Building a website, I'm lost ><

Media
I've done very basic websites in the past for college classes using FrontPage, and actually putting together a site isn't terribly challenging, though I don't do many fancy things. But I'm having trouble even publishing the website online. A friend of mine asked for my help with a website for him and I agreed, letting him know of my limited experience but he wasn't looking for anything spectacular.

So he bought the "Web Hosting Starter" on Yahoo.com, everything is good now all paid for and up and running. So it allows for the use of FrontPage. When I finished a basic first page named index.html, I saved and went to Publish. The address to use was ftp.p9.webhosting.yahoo.com and it seemingly did it successfully after asking me for the Yahoo ID and password, and in the file manager I see all the files. No matter what I keep clicking on though I get the generic Internet Explorer message that the website has not been found. When I click View on any file, even the .jpg's uploaded along with index.html, it tries to open http://bodyfactoryllc.com/BodyFactoryLogo.JPG for example, and shows website not found.

I tried using Yahoo's other tool SiteBuilder, did a simple site, published seemingly successfully and saw it again in the File Manager, and also website no found. What am I doing wrong here that I can't make it viewable? The domain is www.bodyfactoryllc.com. Any help would be appreciated.

SpoiledPrincess

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
You could try logging onto one of the big irc servers (undernet or dalnet perhaps) and going into a techy type room there, there are always guys dying to show off their computer know how. Being asked for help puts them into geeker heaven :)

freeballing

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
50% Straight, 50% Gay
This sounds like a DNS issue. login to the control panel for the domain registrar and confirm that the dns servers are pointing to yahoo's name server in your hosting account. you can build the best page in the world and upload files all night long, but if the DNS is pointing into outer space, you won't be able to load the page... good luck!

HazelGod

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
This sounds like a DNS issue.

That's the problem exactly.

Your domain name doesn't resolve to an IP address in the public internet space. You need to contact the domain host and find out what's going on. Until they update their DNS tables, nobody will ever be able to hit that site using the domain name.

Media
My friend had been paying for this domain for awhile then let it expire, he just paid for it again today and they said up to 24 hours. When they sent an email saying the doman was active again I took that to mean everything should be working. I'd remind you all that I'm a noob when it comes to this stuff, but I think just by reading the words coming out of my mouth that its pretty obvious =p. Perhaps they meant 24 hours until the DNS issue would be resolved?

HazelGod

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
Perhaps they meant 24 hours until the DNS issue would be resolved?

Probably. They likely do once-daily batch updates of their domain assignments, so his will get picked up in the next batch.

At a command prompt, type ping www.bodyfactoryllc.com every once in a while.

When it stops giving your the error message unknown host, then you know the DNS entries are active.

findfirefox

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
WHOIS shows the correct NS Servers from what i can tell
Name Server.......... yns1.yahoo.com
Name Server.......... yns2.yahoo.com

So the Registrar has them setup properly

There seems to be some issues with the DNS.

Heres a DNS report, Watchout you only get a few runs, DNS Stuff: DNS tools, DNS hosting tests, WHOIS, traceroute, ping, and other network and domain name tools.

It shows that you have Lame Nameservers, as said above that means the DNS servers are not dishing out the IP's still. Give it 24 hours and bother them if it does not start to resolving using a ping.

DNS servers update on a sched, each ISP has its own DNS server as well that has to update, basicly its not instant, 24 hours is a very real waiting time.

HazelGod

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
Thanks HG, you've been a big help tonight. For hours I thought I was forgetting a simple step or something and causing this.

Glad to do it.

I've been working with the plumbing long enough to tell when the pipes aren't connected! If you need design advice, though, I'm about as useful as tits on a boar hog.