Brokeback Mountain

B_HungSpermBoy

1st Like
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
I brought up this topic b/c I found my own response to the film interesting. I had a hard time watching the guys feel all bad about their relationship, but I thought it was cool how affectionate they were with each other. It was pretty mellow actually. My girlfriend thought that the sex/love scenes were sexy. I think I felt a little uncomfortable with some of it. I just always feel sad that guys in our American culture have a hard time caring about each other, so for me seeing that portrayed was the best part.

B_caneadea

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
HungSpermBoy said:
I brought up this topic b/c I found my own response to the film interesting. I had a hard time watching the guys feel all bad about their relationship, but I thought it was cool how affectionate they were with each other. It was pretty mellow actually. My girlfriend thought that the sex/love scenes were sexy. I think I felt a little uncomfortable with some of it. I just always feel sad that guys in our American culture have a hard time caring about each other, so for me seeing that portrayed was the best part.[/quote
I have renewed hope for our future!:)

KinkGuy

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
Apparently, those of us here in the "hinter lands" won't get the opportunity to view this shocking love story for another 6-8 weeks. Guess they think we aren't sophisticated enough. <grumble>

Edit: Very intelligent and sensitive view of the world, HungSpermBoy.

B_HungSpermBoy

1st Like
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
KinkGuy said:
Apparently, those of us here in the "hinter lands" won't get the opportunity to view this shocking love story for another 6-8 weeks. Guess they think we aren't sophisticated enough. <grumble>

Edit: Very intelligent and sensitive view of the world, HungSpermBoy.

Thanx for the comps, guys. I have to say that this film really has stayed with me. It's so incredibly sad to me that two people can't just love each other, especially how in the case of the men in the film they could see no way to be together. It reminded me of how limiting our culture is in so many ways compared to other countries. And on top of it, how the guys themselves couldn't be vulnerable enough to each other to allow their love to develop. I guess it's actually a classic romance story, but with a certain twist. My girlfriend sobbed through the last 20 minutes & I found myself tearing up too. Wow.

B_IanTheTall

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
KinkGuy said:

It's because of Oscar that we don't get to se it yet. A movie needs to be in a certain number of theaters, prior to January 1st for consideration. Since the majority of the Academy's members live in coastal cities and Chicago, that is where it is being shown first.

Lex

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
GoneA said:
well, no ... but i heard it was horrible ... from trustworthy people. at least what i consider "trustworthy".
I suggest you read the story and see it. I have read the story a few times. My wife has read the story and seen the movie and she loved it (she is a big movie buff). She said the audience was completely silent the entire time.

GoneA

Sexy Member
Media
Lex said:
I suggest you read the story and see it. I have read the story a few times. My wife has read the story and seen the movie and she loved it (she is a big movie buff). She said the audience was completely silent the entire time.

SEE!!! now i get something completely different. guess there's no getting around it, i'm just going to have to do it the 'ole fashion way - go see it for myself.
;)

ashlar

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
I've heard both sides the the most popular seems to support my initial assumption about the film; That it's just two rednecks who one day discover they like one anothers weniers.

DadsAreUs

Admired Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
ashlar said:
I've heard both sides the the most popular seems to support my initial assumption about the film; That it's just two rednecks who one day discover they like one anothers weniers.

Not really. Its a story about two people who fall suddenly and passionately in love, a love that is doomed from the start by the conventions of the world in which they live. There is very little sex in the movie. And no mention of weiners.

ashlar

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
IanTheTall said:
That just ruins the entire movie for me. I was really hoping to hear Ledger say, "that is the biggest damn wiener I've seen since looking under the horse we rode up here on."

;)

*Hits the ground... DEAD!*

Hilarious Ian.

Lovely to see you again grasso *kish*

bigbrick

Experimental Member
Media
Just saw it yesterday and surprised how it is still staying with me today. If you like a lot of action in your movies, this isn't the movie for you. If you like a movie with great acting, great cinematograpy, top-notch directing, and that isn't afraid to take its time - this one is for you. It slowly tells a story of thwarted love and the people who are hurt by that, both the would-be lovers and those that are hurt by being involved with people who really want to be with another. It's about how it can be so hard for love to just be, due to society's hang-ups. After all, Romeo and Juliet are lovers who couldn't be together either. It's a story that has been told many times - just not in this way.

Kudos to you HSB for being open to really letting the emotion of the film get inside you.