Britons fear race violence could erupt

Discussion in 'Et Cetera, Et Cetera' started by dong20, Apr 18, 2008.

1. dong20

Gold Member

Almost two out of three Britons fear race tensions could spill over into violence and half the population want immigrants to be encouraged to leave, a poll showed on Friday.

In a country where the last serious race riots erupted seven years ago between white and Asian youths, the head of the equality watchdog called the poll findings "alarming".

"What worries me is if that friction starts to catch fire -- if people genuinely believe it's going to catch fire -- then we're in trouble," said Equality and Human Rights Commission head Trevor Phillips.

Of the 1,000 people sounded out by Mori pollsters for the BBC, 60 percent said Britain had too many immigrants.

A quarter of those polled said their area did not feel like Britain anymore because of immigration. Just 20 percent admitted to being racially prejudiced.

The BBC poll marked the 40th anniversary of an infamous "rivers of blood" speech by Conservative politician Enoch Powell who expressed fears about levels of immigration and how the indigenous population felt "a sense of alarm and resentment".

"As I look ahead, I am filled with foreboding, like the Roman, I seem to see the River Tiber foaming with much blood," he said.

I wonder what Britain is supposed to' feel' like?

BBC NEWS | UK | Britons fear race violence - poll
    Poll shows Britons fear race violence could erupt - Yahoo! News UK

2. 9inchcanadian

9inchcanadian Member

Albums:
    It's so easy to understand why there is resentment towards immigrants in the U.K. The popular media reports constantly about the "flood" of immigrants entering the country. The news is full of crime involving ethnic minorities. Rarely do you hear about the same crimes commited by white/British citizens. Also the U.K. is a tiny island and when you introduce anything out of the norm it sticks out like a sore thumb!

I dont have an answer but i understand the opinions expressed.

3. B_Nick4444

B_Nick4444 New Member

for one thing, not like a North Atlantic version of California

4. HamYai

HamYai New Member

Britain used to be an Island Nation. Linked to, but not geographically a part of, Europe.

Now we just seem to be a revolving door for those that arrive, sign on for all the "New Arrival" benefits and leave for shores, such as your own, when asked to actually contribute something.

Which might go some way to understanding why so many Brits can't find work.

5. dong20

Gold Member

I have almost no idea what that means.

6. faceking

faceking Well-Known Member

Albums:
    Shame, as other European nations see this too... esp. France.... liberal policies to protect immigrants, yet it's sacrilege for the country to defend it's culture... the "melting pot".... the pot itself is the culture and identity.... but now we see multiple pots .... (ok analogy gone awry)

7. faceking

faceking Well-Known Member

Albums:
    Makes sense.... somewhat analogous.

8. Rugbypup

Gold Member

Albums:
    Briton is the perfect host but a bitch bastard of a mother.

9. HamYai

HamYai New Member

Meaning???

And it's Britain. Not Briton.

10. B_Nick4444

B_Nick4444 New Member

hit the nail on the head!

11. dong20

Gold Member

There's some loose analogies yes. But he said not ... hence my question.

12. B_Nick4444

B_Nick4444 New Member

to more directly answer your question

may have something to do with having people around you who share the same values and history

values forged in that history, on British soil ... intertwined and interconnected with one another, therefore recognizing the actions and decisions that benefit all for the greater good ... as opposed to having someone walking the streets where your ancestors walked who have nothing to do with those same values and outlook, ... who on the contrary, feels no connection to that history, those values, to those ancient sacrifices and triumphs

nor to you

13. Mickactual

Gold Member

Albums:
    It's not just Eurpope my friend. It's here in America too. Especially the area I live in (north eastern New Jersey) - You have all to do to find the odd person in the area who speaks English anymore. There's a lot of talk about sealing our U.S. borders....but I don't see any action being taken. Sad...

14. Phil Ayesho

Gold Member

Rome fell when multiculturalism sufficiently eroded the sense of BEING Roman that everyone claimed to from somewhere else.

I don't car if folks want to come here for a better life... But the reason there is a better life here is because of the culture...

So my view is that if you choose to immigrant you should choose to adopt the culture of the place you are moving to... If your own culture was performing for you, you would never have left...

I am sick and tired of hyphenated americans... African, Latino, or whatever....
    give it up and become American... become british.

The cause of this strife is when folks come to Britain for the better life... but try to retain their own cultures.

You can't have both.

15. B_Nick4444

B_Nick4444 New Member

not going to happen as long as the libertard ideology/canon prevails

so best solution is to start rounding up, and shipping out

alternatively, stop pandering to them

16. Drifterwood

Gold Member

People on State benefit see their pot of money being shared.

People waiting for State Housing see houses that they have been waiting for going to immigrants.

People on lower incomes see their jobs going to those who will do them for less.

People see new ghettos

People see no go areas

people see the Government losing control and not knowing the extent of the people coming and staying.

It can hardly be surprising that if people see themselves loosing out, they will object.

Easy solution - can all the English please leave Wales as soon as possible. :smile:

17. Tanvir

Tanvir New Member

Albums:
    Brittain never signed up to be a melting pot--leave that to America. If you migrate to the UK, embrace the culture, whatever it be, and don't complain. Don't try to ram yours down everyone's throat- Americans are famous for this, and the Germans are just as bad. Be British dammit!

That's not always so easy, though. My folks kept all the good English traditions and still do in the US, but never felt completely accepted there and eventually moved us to the West Indies--then, here. It was very painful for them because they truly loved England, loved the Queen and still do. Now, many years later, they're feeling more American and make fun of our cousins from India. :biggrin1:

18. Cloud83UK

Cloud83UK New Member

Albums:
    That strikes me as quite a pessimistic assessment of life in Britain. There is a thriving immigrant culture in the UK, and it is much better integrated than in other European countries (notably France), though in some regions there are clearly residual difficulties.

If you really believe “they leave when asked to contribute something”, why do you assert “Which might go some way to understanding why so many Brits can't find work”? Surely if they’re all signing on and then disappearing when asked to do some work, there is no threat to British jobs.

Perhaps it would also be worth thinking about the level on which you think altruism should work. I think we should provide charity to all who need it, and of course we shouldn’t expect anything in return; that’s the nature of charity. Britain is a relatively rich country, and though we shouldn’t allow ourselves to be exploited, we should certainly use our (disproportionate) share of the world’s wealth to put those less fortunate on a more even footing.

19. fmhbta

fmhbta New Member

I agree completely with all you said. I would also like to add that the British make up more than 92 % of the population in the U.K. So, conversely, minorities make up less than 8 %. Wow, so many minorities to steal all their British jobs and threaten the British way of life! Obviously not much diversity there in the U.K. But then again, the English have never really been known to be accepting of non-English... just look at what they did to the Scots and Irish, not to mention their history of colonialism and human trafficking. English and, later, British intolerance is nothing new. But then again, how can anyone expect the British to welcome other nationalities, when they can barely even tolerate their own (i.e. mutual animosities among English, Scots, and Northern Irish!)

20. Cloud83UK

Cloud83UK New Member

Albums:
    Thanks! Your 92% vs 8% statistic is about right, depending on the measure, but the immigrant minority is not spread evenly throughout the country. In Leicester, for example, 23% of residents were born outside the UK, according to the (well-referenced) Wikipedia article. My point of contention is that I think the change in population *is* enough to bring about changes in the British way of life. But I don’t see why we should see that as a threat. We should embrace change, where it would improve our quality of life.

I also disagree strongly with your second point about English acceptance of non-English peoples. England has successfully integrated many waves of immigration throughout its history (Irish, Caribbean and Asian just looking at the 20th Century). Not to say that their assimilation was without problems, but I think Britain has done much better than many other host countries – Algerians in France and Turks in Germany are strong examples.

Draft saved Draft deleted