Burning Koran

Discussion in 'Politics' started by hifzija, Mar 22, 2011.

1. hifzija

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo
    Priest Terry Jones was burned the Koran (muslim`s holly Book).
    What is your opinion about this,Is it OK.Is it inciting hatred.
    Is now Ok if Muslims in Mosques burn The Bible.
    My opinion is that this is only extending war with Arabs country`s.

2. pedercic99

pedercic99 Active Member

Albums:
    If a stupid Christian decides to burn the Koran, then it's fine for an equally stupid Muslim to burn the Bible as far as I'm concerned. If poor dim Terry Jones did burn the Koran it would incite little or no hatred towards Islam except amongst very stupid Christians who probably hate Islam anyway, and none at all amongst atheists. What it would provoke is a violent reaction from many Muslims, by no means all of them stupid. So as I see it the problem is not hatred but the degree of offence taken, whether it is disproportionate, and if so whether the first Amendment should be modified to take account of it.

3. hifzija

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo
    I agree with you,but it`s only depending how people interpreting first Amandment.

4. Drifterwood

Gold Member

Mr. Jones should be treated with the contempt that he deserves; but mostly ignored as the irrelevance that he is.

5. Guardian100

Guardian100 Member

Can't really call that priest a christian just because he calls himself one, he's inciting hate which goes against the very foundation of christianity.

6. hifzija

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo
    Yes ,but.We can ignore Mr.Jones, and can not ignore what he doing.Muslims around the world would not ignore this,especially now,when American Army fighting again in Arab countries. Problem is why nobody judge this burning.Pres. Obama was judge this on 9/11,but now ...silence.

7. Masterbeight

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo
    Respect, that's what it's all about. Always.

8. hifzija

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo
    Yes Guardian100,I agree.But how to tell this to whole world..We judge All Muslims
    and Islam for couple bombers in NYC.Why would`nt Muslims judge all Christians for one crazy Priest.

9. 6inchcock

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Look north and turn left, real sudden like
    Verified:
    Photo
    Jones is an inflammatory asshole. Much like his counterparts that incite Jihad or use the word "but" when condoning an act of terrorism on innocent people.

Said asshole is not protected by the First Amendment to do as he pleases. Freedom of religion does not allow you to shit upon others.

The First Amendment IMHO was to prevent a "Church of State" by the founding fathers, which many found disagreeable when leaving Great Britain. Most of the intolerance and many wars were fought during much of Europe's history over the question of the church.

Jones would find his position much less agreeable if he was dragged into civil court and had to compensate in dollars for the stupidity of his actions. Many people in the US do many stupid things and get away them, until either A) put behind bars or B) forced into bankruptcy in a civil court.

He is yet another extremist religious asshole that has found fifteen minutes of fame through the wonders of technology.

10. Industrialsize

Staff Member Moderator Gold Member

Albums:
    As hateful and inflammatory as Mr Jones is, his actions are protected by the first amendment. The Supreme Court recently ruled in favor of the free speech rights of reverend Phelps, another hateful, inflammatory person.

11. D_CountdeGrandePinja

D_CountdeGrandePinja Account Disabled

Many years ago - in the 1200's - Francis of Assisi shared a meal and conversation with the Sultan - we learn more about each other in meal sharing than in burning our holy books.

They did not convert each other but respected and learned that God is One.

12. hifzija

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo
    In this case "Industrialsize", everything is covered by first Amandment,Hidjab,Nikab,circumcision,everything.I think it`s depend ,how people interpret firs Amandment.

13. Industrialsize

Albums:
    The first amendment only protects "free SPEECH".

14. hifzija

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo
    I know,but don`t understand how is burning koran "free Speech".It is destroying stuff of one religion in the "holly-house" of other religion.Sorry but i don`t find it like Free Speech.

15. B_VinylBoy

B_VinylBoy New Member

Industrialsize, 6inchcock & Drifterwood hit the nail on the head. Although burning a bible or Koran is protected by our first Amendment in this country, most people would agree that doing it is not only absolutely stupid, but also goes against the basic principle of peace & tolerance that most religions claim to teach. With recent actions by Representative King and his sham of a hearing to target the radicalization of Islam, something as insignificant as burning a book in "protest" doesn't have the same weight or importance. Terry Jones is starved for attention, not to further push his religious beliefs but to boost membership to his own church using a socially divisive topic. As long as he's taking a torch to books and not to Mosques or other religious buildings, we should ignore the twit for the false prophet he really is.

16. Industrialsize

Albums:
    The burning of an American Flag is considered free speech according to the US Constitution. I'm not sure what country you are from, but that's the way the US Constitution works.

17. 6inchcock

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo
    It's not over until the Fat lady sings. The decision is still pending.

In the case of Snyder v. Phelps, the 4th Circuit Court of Appeals ruled that “distasteful and repugnant” protests surrounding funerals of service members were protected by the First Amendment. But attorneys for the service member’s family are appealing the decision on the grounds that such speech should not be allowed to inflict emotional distress on private parties exercising their freedom of religion during a funeral service. The Supreme Court will likely hear the case in the fall of 2011.

I despise this particular breed of asshole especially.

18. Industrialsize

Albums:
    The Supreme Court already ruled in Favor of Reverend Phelps. They ruled 8 to 1 in his favor with justice Alito being the lone dissenter:
    Snyder v. Phelps: Westboro wins the battle but the war rages on - Portland Religion & Politics | Examiner.com

19. 6inchcock

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo
    OK court ruled for the dick weed on his right to picket because he hides behind a cross.

I revert to my original comment "Said asshole is not protected by the First Amendment to do as he pleases. Freedom of religion does not allow you to shit upon others."

I appreciate the article link though, I liked Judge Alito's rebuttal. Good t see the occasional set of balls to match brains.

This subject drives me fucking nuts as a veteran.

20. Industrialsize

Albums:
    The court's decision had nothing to do with religion and everything to do with Speech.

Draft saved Draft deleted