Bromance - What the? Is it just gay romance?

Discussion in 'Relationships, Discrimination, and Jealousy' started by D_Ball Walker, Jan 2, 2010.

1. D_Ball Walker

D_Ball Walker New Member

Please explain, beyond a definition, of a bromance. I'm trying to understand how it is not gay or bi related? And can a gay guy and a str8 guy enter into a bromance with each other? Last but not least, could a guy be in one and not know it?

2. rheno

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo
    Well, i think the popular definition of bromance means love (not in a sexual way) between males. As in the love you would have for your brother but with a best friend. Going out, having fun, messing around, but not sexual. At least that's what I understand! But im not american so some of your crazy lingo escapes me.

3. Preakness

Preakness Member

Ya its like a close relationship but not sexual? Like to the point where they seem like a couple.
    Its only between two straight guys I think.
    If one guy was gay or bi it might advance from bromance to romance for him.
    I guess it could happen, but it would be uncommon

#3 Preakness, Jan 2, 2010
    Last edited: Jan 2, 2010
  4. the_reverend

Gold Member

you want us to explain it beyond a definition? like, with visual aids? :p

it's hetero man love, baby. nothing sexual, but having a super close relationship with another guy. and yeah, a straight guy and a gay guy could totally have a bromance, in the same way a guy and girl can be incredibly close but not have a sexual aspect to their relationship.

i can't imagine a scenario where a guy would be in a "bromance" and not know it. unless he just started hanging out with another guy casually and it suddenly become much deeper and more meaningful so that he was caught by surprise, but he'd still KNOW it at that point.

5. D_Ball Walker

D_Ball Walker New Member

Hmmmm. Ok. I'm hearing what everyone is saying. Just a buddy, close friend.

6. hung9mike

hung9mike Well-Known Member

Albums:
    A bromance is a close, brotherly, nonsexual relationship between unrelated men. T Ordinarily it's thought of as being between straight men, but (based on personal experience) it can happen between gay men and straight men as well.

7. eyescream

Gold Member

Yeah as far as I know it's non-sexual. It's brotherly love which is what really close guy friends have, like your 'brother from another mother' or something similar.

8. nowayzomg

nowayzomg Member

Albums:
    The word bromance should be banned, it sounds so freaking dumb.

9. novice_btm

Staff Member Moderator Gold Member

Albums:
    Yes. YES! No. YES! NO!!!

Abso-freakin-lutely!

It's when two guys seem like they're dating, or like a couple, although there's no sex involved. Often, they even acknowledge this relationship, and even joke about it, like, "Dude, we're not dating, are we?" In the past couple of years, they've featured in several reality shows, where the mixes have run the full gambit of straight-straight, straight-?, and straight-gay.

It's actually quite common between straight men (mainly those that are open-minded on some level, even if it's not entirely consciously), and men that range from curious, to fully gay, although more so when the second is not known to be "non-straight" (whether because of being closeted, or just for whatever reason, not readily identifiable to the other as not being entirely straight). It is also quite common for the "non-straight" guy to develop somewhat of a crush, in these situations. Sometimes, when the straight guy is aware that the other guy is a "non-straight" guy, there may even be occasional flirting, which is just goofing around, although the "non-straight" guy may let this lead to wishful thinking, while at the same time, deep down, knowing better. Or, at least, really should.

10. Preakness

Preakness Member

How about : it was originally made to describe a relationship between two hetero guys, but it has changed over time to becoming more general - two guys regardless of sexuality.
    Wikipedia has a decent article on it, ha
    Bromance - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    I'm still learning the ways of Bromance

11. novice_btm

Albums:
    Excellent find!!! Love the term "homosocial intimacy". :wink:

Yeah, "Bronnie" was very cute, but also, a bit torturous to watch. Although, apparently, once they were let out of the house, Ronnie had a wandering eye, and was soon saying, "Ben, who?" At least according to the two of them on the reunion show.

12. D_Anton_Pavlovich_Jerkhov

D_Anton_Pavlovich_Jerkhov Account Disabled

No doubt, men need other men to feel more masculine. In most (if not all) cases, there's a sexual component in a male-to-male association, which can or cannot be acted upon. Deny it as we may, males admire other males' bodies and all. Even a "straight" guy may feel slightly aroused if he just concentrates on another man's body. What am I saying? Do I risk being banned?

What we don't need are labels. Men should make love to another men, if both feel like it, without being labelled as anything. This is just a natural thing, at least to my way of thinking.

13. D_Kay_Sarah_Sarah

D_Kay_Sarah_Sarah Account Disabled

Think of when your with your best mate and you say or think "I love ya mate, I'd do anything for you" Thats bro-mance.

Non-sexual man love.

14. feely

feely New Member

I'd say I've probably got some kind of bromance with a guy at uni. We share interests, go out drinking, can talk to each other about anything, trust each other and just get on outstandingly well. A family member died not so long ago and he was there to comfort me and help me even though exams were coming up and i'd have understood if he didn't, and i'd do the same for him, yet both of us are in committed heterosexual relationships.

That's a pretty serious bromance. Incidentally, he's also prime candidate for best man should I ever get married.

15. e1ectricfee1

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo
    J.D. and Turk on Scrubs. :\

16. rheno

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo
    It's tortuous, believe me.

17. shyguy1985

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo
    watch some episodes of Scrubs and you will learn everything you need to know about bromance.

18. novice_btm

Albums:
    Trust me, I was writing from experience(s). :wink:

19. southernstud

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo
  20. B_Hung Jon

B_Hung Jon New Member

I think it's just the latest word to describe close friendships between guys. It
    also uses part of the word romance to express something that we don't have many words for. I think bromance could be a lot of things; maybe an emotionally close relationship that is non-sexual but has some aspects of sensuality attached to it...like being physically close, hugging, kissing (not on lips!) and cuddling in the same bed. It also may include a commonality between the two guys like sports, sharing ideas and feelings, being similar to each other. People use the word "brotherly" to describe it but I know a lot of brothers who aren't necessarily very close. Maybe it's like an ideal brother connection. I know what it is for me because I have a few bromances.

Draft saved Draft deleted