Brietbart, Faux News & Journalistic Dishonesty - Shirley Sherrod

Discussion in 'Politics' started by B_VinylBoy, Jul 20, 2010.

1. B_VinylBoy

B_VinylBoy New Member

If there is any doubt about Faux News and its blatant misrepresentation of the facts, perhaps this story will provide everyone (including the naysayers) a clear example.

Meet Shirley Sherrod, a former USDA official and the latest victim of political spin, distortion and journalistic dishonesty. A video of her was posted on the Big Government Blog which shows Sherrod speaking at an assembly for the NAACP. In the video, she reflects about how a white farmer came to her for help in protecting their farm, and how she internally fought her initial beliefs and prejudices to provide them services. Alas, the video posted by the blog was deliberately edited and was posted alongside a story to make it seem as if she denied services to the farmer based on his race while as a federal worker. Faux News jumped on this story immediately and in a matter of hours Sherrod was forced to resign from her post.

Here's the glaring omissions made by the blog and Faux News:
    1. Shirley Sherrod was appointed her position with the federal government in 2009. The story she told was something she went through back in 1986, more than 2 decades before she became a USDA official.

2. The actual farmers she helped were interviewed on CNN hours later defending Sherrod, saying that she prevented them from having to file for bankruptcy, that she didn't withhold anything from them based on their skin color and denounced any notion that she was a racist. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CUcH0ABKDII

3. The full, UNEDITED video of Shirley Sherrod was provided and it revealed that she actually did help the farmer despite her initial beliefs as stated by the very farmer who received her aid. Sherrod then went on to explain that she learned to accept that problems regarding aid, bankruptcy and financial struggle is not a problem of black people... but POOR PEOPLE. All of this, of course, was edited out of the video that the Big Government Blog aired. Faux News did not air any of the additional footage as well.

Before the truth was revealed, NAACP put out a statement condemning Shirley Sherrod and our current administration forced her to resign from her post. Once it was proven that the story Faux ran was false and that Andrew Breitbart is a lying piece of sh** who falsified information to unfairly paint someone as being a racist, the NAACP has pulled back their original statement and made a public apology:

Next time we are confronted by a racial controversy broken by Fox News or their allies in the Tea Party like Mr. Breitbart, we will consider the source and be more deliberate in responding. The tape of Ms. Sherrod’s speech at an NAACP banquet was deliberately edited to create a false impression of racial bias, and to create a controversy where none existed. This just shows the lengths to which extremist elements will go to discredit legitimate opposition.

So there it is. To be brutally honest, I don't even give a damn what the opposition says about CNN, MSNBC or whatever "liberal news media" outlet. This incident is so blatantly dishonest that nobody should even be trying to defend Breitbart or Faux News in this case. At the same time, one has to really consider the actions of our current administration for falling for this. They acted out BEFORE finding out the full story. The NAACP took accountability for their mistakes and issued an apology. I sincerely hope that the White House does the same. And I never want to hear a thing about the so-called "Fair & Balanced" treatment of Faux News again. We all knew it was BS to begin with, and this confirms it.

2. dreamer20

Gold Member

More dishonest, disgusting antics from the evil, conservative, race-baiting, Tea Party scoundrels who similarly defamed ACORN:67

Breibart punked the Obama administration again and sadly caused the wrongful firing of Sherrod. I hope that she is reinstated.:cool:

3. B_VinylBoy

B_VinylBoy New Member

Don't forget Van Jones as well.

That would be great if the Obama administration did just that but I'm not holding my breath. There's only so much pandering to the opposition you can do without looking foolish.

If there were only about 20 or 30 more Alan Graysons in Congress right now... :wink:

4. maxcok

Gold Member

a) Why is anybody (other than Fux News and legions of right-wing nutjobs) taking Andrew Breitbart seriously on anything?

b) Why did the NAACP rush to condemn her on the basis of a story played on Fux News originating with Andrew Breitbart?

c) Why did the White House force her to resign on the basis of condemnation by the NAACP, which was based on a story played on Fux News originating with Andrew Breitbart?

d) Did no one ask this woman for her version of the events? Does no one check background anymore? Does no one question sources anymore, particularly these sources? Does no one do their homework anymore?

e) Will Ms. Sherrod get her job back? (yes, it's rhetorical)

Hate to say it, but unless I'm missing something, I find the failure of the NAACP and the White House to vet these allegations more embarassing and disturbing than the actions of Breitbart and Fux News. Hell, I expect it of Breitbart and Fux. I expect better of the NAACP, and I expect much better from the White House.

f) Are we all to be ruled by right-wing propaganda now?

*shudders*

5. sargon20

Gold Member

Regrettably we are. We thought taking the House, the Senate and the White House that a new day had arrived. But no FoxFauxFixed News and the rest of the Right Wing noise machine just doubled down. I guess we really shouldn't be surprised. If anyone remembers how the right-wing pit bulls went after Clinton, every sleazy crazy outlandish preposterous idea they could push they did cumulating in his impeachment. Clinton didn't have a 24 hr hate organization broadcasting propaganda but now we do.

6. tripod

Gold Member

Albums:
    The geniuses over at the NAACP sure took forever to recognize the ugly racism behind the tea party movement... just how late to the punch do those guys feel they can be while still remaining effective?

Snookered?

Are they shitting me? WTF?

Breitbart is a notorious figure, how could they be soooo fugggin' stupid?

Bloody hell, I am absolutely gobsmacked. :eek:

7. D_JuanAFock

D_JuanAFock New Member

What doesnt make sense to me, is why the media has this power? I am fairly certain that everybody recognizes that the media is biased in every form. I dont mean just fox news, but cnn/msnbc/brietbart/bbc/whatever other media that is out there. Every single one is biased. Why do people listen to what they say so intently?

8. b.c.

Gold Member

Albums:
    I agree 100%.

These "conservatives" prove over and over what they're made of and to what extent they're willing to go to deceive the public, yet the Administration lets this vocal minority run them around time and time again.

Minus 10 points.

9. thoswood

thoswood New Member

So, just a few days after the NAACP passes a resolution condemning racism in the Tea Party, Breitbart comes out with a shocking video to "document" racism in the Obama adminsitration. Does anyone else smell a hot Fail?

10. ColoradoGuy

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo
    It's unfortunate, but in the modern world of spin and the quest for "immediate reaction", you're going to end up with this.

Like you, I expect much better from the White House. However, think what political hay could have been made about "no response from the White House". Faux News and right-wing commentators would have seized on that lack of response as 'further' proof of this Administration's abandonment of its core constituency. The countless hours of talking heads beating up the Administration -- even on the basis of footage from a likely questionable source -- would create a tsunami of negativity at a time when we really need to be focusing on bigger picture items. Afghanistan, the Gulf oil spill cleanup, and the economy all come to mind, for example.

I'm not excusing the Administration... I'm saying that Sherrod's bosses and other Administration officials might have concluded that an immediate resignation was required regardless of Sherrod's explanations. Shoot first, ask questions later.

If I were spinning for the White House, here's what I'd do:

1. I'd be publicly denouncing the way in which an electronic lynch mob was whipped into a frenzy by individuals more interested in ideologically-driven reporting and ratings than journalistic integrity.
    2. I would further point out that if this was "real news", it would have come up in the wake of the March speech... not four months later.
    3. Finally, I would set the story straight with a release of the internal dialogue and memoranda that prompted Sherrod's departure. We want a transparent government and I think showing the fear of the current Administration about the power of Faux, Brietbart, et al would start to put things in context. Call it what it is in the open: pure and simple (but not truthful) political positioning. Acknowledging the fear in a candid and honest way would go a long ways towards restoring some of the eroded credibility of President Obama's pledge to change 'politics'. Talk about your redemptive moments... this is one of them.

11. D_Chaumbrelayne_Copprehead

D_Chaumbrelayne_Copprehead Account Disabled

Not just Fox News, but all 24/7 cable news operations helped to spread this. As did other news organizations online.
    Fake news bloggers with an agenda ought to be extremely suspect from now on.
    The NAACP weakly reacted before they knew what was really out there.
    The federal government weakly reacted before they knew what was really out there.

So why do we trust any big organization (corporation or government)?

12. sargon20

Gold Member

They know how to appeal to the lowest common denominator. They make the 'low information voter' feel good about their lack of knowledge. I bet the a large percentage of FauxFoxFixed News viewers couldn't even name the Supreme Court justices. Dumbed down and tarted up is their specialty.

The sad thing is in this debacle if Fox was a real news organization someone would be fired instead someone most likely will get promoted.

13. B_VinylBoy

B_VinylBoy New Member

14. dreamer20

Gold Member

So why do we trust any news media organization (corporation or government)?

^^This is the question I would pose.

The duped/"we" thought the media acted ethically and had verified whether this story was true or fake before airing it - thus the duped believed the story was true. However lazy news media outlets, the Agriculture Dept. and the NAACP did not investigate this matter fully, as they should have, and once again became the unwitting tools of Fox and Breibart's dishonest tactics.

15. ripsrips

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo
    It's amazing! Blaming Fox, when she was fired before anything was aired. How often do you hear the left apologize.

16. maxcok

Gold Member

You don't have a clue what you're talking about.

17. D_Chaumbrelayne_Copprehead

D_Chaumbrelayne_Copprehead Account Disabled

Actually, my original question still holds, I believe, and the points you make show that no large faceless, soul-less organization should be trusted. I'm not saying don't do business with them, or don't hold them accountable.

It's like the US used to do with the USSR over treaties. Trust ... but verify.

18. B_VinylBoy

B_VinylBoy New Member

You have absolutely no clue what you're talking about.
    Big Government posted the edited video and FAUX was the first to cover the phony story. Everyone already knows this so you can stop with the BS. :rolleyes:

19. maxcok

Gold Member

I'm suing you for plagirism. :biggrin2:

20. B_VinylBoy

B_VinylBoy New Member

Just remember to do that while you spank me, OK? :biggrin1:

Draft saved Draft deleted