Bruce Springsteen

Flashy

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Anyone just not "get it" when it comes to Springsteen?

For those who are fans, don't take this as an "attack" on the boss, i don't hate the guy, and respect the fact that he has been making music for something like 40 years...

But i have really just never ever grown to like him...not his voice, or what he sings about, or the music itself.

I don't know if i am missing something, or if others feel like that about him too, i just never "got it"

any of you sort of feel like that towards him? Not dislike, just ambivalence and a sort of "eh" or "blah"?

Mem

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
I think Born To Run is one of the greatest rock songs ever. I'm not a fan of his, but I respect his talent and do like some of his hit songs.

He is also a great songwriter. He wrote classic hits for others including Blinded by the Light and Fire (by the Pointer Sisters).

D

deleted3782

I never liked him as much as I do now. He may be meat-n-potato, but that trumps celery-n-rice cakes in my book. :tongue:

PS - He's kinda sexy too...

(ya...what Mem said...)

tripod

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
It's all about the writing I guess. Bruce doesn't really write lyrics, he writes poetry. He is also concerned with the plight of the little guy, the underdog and the downtrodden. He is also a super liberal and those who look down on liberals will also look down upon him and his art.

There are many that love him and many that hate him... I am a bit of a fan I guess... I don't ever just rock a Springsteen song on my iPod or whatever, but I always enjoy it when one of his better songs comes on the radio.

He's also big on American roots music, so if one is ambivalent towards Americana and folk music, then I can see how they would be ambivalent his stuff.

I think it really helps to be from New Jersey and be of a certain age group.

Skull Mason

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I'm from Jersey and I'm not really a fan, in fact, the songs I enjoy his real fans probably don't (tunnel of love, human touch). I probably missed the age cut off because most people older than me love him as I'm sure they have countless memories of going down the jersey shore blasting his music during the summers growing up. Music is powerful like that, I never liked dave matthews but when I hear him now it takes me back to the best time in my life when everyone else was listening to him and it gets me very nostalgic.

Dave NoCal

Superior Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
I like what I know of him as a person, then a song writer, then a performer in that order. I enjoy his songs on the radio but only have one album and haven't listened to it in at least fifteen years.
I admire that he has stayed married to the same woman, divides the proceedes equally with his bandmates, keeps the same bandmates, supports liberal causes, and writes populist lyrics. I imagine myself enjoying getting to know him. Cool guy!
Dave

Zeuhl34

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I like his rockier stuff, like Greetings from Asbury Park, N.J. and Born to Run, but his folkier stuff is absolute shit, IMO.

B_starinvestor

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
It's all about the writing I guess. Bruce doesn't really write lyrics, he writes poetry. He is also concerned with the plight of the little guy, the underdog and the downtrodden. He is also a super liberal and those who look down on liberals will also look down upon him and his art.

I grew up in a small, sports town in the 80's and his music was extremely popular in those parts - as was John Cougar (later Mellencamp).

Glory Days, Born in the USA etc., were played constantly, as were Small Town, Jack & Diane by Cougar - and set to highlight films for the football team, etc.

When Springstein and Cougar become outspoken about politics I lost respect for them. It is annoying when artist speak up about politics (think Sean Penn.)

But I loved that music in my teen years. Nowadays, I change the station as soon as I hear Bruce's voice.

invisibleman

Loved Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
Anyone just not "get it" when it comes to Springsteen?

For those who are fans, don't take this as an "attack" on the boss, i don't hate the guy, and respect the fact that he has been making music for something like 40 years...

But i have really just never ever grown to like him...not his voice, or what he sings about, or the music itself.

I don't know if i am missing something, or if others feel like that about him too, i just never "got it"

any of you sort of feel like that towards him? Not dislike, just ambivalence and a sort of "eh" or "blah"?

I don't like Bruce Springsteen. Just my personal taste in men and in music.
I don't have anything against him at all.