Bromance

Discussion in 'Relationships, Discrimination, and Jealousy' started by Adam70, Jan 19, 2009.

1. Adam70

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo
    I have generally been happily surprised with the level of intellectual conversation on this site which, innitially, I thought was all about cock size.

So I have recently discovered the term Bromance and have tried to read up on it but can find much info. Are there any clever people who have any links or articles about the term bromance, where it originated etc etc?

thanks all!

ps. feel free to pm me.

2. D_Jared Padalicki

D_Jared Padalicki Account Disabled

Bromance :Describes the complicated love and affection shared by two straight males.

3. WaSwimmer

WaSwimmer New Member

Peiterjoke,

If that's how Bromance is defined, what's the term for the complex love and affection between a gay male and a straight male? I have several of those.... no sex involved, but true love and affection...

If there's no current term, feel free to suggest a couple.

4. D_Jared Padalicki

D_Jared Padalicki Account Disabled

5. ColonialBoy

ColonialBoy Member

To illustrate, there was lots of bromance with one guy at work. We were all on a new project and Mr X was the guy everyone liked and be friendly no matter who you are. Mr X had an "open" bromance with Mr Y and would go to lunch, out at night, to eachothers place. Mr Y left so Mr X started a new bromance with Mr Z and they would go to eachothers place & out to drinks. All very hetero.
    (At the same time I had the hots for Mr X so it became, err, complicated).

6. flame boy

flame boy Account Disabled

I think a straight guy and a gay guy can have a bromance. I have a selection of straight guy friends that I care for greatly. I don't think it has a different name if its between a straight and gay guy. I'm not sure where the word originated but it's been around for a little while.

7. mattsrod7

Gold Member

Albums:
  8. BiItalianBro

Gold Member

It is just a new term for an age old concept...and those douchebags on MTV's 'Bromance' make the chicks from 'My Sweet 16' look......really deep.

9. vergax

vergax Member

Albums:
    I didn't know that term at all!
    Recently i started chatting to an old childhood friend, who we all thought when little that was very mannered and gayish. Upon first time talking he told me he was oficially gay, now. I told him (after 15 yrs without being in touch) that it didn't surprise me, but I was very happy to have foud him back (on Facebook)
    The thing is I either love my friends (F and Ms) or I don't. It makes no difference their sexual preference. But in this case, I can say i have a gay friend who i love because we were best friends for a long part of our childhood until i left his country (diplomat parents)

10. mdlindqu

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo
    I thought it meant you were hot on your brother. LOL

11. B_bflr

B_bflr New Member

Bromance would describe a couple very close, nonsexual friendships I had with male friends in college. One continues to this day, we're both married now, never anything sexual, just very close, and yes we say "I love you" to each other without blushing.

12. Pierced7.5

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo
    I was discussing this same subject with a friend a couple days ago. We were talking about the actual show on MTV with Brody Jenner. His stance was that it was a whole stupid idea. I do have to admit that although it may be a bit dorky for Ratings that it does seem odd to me that they are doing this on tv. That being said, we both agreed that a "bromance" was a cool idea. Him and I are far from this but after discussing it with him I started to think about it lots. I mean really, at the end of the day, gay, straight, bi whatever. Having a close personal male friend is priceless. It has been years since I could say that I had one in my life but they were some of the happiest times. No sexual tension just to guys that like each other so much that there is no competition, there is no shyness and anything goes. Someone you can talk to and bond with and not feel like you have to explain intention thoughts or emotions, rather you are are just able to express them and move along.

Anyway... I think the idea of a Bromance is amazing. I never thought of giving it a term tho.

Does anyone really have this going on in their lives today?

13. thadjock

Gold Member

Albums:
    ya, brody jenner is the male paris hilton, except with a smaller brain and less money. both him and his show blows.

14. Gl3nn

Gold Member

I think you pretty much said it all...

15. B_ClydeS

B_ClydeS New Member

The first time I heard the term "Bromance" was on the second season of Big Brother on CBS in the U.S. It was how Will (the eventual winner) and Mike (the winner of the later all-star version) referred to one another. I believe they also used the term "Showmance" to refer to a relationship between two people in the Big Brother house that was just to get ahead in the game.

The term(s) may have originated elsewhere, but that was where/how I first heard it/them.

16. AG08

Gold Member

This topic was discussed under the thread:

Ever had a man crush?

There are some pretty good posts about this topic there. Enjoy!

17. B_Hung Jon

B_Hung Jon New Member

I have a good friend who's originally from Italy. We met at college a few years ago. He's just a very affectionate guy, so when we're alone together, we hold hands and cuddle on the couch watching vids or tv. He's into girls sexually and romantically but misses the physical closeness with his guy buddies in Italy. I think it's just more accepting in some other countries to have these kinds of relationships. It's also a great thing not having to worry about all the homophobic stuff.

18. mdlindqu

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo
    That sounds cool. Did you guys ever take it a little further?

19. D_Ball Walker

D_Ball Walker New Member

see i'm gay and i would love the affection if I knew for sure he didn't want to take it further. but on the other hand i could see str8 guys not wanting the affection at all and would consider the guy bi or wrongly gay.

actually i've never heard of such affection from a str8 man. different country i suppose.

20. D_Petherick_Poundlouder

This bro thing is very new to me.
    But I guess I have a few bromances. Eeeh...funny.

Draft saved Draft deleted