Brokeback Mountain

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by B_Hung Muscle, Dec 22, 2005.

1. B_Hung Muscle

B_Hung Muscle New Member

I kinda loved it a lot, but I'm wondering if it will play well in the red states.

Have you seen it?

2. Likesembig

Likesembig Member

I can't wait to see it, already doing well in San Francisco which is to be expected.

3. Dr Rock

Gold Member

who lives in the east 'neath the willow tree? Sex
    who cares about them? they forfeited any right to be considered as fellow human beings when they elected republican governments

4. D_Martin van Burden

D_Martin van Burden Account Disabled

Rock -- really -- what the hell does that have to do with the movie? Sure, one could easily argue that if the red states have a majority of conservative citizens (wouldn't be too hard to follow that line), then these citizens might not be attracted to the movie. A right to exist, however, is a completely different, personal, and (here) irrelevant issue. Go put your hate into a more useful project, for the love of Christmas... jeez. :mad:

Back to the topic: I want to see it. I've heard very positive things about the story and how Gyllenhaal and Ledger play the roles, and I imagine it'll be an interesting eye-opener. After dealing with crap like "Fantastic Four," I'm ready for a movie with some more substance.

5. B_Hung Muscle

B_Hung Muscle New Member

I'd be interested to hear your take on it, Dee.

It's a relatively slow-moving film, definitely character-driven. There is no explicit sex per se between the two of them, but there is plenty of affection and lots of love.

The film is playing in relatively few places: mostly in gay neighborhood theaters and is doing booming business. Rock's comment notwithstanding, I'm very curious to see how it will play in more conservative areas and any effect the film will have on our country's view of homosexuality.

6. B_caneadea

B_caneadea New Member

7. B_Hung Muscle

B_Hung Muscle New Member

Don't worry, Cane; I started the thread but I'm not confounded. The chance to see your hot torso avatar again was, of course, delightful.

8. KinkGuy

Gold Member

It opens here 12/30. I'll let you know.

9. Kong

Kong New Member

Definitely Oscar material. I think the gay issue was secondary. It was a love story in it's truest form. Being gay in the 60s must have been hell.

10. B_munchme

B_munchme New Member

Fortunately it's playing in Miami so I went to see it with two of my Sorority sisters who are staying in town over break. We were practically the only women there and at first thought we might get stoned from all the South Beach gay muscle boys who were packing the theatre (our showing ended up being sold out as had been the previous showing). I originally wanted to see it because I'm so in love with Jake Gyllenhall, but ended up actually crying at the end of the thing. It was VERY moving, at least for me. I can't imagine what it must be like for gay men who have had to suffer so much hate and indifference in this country, and how impossible it would have been for guys in that area of the country during the 60's. I'll certainly look at the wild west differently now. I think I'll remember and FEEL that movie for a long time. My girlfriends loved it too.
    One of them though mentioned that she thought they tried to really force a connection to that Mathew Shepard guy who was killed, which I must have missed somehow.

11. B_Hung Muscle

B_Hung Muscle New Member

Huh? Matthew Shepard? Was I watching a different movie? There is no mention of Matthew Shepard in the film. I think your friend really was stoned or memorized too much of Frank Rich's column from last Sunday's New York Times. He drew that connection.

12. BBB2.5

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo
    Looking forward to seeing it....I saw something on the "LAGO" channel about the making of it...very nice in deed.
    :p

13. WestCoastTuba1982

WestCoastTuba1982 New Member

I saw it last week with a friend of mine in San Francisco .. the movie was 2 hours and 14 minuets long and it didnt seem nearly that long. I though it was great, Im definatly seeing it again when it comes to my area, and also buying it when it comes out on DVD ... the soundtrack is great too I think ( a friend if mine made a Medley of the music and is really good )

14. mehgah

mehgah New Member

Haven't even seen a preview for it. What's it about?

15. B_caneadea

B_caneadea New Member

My partner and I just returned from seeing it.

I usually avoid so called "gay" movies because they are usually very poorly done and are watered down to placate straights, religious nuts, etc. However all the rave reviews made me want to check it out.

This film was something else!
    Excellent, thoroughly believeable script, that picked up fast after a slow beginning.
    Beautifully acted by all members of the cast.
    Ang Lee's direction deserves the Oscar and the film will certainly be nominated for Best Picture.
    The story was told so well that anyone would be moved.
    Just a wonderful surprise of a film.:)

16. steve319

Gold Member

Read the short story a few years back and it just floored me. Good thing it was the last one in the collection because after that I was just useless--cried and cried. Powerful stuff.

Because of that, I'm not sure I want to see it just yet. A little too worn out from an exhausting semester and a some emotional debris, so I'm a bit too "vulnerable" right now. Maybe when it hits DVD.

I wonder how the film handles the ending...

17. Mattness

Mattness New Member

Albums:
    Kirkland, WA (Outside of Seattle, Washington)
    At the risk of being "The Turd In The Punchbowl", I saw "Brokeback" yesterday and didn't really care for it.

I found the plot interesting, but I thought the movie tried too hard and that Heath Ledger's acting was pretty bad (and he doesn't move his mouth when he talks making it difficult to understand him) and I thought most of the love scenes were very forced and unbelieveable and the scenarios too absurd and overly stereotypical. C'mon...Heath has to beat up Jake during sex just to be a "man"?

I also didn't like how they made Jake's character rather feminine and Heath's rather macho what with him being so violent. A bit to stereotypical and hetero-based for my taste.

After months of looking forward to this movie, I'll have to give it a 70 or so on a scale of 1-100. Yes, the scenery was awesome, but you could film a baby-killing scene in front of that scenery and it would still look gorgeous. Beautiful scenery does not an Oscar-winning movie make.

My two cents...

Draft saved Draft deleted