Bring Gilad Shalit Home! Achshav!

D_Alastair Pisspoore

Account Disabled
Media
I know there are thousands of Palestinians in Israeli prisons and I certainly do not think an Israeli life is more important than a Palestinian life, but how can the Israeli government allow this young man to sit in prison for more than 4 years when they have the absolute ability to bring him home? Even if it means releasing 1,000 Palestinian prisoners, or 10,000, I think the Israeli government should do whatever it takes.

How does the LPSG community feel about this?

D_Alastair Pisspoore

Account Disabled
Media
Hamas claims to have stopped an attempt to rescue him by the Sayeret in October. I am losing hope that he will ever return home, he has been gone for 4 and a half years. Israel made numerous attempts to rescue Ron Arad by force rather than diplomacy and I fear that Gilad's fate will be the same as Ron.

houtx48

Cherished Member
Media
Pardon my ignorance, He is in a bad situation but what makes him different than many other prisoners on either side? I realize that four years is a long time to be held without contact.

D_Alastair Pisspoore

Account Disabled
Media
Gilad is different because the Israeli government has the complete ability to secure his release. They have been given the terms and should do whatever it takes to bring him home to his mother and father.

Unfortunately many Palestinian prisoners do not have the same opportunity.

D_Andreas Sukov

Account Disabled
Media
Israel knows, or should know that, any rescue attempt with military involvement would lead to more International condemnation.

It would also lead to a worrying precident for them. Hamas captures one Soldier, and they must release 100 or more prisoners.