Britain battered by 80mph winds

Discussion in 'Et Cetera, Et Cetera' started by dong20, Mar 10, 2008.

1. dong20

Gold Member

2. B_Cegro27

B_Cegro27 New Member

Are storms this strong typical for this time of year?

3. dong20

Gold Member

At this level they're not really typical for any time of year, but stormy weather in March is pretty normal. They are becoming less unusual, or so it seems, perhaps twice as stormy over the last 50 years according to reports.

4. xLx

xLx New Member

Albums:

haha care to update that?!
    it's been bloody horrible all day
    and my washing was out :frown1:

5. B_dumbcow

B_dumbcow New Member

Albums:
    I can hear the winds wailing now...

It has been raining very heavily here and has been extremely windy today - but they say it will be sunny all of next week, which will be luverrly!

*I wish they made raincoats for cows...* :wink:

6. xLx

xLx New Member

Albums:
    what's with the sitting-down-when-it-rains things btw?

i heard it's to preserve a patch of dry grass under you, but that seems kind of moronic....

7. dong20

Gold Member

Yes, by the time I left (about half an hour after posting) there were some clouds and a light breeze. I was working in Blackheath today and by the time I arrived there it was pretty windy with rain squalls on and off all day.

I'm back home now and it's wet and breezy, nothing much. Transport has been fouled up in parts although I had zero problems, in fact it was a more trouble free journey than usual!! The airports were also affected somewhat - I bet plenty of sick bags were used this morning. London usually gets off light. The South and South West coast got hit pretty hard though.

The weather is forecast to continue until Weds, I'd bring the washing in, assuming it's not been blown away!

8. Rugbypup

Gold Member

Albums:
    It because the Americans are causing global warming, lol.

Lets count the number of bites that comment gets, lol.

9. xLx

xLx New Member

Albums:
    fortunately the washing is clinging on for grim death, but having been out on foot for most of the day, i refuse to go out again to bring it in!

i think i'll stay in bed tomorrow, just so's i don't catch a cold :biggrin1:

10. dong20

Gold Member

After a day of even mildly challenging weather I imagine the tube will be screwed up due to the wrong kind of wind, or something. So you may as well stay home.

Besides, you may have to, if all your clothes get blown away in the night.

11. B_dumbcow

B_dumbcow New Member

Albums:
    We just do it to confuse you humans - like when we jump up and down and do the can-can to convince people they are hallucinating!

Shhhhh... That's a secret...

12. xLx

xLx New Member

Albums:

AHHHHHH! so THAT's what that's all about! and there's me thinking those little mushrooms that grown on your poo had some kind of magical properties!

13. Drifterwood

Gold Member

It's getting a bit hairy out there now. My power has already blipped once. Candles at the ready - Yeah baby, do behave..

14. No_Strings

Gold Member

Those winds helped propel my transatlantic flight to well under 6 hours. I'm glad of them.

15. WessexEN

WessexEN New Member

If you look out of the window of a passing train,
    Traveling yesterday (Monday 10th March) was fun and unlike you dong20, I live on the south coast, in West Sussex, near the Hampshire border. It was nice and calm about 8, went to sort my clothes and washing machine out at 12:45, it was blowy, went to bed at 1, got up at about 8 and it was nice and calm, got up at 10, blowing a gale.

Then the fun started, while I was responding to forum comments, getting myself ready for college, etc, I wondered how the train services were looking like at my local station, Fishbourne, being my local TOC is Southern, they were advising "Don't travel unless absolutely necessary!". A quick look indicated why:

Line Problem between Horsham and Crawley
    Line Problem between Horsham and Arundel
    Speed limits in force all along the south coast.

Anyway, all xx:18 and xx:33's were cancelled and Southern then decide to get the Brighton - Pompey services to add additional stops (thats Fishbourne, Bosham, Nutbourne, Southbourne, Emsworth, Warblington, Bedhampton, Hilsea) and cut out Portsmouth Harbour, so the trains were going as far as Portsmouth & Southsea.
    They then retimed everything to go xx:57 (pomp) and xx:18 IIRC (Brighton).

So, I leave, well before the service is due to arrive, stood in a bus shelter looking at CC101 (A signal that sits above the platform at Fishbourne) and it was wobbling in the wind, by this time, the rain was heavy and the shelter offered minimal protection. Next thing I find, supprise, supprise, 12:57 is late, turns up at 13:08 and no, me or my bag did not take off, with the winds. I was intending to force the next train to stop anyway!

Got on the train, left Fishbourne, then it was very heavy rain, hail, lighting and everything else to go with it, while the guard informs me that line speed is now 50mph, because of the weather.... then it was...

PING, PING, PING, PING, PING, PING...... from the guards bells.

Thoughts to self: "Oh shit, not another tree on the line! Not a track walk, please!!!!!??"

"Allo...."
    "Oh really? I see that..."
    "Ok, chereo..."

Apparently, the driver was informing the guard of the difficult conditions out there and when I thought the lighting was from a HV pylon that runs parallel with the track!

Got to Southbourne and it was all quiet, still blowy, but quiet, got to Emsworth and I saw blue skies, by the time I got to Havant, when I got off, I was walking in the sun..

Then comes the next bit, double decker buses over the hills, and I picked the top deck! The bus was leaning to one side in places, but not as much as it was going over the A3(M) between Hulbert Road and College lane! (Havant).
    It felt like the damm thing was about to go over any second!

When I eventually got to college, being nearly an hour late, told my personal tutor about my journey, got to the class and then everyone started complaining. I am one of these students that is almost never late! Anyway, while there were arguments about the treatment I received compared to everyone else, (lateness means orange slips!), until it was pointed out that the difficulty was the distance traveled and the mode of transport.

By the evening rush, everything was virtually normal, except delays. Then that bloody signal at Fratton had to fail... AGAIN!

Should of taken the bus all the way really!

EDIT: Wet and windy outside again, I would give out the home's web-cam, so you can see, but its got my address on it!

16. seahorses

seahorses Member

Ah, but we all know the real reason is because you've put your snotty wet nose on the electric fence:biggrin1:

17. seahorses

seahorses Member

We had a bit of a breeze here on the Jurassic coast, but nothing compared the tropical storm we experienced on holiday a few years back. I tried pushing the hotel bar door that opened outwards to leave just as the storm began and it wouldn’t budge; we had to take an alternative route back to our room. Just as we left the building the 10Mt x 2Mt high picture window of the bar made from sheets of 5mil plate glass, blew in. The wind shook our room all night and sand was piled a couple of feet high outside the door the following morning, as well as forming a carpet throughout the room. Out in the complex there was widespread devastation with trees and shrubs up routed or damaged, solar energy systems ripped off roofs and sun-loungers and other furniture battered and broken from being blown around. Quite a bit of debris had found its way into the swimming pools as had tones of sand. I can only say I’m glad it happened that night as we were due back her the following day and I felt sorry for those arriving as we left.

18. DaveyR

DaveyR Retired Moderator
    Gold Member

A lovely calm sunny day with highs of 82 here today. Now why did I leave the Uk again :confused:

19. dong20

Gold Member

Sun, sea and ... chorizo?

20. seahorses

seahorses Member

I hate to say it, but Tenerife was where that tropical storm took place; it was all over the Canneries

Draft saved Draft deleted