"We are aware of a limited number of consumers experiencing an issue with installing firmware 2.40 on PlayStation 3," Sony said in a statement on the official PS3 support website.

"In order to further assess the issue, we have temporarily taken the firmware offline for further testing."

A customer service representative for Sony in Australia said it was not known if any local users were affected by the defective update.
The update was released this week to introduce features to the console including new messaging options and a trophy system.

"We are working diligently to isolate the problem for those few consumers and to identify a solution before we put the firmware back up," Sony said.
Technology website Kotaku said affected PS3 consoles may be fixed by reformatting the hard drive – a move which would erase the owner's data, including saved games and user profiles.

UPDATE 1:30pm - A spokesman for Sony Australia told NEWS.com.au it was investigating the matter.

Links

PlayStation 3 support notice – http://playstation.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/playstatio…
PlayStation 3 forums – http://boardsus.playstation.com/playstation/board/...
Kotaku article – Firmware Update Problems: PS3 2.40 Update Problems And Solutions

I was thinking of getting a PS3, but after hearing all this I don't think I will.

Yonkers.

vince

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
69% Straight, 31% Gay
well, with my own, the disk drive failed and NO CD's whatsoever plays. no DVD's, games, music CD's...nothing! i was extremely pissed. i have to order a part to fix the problem rather than bend over backwards and pay $150 to Sony.

and it's a popular problem too...
I had the same problem a couple months ago, but they replaced the whole machine under warranty. Is it the update that is doing the damage? If so, I won't download it because the machine is working fine right now.

prince_will

Cherished Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
50% Straight, 50% Gay
I had the same problem a couple months ago, but they replaced the whole machine under warranty. Is it the update that is doing the damage? If so, I won't download it because the machine is working fine right now.

well, no it wasn't the update. but i thought i'd just add that i'd had another problem. i got my ps3 as a gift, so finding proof of warranty after 6 months was impossible...

and now this whole update thing?

all these problems for such an expensive ass system!

classyron

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
Man, am I glad I came to the forum BEFORE I fired up the PS3. I was literally about to go play some NHL'08, but decided to surf a bit first. I will wait on the 2.4 until they get it sorted.

Don't let these little glitches stop you from buying one. I got one of the last unlocked 60GB models in town (last year), and it is now the sole compnent I have connected to my receiver (besides my satellite HD-PVR). This machine is my DVD/Blu-Ray Player, my MP3/CD player, my media center PC, you name it. I just hope that Sony adds MKV support so I don't have to convert all of my MKVs. Waste of time and DVDs.

classyron

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
That why I love my 360...they never break!....umm...wait a sec....:redface:

A friend of mine is on his fourth 360. Apparently, in Canada, they make you send it back and then send you a new unit, rather than fixing the issue you get a new one that will likely encounter the same problems. I would much rather know that my machine was fixed. It discouraged me from buying one here.

It is sad that machines this "high-end" like PS3s and 360s are so prone to catastrophic errors. Man, my old Atari 2600 never broke down, and the games were just as fun!

Deno

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
yeah bricked is a term used by iphone and ipodtouch users. Like jailbroke means you've bypassed the Apple firmware limitations.

bobabooey69

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
It is sad that machines this "high-end" like PS3s and 360s are so prone to catastrophic errors. Man, my old Atari 2600 never broke down, and the games were just as fun!

I know, right? I still have my original NES, sure you gotta blow the connectors now and then, but it still keeps on tickin'.