Burqa ban?

Discussion in 'Politics' started by B_mitchymo, Jan 23, 2010.

1. B_mitchymo

B_mitchymo New Member

Already the discussion has begun in the UK about Sarkozy's belief that the head-to-toe veil should be banned and whether it would be right or wrong.

Personally, i would be happy to see it banned but i'm disgusted that far right groups are jumping on the debate for their own hateful ends.

Anyone have thoughts?

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/europe/8113778.stm

2. midlifebear

Gold Member

Well, some days and old faggot like me just hasn't the time to groom his bald head and throwing on a burqa just to leave the house for a few minutes and go to the store is a real time saver.

Mitchymo: You do know I love you, don't you? :biggrin1:

3. nakedfish

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo
    make up your own mind and forget about what others think or say. ain't that what your momma taught ya?

4. Drifterwood

Gold Member

Free to choose, that is the question.

I don't think that there is one answer.

5. B_mitchymo

B_mitchymo New Member

:eek:fftopic: :biggrin1:

6. B_Hung Jon

B_Hung Jon New Member

If the burqa symbolizes the separation, control and subjugation of women to men, then I say ban it.

7. B_mitchymo

B_mitchymo New Member

I agree, it's quite a tricky thing to determine though because it is supposedly a symbol of devotion.

8. joyboytoy79

Gold Member

Albums:
    I know several Muslim women who wear no head covering at all. I know a slightly larger number who wear a hijab, and I know one who wears a burqa. The women who wear no head covering, for the most part, consider themselves mostly secular. The women who wear the hijab, and the one woman who wears the burqa, say that it symbolizes their devotion to the faith. Personally, I don't care if a woman wears a burqa or not, but if she chooses to, I think that's her prerogative. I think we'd all agree that it's in poor taste to ask a nun to remove her habit, and it symbolizes the same thing.

I do, however, find the burqa impractical for many daily activities, such as banking and traveling. Also, the use of a credit card. Any activity where Identification is required would require the removal of the burqa.

9. midlifebear

Gold Member

If burqas are band in the west then it's only a matter of time when mothers are arrested for dropping off and picking up their kids at school while sitting in their SUVs wearing nothing but housecoats (bathrobes) and fuzzy slippers.

10. StrictlyAvg

StrictlyAvg Member

Interesting debate on Beeb2 this week (can't remember the program u/f) where the muslim woman speaking (wearing a white head covering) said there was no Koranic requirement to wear head or face coverings... It's a modern Sharia interpretation that's brought that in. So claims any ban would be anti-Islamic don't really hold water.
    Nevertheless, bans on things that don't cause harm to others always make me twitchy.

11. Jason

Gold Member

I'm inclined to say that we should look to a ban. But the ban should be for any garment that covers the whole face, eg including a balaclava. The rationale is that such garments prevent facial recognition and hinder daily interaction within our society. Think for example of the use made of balaclavas by paramilitary groups in Northern Ireland. Balaclavas and burqas are both real security risks in a time of high alert.

I think there are real issues around possible exemptions and big issues around enforcement (what should the fine or punishment for infringement be?) I take on board that within some Islamic households women would be confined indoors by their husbands if they could not wear a burqa (though imprisonment is already illegal). But I also think it is very hard for us to claim equal treatment for women when this ghastly practice continues. And I do think it is a credible security threat to have people walking around masked.

BNP are jumping on the bandwaggon perhaps in part because the major parties aren't discussing it. Just because the racist BNP likes it doesn't in itself make the policy racist. Rather we need a cool discussion so that we can come up with a sensible non-racist policy.

12. B_mitchymo

B_mitchymo New Member

13. B_mitchymo

B_mitchymo New Member

Exactly right. Well said!

14. Jason

Gold Member

The burqa is an age old garment worn by both sexes in desert dust storms. In orgin it was purely functional and was taken off when not required much as we would take off a raincoat when a rain storm stops.

The burqa is not mentioned in the Koran. There is a requirement that both men and women should dress modestly but nothing to suggest anything like a burqa. The burqa is a relatively recent interpretation and the custom particularly prevalent in Saudi Arabia where it is cultural rather than religious. Sharia law is not clear on the point as StrictlyAvg says. Suggestions that the veiling of women is a male sexual fetish do seem to have foundation; what we have in the burqa is a cultural adoption of a male fetish. The process of subjugation includes brainwashing women so that they believe that it is good and right to want to wear a burqa, and women will indeed state that they want to wear a burqa. This is psychological damage to the women as a result of abusive behaviour.

Burqas cause extensive harm to the women brainwashed into wearing them and as a security threat harm our society.

15. joyboytoy79

Gold Member

Albums:
    The whole Sharia argument is only vaguely valid. The bible doesn't tell us to place crosses on the tops of churches, or to ring bells to call for mass, and yet those are very much a part of christian faiths. Religious traditions, separate from scriptural edicts, are still very much a part of the religion for those who follow. I'd still say the ban is anti-Islamic, because it removes a form of religious expression in public.

I wonder, really, do you support a ban on masks worn in public at Halloween? They can be used to equally dastardly ends. And I don't mean this question as a personal attack. I think a lot of people have an opinion on this one that comes from a place of misunderstanding. Apply it to something that you find culturally acceptable, and you may have a different opinion.

Devout people of all faiths consider themselves representatives of the faith. But, even said, by your definition a woman should be allowed to wear a burqa if she is employed by a mosque and they say her uniform is a burqa? Shall we next ban jump suits for all people unless they are employed as auto mechanics?

16. vince

Gold Member

Albums:
    I really dislike the headscarf and the burqa and what they represent politically. But who am I to tell someone else what to wear or how to express their opinions or beliefs or culture? It's none of my business what somebody else wears. They probably don't like my speedo either.

Turkey has been trying to ban or control what people put on their heads for years and guess what? It hasn't worked out so well. That which you ban, only radicalizes the people you seek to control.

17. B_mitchymo

B_mitchymo New Member

Hell yeah! Jump suits are ugly! J/K. I see what you mean, just makes the issue that little less straightforward.

18. B_ccc888

B_ccc888 New Member

If ISLAM or any other CULTS and FAITHS believe that OTHERS are

LESS EQUAL than their own because of their gender, sex orientation, creeds or sects

those religions and faiths SHOULD BE BANNED immediately...........

Humanity can't and shouldn't accomodate intolerance, ignorance, persecution, discrimination and apartheid policies and laws in the name of Allah, Jesus, Jehovah, Shiva or whatever.

19. TomCat84

Gold Member

Albums:
    Why would you be happy to see it banned? Are you mad that some people dress differently from you?

20. gymfresh

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo

This is why I've always thought there is little legal ground to stand on when people claim religious exemption for their dress. Is it fundamental to the faith? What is the source? The same could be said for the hassidim of Judaism... nowhere is it written that men must dress like 19th century Poles.

If heads should be covered, there is some stylin' headgear out there for both sexes, instead of drab kerchiefs (couvre-chefs) and skullcaps. And I never understood why Jewish boys insist on wearing kippahs under their Red Sox baseball caps -- it's like wearing 2 condoms.

I'm not in favor of covering faces for obvious ID purposes.

And is asking a nun to remove her wimple just a bad habit? :rolleyes:

Draft saved Draft deleted