Bulging and the arts

Discussion in 'Underwear, Clothing, and Appearance Issues' started by DuvalinCT, Jul 8, 2006.

1. DuvalinCT

DuvalinCT Active Member

Albums:
    Does anyone have any experiences regarding bulges and theater?

I'm an actor, and recently I was in a musical where my character would wear just underwear for an extended scene. Mine was not the only character who had a scene like this (and people say theater is staid!). To minimize any large, um surprises from anyone during the show, all guys who appeared in just their underwear had to wear dance belts underneath. It gave a streamlined effect, and minimized protrusions. Hey, it works for ballet dancers! They have nice crotches, but nothing obscene.

Of course, after the first dress rehearsal, I got a note from the director: "[DuvalinCT], were you wearing your dance belt? Everyone else was." I explained to him the next day that, yes, I was wearing my minimizer, and we'd just have to deal with that situation. He said "Well, it will work for your character", glanced at my crotch (you know theater types), and smiled and rolled his eyes. Of course, word spread around the rest of the cast, and it became the subject of light ribbing for the rest of the run.

So, does anyone else have any stories? Seen a show with a guy packing a bundle, or being in a show themselves?

2. D_alex8

D_alex8 Member

Peter Cushing used to relate a similar anecdote concerning a British stage production in which he appeared in the late 1940s. A rather irate director apparently stopped rehearsal mid-way through a somewhat involved musical number to bawl at one member of the cast that he should leave the stage immediately and go to put on a dance belt, as had been instructed. At which juncture, the actor in question lowered his apparel to demonstrate that he was indeed already wearing one. The suddenly subdued director meekly signaled for the rehearsal to resume. Peter, being Peter, never divulged the name of the actor in question.

3. B_Lightkeeper

B_Lightkeeper New Member

I was in a theatre group production of "Li'l Abner" years ago and the director (a flaming queen - although seemingly well-liked) insisted that the guys auditioning for the muscle men transformation, strip down to their underwear. Some wore boxers, some briefs and one or two had gone as far as to wear bathing suits underneath their trousers. I remember this one hunk in jockey briefs looked like he had stuffed a coke bottle inside. The director remarked in a low voice unheard to those on stage...".he's certainly going to get a part, but we may have to make him tuck it under and between his legs come showtime."
    Did he get cast? Yes, and very drunk at the after-opening night party and wound up getting nude and dancing to "Oh, Happy Day" - a song from the show.

4. hung

Gold Member

Albums:
    I do believe it was a production of "King Lear" many years ago at "Stratford on Avon" where I was exposed to the Bulging on one of the cast members. In fact the bulge was pronounced. I do believe it was a tin contracption about five inches across and looked like the bottom of a large tin can.

Interesting theatre.

5. actorboy99

actorboy99 Member

I have been in this situation twice. The first was when I was acting as a costumed usher for a college production of Rumplestiltskin my freshman year. The director handed the other usher and myself each a pair of black tights and a tunic with a belt. "Go put these on to seat the kids as they come in" We both did as we were told. My tunic just came to the bottom of my bulge (about 3 inches too short at least) when standing still; walking was a different story. One afternoon, the group in the house was high school aged. Walking up and down the aisles I noticed a group of girls giggling and pointing at me. This of course made me want to know why they were laughing at me (paranoid), so I walked up the aisle next to them and watched them stare at my crotch. When I got close enough to them I smiled and winked. They of course got all giggly again.

The second time was last summer with the Community Theater I am currently with. It was a production of Kiss Me, Kate in which I played Kate and Bianca's father Baptista (I was much too young for the part, But oh well I pulled it off) the costumer had me in a purple tunic and tights. One night I was sitting backstage and one of the chorus members is sitting across from me. She and I are talking normally when all of a sudden she starts smiling. I ask her what's wrong and she says that I should sit with my legs crossed when in a costume like that.

P.S.: "Oh happy day when miracles take place,
    And Scientists control the human race..."
    --Dr. Rasmussen T. Finsdale
    I played Marryin' Sam my senior year of high school

6. LeeEJ

Gold Member

Albums:
    Not a bulge, and not a stage production, but the general tone reminds me of a story told on either Bob Costas's or Tom Snyder's edition of the Late Late Show. This is how I remember hearing it on the broadcast...

The guest was, I believe, a Hollywood film cameraman who had worked with Alfred Hitchcock. Among his many stories, he told of shooting Hitchcock's movie Lifeboat. The lead actress was known for never wearing underwear, which gave a shock to each of the actors as she was the first to climb into the lifeboat.

The comment was made to Hitchcock that filming from a low angle was pretty impossible since she was showing her privates. Hitchcock dryly responded, "Well... I'm not sure whether to talk to costume, lighting, or the hairdresser."

7. D_alex8

D_alex8 Member

You're allowed to say "Tallulah Bankhead", y'know, she won't sue you from beyond the grave. :wink:

8. SpiceboyMJ

SpiceboyMJ New Member

Albums:
    I swear sometimes I think my cock is another cast member in the shows that I am in! It gets quite annoying to be honest. I've worked with a director who always insist that my crotch be thoroughly covered on stage to the point of ruining a line and me always wearing baggy pants. It's pathetic really.

9. B_IanTheTall

B_IanTheTall New Member

Try wearing a flesh toned dance strap under the underpants.

10. D_Lawsonne Lackingnuts

I attended our school's spring play this year. I don't remember what it was called. I'm not that into theater and I only went because of a friend who was in the show.

Anyway, at one point, the lead male character changed his pants onstage during a scene. Well, the guy playing the character was named Peter and he wore tighty whities underneath, showing off his rather large bulge. There were quite a few cat calls from the audience, including a "Take it all off!" from one rather enthusiastic audience member.

11. AzTwo

AzTwo New Member

Was at a ballet a few months ago in Phoenix. (wasn't a huge fan b4 that night...) One of the dancers (not professional troupe) wasn't properly equiped for his equipment, and you could totally tell that he was cut and leaning left. And I was in the sixth row. i'm sure the front row got even better view. my friend turned to me 1/2 way through and whispered, "let's try to find him back stage and see if we can get his cock to switch sides." It doesn't sound so funny now i guess, but i snickered so hard. We drew a lot of "how dare you" laughs from the folks around us. But watching him did get me hard enough that i politely excused myself during intermission and took care of my own bulge (I hang left, too).

Draft saved Draft deleted