Bucking convention, defying norms, beating the odds

Ethyl

Legendary Member
Media
Philadelphia (Pennsylvania, United States)
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
The current changes in my life leave me feeling as though i'm doing this every day when I climb out of bed. Most of the time I feel great when I overcome any hurdle but some days I seek inspiration when things seem a bit overwhelming. Keeps things in perspective when i'm reading media crap and naysayers who chorus their lack of insight in my ears.

Have you beaten the odds? Explain how.

SpoiledPrincess

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I've always done exactly what I wanted to as long as it wasn't hurting the people I cared about. When we're on our deathbeds (aren't I a little ray of sunshine) we don't want to look back on a lifetime of opportunities we missed just because we were scared of what people might say. Ignore the naysayers, you can't be responsible for their feelings, only for your own.

JustAsking

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I had an idea, wrote the software for it, and started a business around it with an ex-coworker. My idea is unconventional, it certainly defies norms by going up against the other players in very big industry with a completely different approach and a very different business model. It took me four years to get it to the point of it being marketable, and now it is starting to take off.

Besides the odds of beating the big guys in an established industry, I overcame personal odds. I am very good at taking calculated risks with technology, but I am totally risk averse when it comes to money. In order to do this business, however, I had to put all of my net worth up for business loans.

I found that business like this either grow quickly or they die. So I have incurred lots of debt and I have learned to look the whole thing in the eye like a steely-eyed gunslinger. It is very unnerving to be paying rent for a facility, hiring people and paying their salaries when one is not even profitable yet.

The other odds I am beating is that most startups fail way before the point where mine is now.

B_Think_Kink

Sexy Member
Media
I beat emotional, physical, and psychological abuse. I'm constantly working towards a career in Social Work despite being diagnosed by two psychiatrists with an Avoidant Personality Disorder.

Yorkie

Superior Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I think the odds have beaten me...
You're a long way from being beaten I'm sure.

I'm still as directionless as I was as a teenager.I've had about 14 jobs,I never thought of any of them as permanent. 5 years is the longest I've stayed anywhere.My parents kept predicting my doom but I've never been in debt in my life,so from their point of view I've beaten the odds.
I backed the winner of the St.Leger a few years ago at 20/1 ,I'd like to beat those kind of odds more often. :smile:

I'm going through an amazing period of personal growth at the moment. Quite different from when I locked myself in the garage with my car engine running.

whatireallywant

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay

I'm still as directionless as I was as a teenager.I've had about 14 jobs,I never thought of any of them as permanent. 5 years is the longest I've stayed anywhere.My parents kept predicting my doom but I've never been in debt in my life,so from their point of view I've beaten the odds.
I backed the winner of the St.Leger a few years ago at 20/1 ,I'd like to beat those kind of odds more often. :smile:

I'm pretty directionless myself these days, but from 1995-2005 I was steadily employed. Unfortunately, I AM in debt - I have credit card debt of around $13,000! :eek: Most of that is moving expenses and car repairs, and most of the rest is dental bills from when I had to have a lot of dental work done in one year, and it was actually a life-threatening emergency! I was in critical condition in the hospital for a week! But the non-dental medical bills were fully covered by my insurance. Hopefully I will not have any medical emergencies right now or anytime soon since I am now uninsured.

I thought I had a steady job in IT, then got laid off and found out my skill level and breadth of knowledge was not enough to get me any of the available jobs. I am now applying for computer operator jobs again (I did that from 1995-1997), and am even considering doing data entry jobs just to get by, since I found out my typing speed is enough to get me a low-level data entry job. There are just too many different programming languages and technologies that each job wants you to know 6 or 7 different ones, and be expert-level at all of them. People with more expertise than I have are even ditching the field and looking into other fields of work. (I know - I've talked to several of them!)

As for beating the odds, I moved to San Antonio in March 2006, was fired from the job I moved here for in June 2006, but am still in San Antonio, and am not living out on the streets (yet!) - I guess you could say that is beating the odds. Some people even thought I would never leave my parents' house (due to extreme shyness, etc.), and I did move out and have lived alone since 2001 (and lived with a boyfriend from 1995-2001).

HazelGod

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
Have you beaten the odds? Explain how.

I probably have...largely by not giving a rat's ass what the odds might be for any given situation. I've found that going into experiences with a mind completely free of any predispositions favors positive impressions...for me, at least. Some might also view this from the other side of the coin, saying that I have to learn everything the hard way. So be it. It's always been my experience that the ups outnumber the downs in applying my philosophy to life. Your mileage may vary, red.

Ethyl

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
I've always done exactly what I wanted to as long as it wasn't hurting the people I cared about. When we're on our deathbeds (aren't I a little ray of sunshine) we don't want to look back on a lifetime of opportunities we missed just because we were scared of what people might say. Ignore the naysayers, you can't be responsible for their feelings, only for your own.
That's how i've lived my life for some time now. Ignoring the naysayers is sometimes harder when they're in your face all the time but I remind myself that their attitude is the reason they're taking the time to tell me what cannot be when and not using it to broaden their horizons.
I had an idea, wrote the software for it, and started a business around it with an ex-coworker. My idea is unconventional, it certainly defies norms by going up against the other players in very big industry with a completely different approach and a very different business model. It took me four years to get it to the point of it being marketable, and now it is starting to take off.
Congratulations! What an immense sense of satisfaction you must feel now that it's taking off.
Besides the odds of beating the big guys in an established industry, I overcame personal odds. I am very good at taking calculated risks with technology, but I am totally risk averse when it comes to money. In order to do this business, however, I had to put all of my net worth up for business loans.
Following your dreams whilst tackling some of your worst fears is a daunting task, hence the creation of this thread. I need a reminder that walking out my front door every day and pushing forward with my goals despite my fears is still the right decision.
I found that business like this either grow quickly or they die. So I have incurred lots of debt and I have learned to look the whole thing in the eye like a steely-eyed gunslinger. It is very unnerving to be paying rent for a facility, hiring people and paying their salaries when one is not even profitable yet.

The other odds I am beating is that most startups fail way before the point where mine is now.
Your unwavering faith in your venture is an inspiration. Thank you for sharing your story with us. :smile:
I beat emotional, physical, and psychological abuse. I'm constantly working towards a career in Social Work despite being diagnosed by two psychiatrists with an Avoidant Personality Disorder.
Impressive, TK. Very impressive. Those are large odds you're up against. Keep up the good work and let us know your progress.
See Drifterwood's post below. :smile: Sometimes knowing that you're still breathing and have a chance at a life you want is most uplifting.
bliss,
by the way, really beautiful new pictures in your gallery. you both are stunning.
Thank you. :smile:
It takes a lot to make this chick go down and if she does, she always gets up again.
Sounds like you have a few things of which to be proud. Remind yourself of that more often. :smile:
I have noticed that the sun rises every morning and a new day begins. :smile:
Ah, yes. The fragility and brevity of life. Precious indeed.
I'm going through an amazing period of personal growth at the moment. Quite different from when I locked myself in the garage with my car engine running.
There are amazing things to come in your future. Those who struggle with themselves and overcome personal odds reap the most benefits later in life. They are grateful for what they have, anticipate the future, and are willing to share their wisdom with others as you have here on this forum.

As for beating the odds, I moved to San Antonio in March 2006, was fired from the job I moved here for in June 2006, but am still in San Antonio, and am not living out on the streets (yet!) - I guess you could say that is beating the odds. Some people even thought I would never leave my parents' house (due to extreme shyness, etc.), and I did move out and have lived alone since 2001 (and lived with a boyfriend from 1995-2001).
Shyness can be endearing although unfortunately it can be crippling for some. I have friends who've struggled with shyness for years and have learned to break through the barriers it creates, a few learned how to make it work for them in odd and various ways. I commend you for sticking it out and staying where you wanted, even when the rough times rolled around. :smile:

I probably have...largely by not giving a rat's ass what the odds might be for any given situation. I've found that going into experiences with a mind completely free of any predispositions favors positive impressions...for me, at least. Some might also view this from the other side of the coin, saying that I have to learn everything the hard way. So be it. It's always been my experience that the ups outnumber the downs in applying my philosophy to life. Your mileage may vary, red.

There are two kinds of people I admire: those who succeed because it's never occurred to them there wasn't anything they couldn't do and those who succeed despite being told the odds were against them and they chose to not believe them. You appear to fall in the first category. Are you really learning the hard way if your mind is free of said predispositions?

Thanks to everyone for sharing your stories. You've given me much food for thought and reminded me to continue to focus on my goals.

Ethyl

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
That's how i've lived my life for some time now. Ignoring the naysayers is sometimes harder when they're in your face all the time but I remind myself that their attitude is the reason they're taking the time to tell me what cannot be and not using it to broaden their horizons.
Congratulations! What an immense sense of satisfaction you must feel now that it's taking off.
Following your dreams whilst tackling some of your worst fears is a daunting task, hence the creation of this thread. I need a reminder that walking out my front door every day and pushing forward with my goals despite my fears is still the right decision.

Your unwavering faith in your venture is an inspiration. Thank you for sharing your story with us. :smile:
Impressive, TK. Very impressive. Those are large odds you're up against. Keep up the good work and let us know your progress.
See Drifterwood's post below. :smile: Sometimes knowing that you're still breathing and have a chance at a life you want is most uplifting.
bliss,
by the way, really beautiful new pictures in your gallery. you both are stunning.
Thank you. :smile:
It takes a lot to make this chick go down and if she does, she always gets up again.
Sounds like you have a few things of which to be proud. Remind yourself of that more often. :smile:
I have noticed that the sun rises every morning and a new day begins. :smile:
Ah, yes. The fragility and brevity of life. Precious indeed.
There are amazing things to come in your future. Those who struggle with themselves and overcome personal odds reap the most benefits later in life. They are grateful for what they have, anticipate the future, and are willing to share their wisdom with others as you have on this forum.

Shyness can be endearing although unfortunately it can be crippling for some. I have friends who've struggled with shyness for years and have learned to break through the barriers it creates, a few learned how to make it work for them in odd and various ways. I commend you for sticking it out and staying where you wanted, even when the rough times rolled around. :smile:

There are two kinds of people I admire: those who succeed because it's never occurred to them there wasn't anything they couldn't do and those who succeed despite being told the odds were against them and they chose to not believe them. You appear to fall in the first category. Are you really learning the hard way if your mind is free of said predispositions?

Thanks to everyone for sharing your stories. You've given me much food for thought and reminded me to continue to focus on my goals.

lafever

Superior Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
No ones going to live my dreams for me, when you awaken, as i call it, old dreams re-awake and new possibilities arise.

lafever

SpeedoGuy

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
I've twice overcome crippling injury to run marathons.

I maintained my sanity despite death in the family, a broken home, alcoholism, drug dependence and divorce so prevalent in my family. This has not been a trivial task.

In childhood I endured and outlasted ridicule and ostracization because I maintained my individuality and independence despite the destructive peer pressure and emotional abuse heaped on me.

I achieved a record of solid academic and professional accomplishment despite the setbacks listed above.

My most recent bucking-the-odds achievement came, surprisingly, in my professional life. I, along with a few others, somehow mustered the strength of character to stand fast against a tide of threats, ridicule, intimidation and ostracization for failing to support the dishonest and shoddy policies being pushed by the management of the organization I worked for. The bitter pressure of the confontation lasted several years and it took its toll on me but eventually the views we held were vindicated.