bush and gays

KinkGuy

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
Huh?

(Washington) In a bid to recapture the middle ground from Democratic presidential candidate John Kerry, President Bush now says states can provide legal recognition to gay and lesbian couples with civil unions. But, he continues to call for an amendment to the US Constitution to bar gay marriage.

"That's up to states," Bush told CNN's Larry King Thursday night. "If they want to provide legal protections for gays, that's great. That's fine. But I do not want to change the definition of marriage. I don't think our country should."

When asked about federal benefits for same-sex couples Bush pointed to inheritance taxes which are lower for people who are married Bush said gays should support Republican moves to get rid of inheritance taxes altogether.
The president told King that gay couples should work with Congress not depend on 'activist judges'.

It is the first time that Bush has said he could support states enacting civil union legislation and the first time he has hinted he might support providing limited rights.

Bush's new 'kinder gentler' position comes as polls show the race is razor close, but Kerry with a slight lead.

kenny:
Originally posted by KinkGuy@Aug 15 2004, 04:13 AM
The president told King that gay couples should work with Congress not depend on 'activist judges'.
he is such an arse it makes everyone around the world cry.

ponybilt

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
80% Gay, 20% Straight
Originally posted by KinkGuy@Aug 15 2004, 04:13 AM
... The president told King that gay couples should work with Congress not depend on 'activist judges'...
What a fuck.

I personally don't know of any gay men or lesbians who rely on 'activist' judges for anything.

Oh, and this is supoosed to be a democratic republic, one in which the Supreme Court has said many times in issues of civil rights that it is the responsiblity of the majority to protect the minority. I shouldn't have to work with congress to obtain my basic rights.

ponybilt

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
80% Gay, 20% Straight
Originally posted by mindseye@Aug 15 2004, 03:11 PM
Would those be the same activist judges Bush depended on in 2000?
Yes, they would be the same, Mindseye.

Currently, GOP lawmakers demand that the Democratic-controlled Senate, which must confirm judges before they can receive lifetime appointments, quickly approve Bush's nominees. But the same body of conservatives stalled whenever Clinton nominated judges for appointment.

The combination of eight years of Ronald Reagan (with George HW Bush as VP) and then four years of George HW Bush has drastically altered the makeup of the federal judiciary (which is the second-most powerful judiciary group). By the time the shrub completes his term, all 13 of the federal appeals courts could be controlled by judges appointed from the Republican Party.

B_RoysToy

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
Pony -- you just cited one of the most serious reasons to keep the shrub from having another 4 years! This country (and the world) would suffer for years, even long after the shrub is dead, if Kerry isn't voted in. You and Obama are two of the most brilliant young men I know.

Luke

ponybilt

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
80% Gay, 20% Straight
Yeah, I consider it very serious stuff.

And thanks kindly, but in the same league as Barack Obama? I'm flattered but he's beyond my brilliance for certain.

:)

jonb

Sexy Member
Media
Well, it is a state issue. But so's gay marriage, yet he wants to pass a constitutional amendment.

Strange that he keeps bringing up the Paris Hilton tax: It only applied to millionaires. And as far as 'activist judges' go, all I can say is physician, heal thyself.

pinky

Sexy Member
Media
You know all I've ever thought was that G. Bush needed a good fuck up the ass! Maybe if it were hard enough it would knock the shit out between his ears.

mindseye

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
Originally posted by pinky@Sep 7 2004, 04:13 PM
You know all I've ever thought was that G. Bush needed a good fuck up the ass! Maybe if it were hard enough it would knock the shit out between his ears.
Perhaps it's already happened.

Indymedia suggests that the president may have 'experimented' while in college with his then-roommate Victor Ashe. (I've seen this story reported elsewhere as well, but I'd love some stronger proof.)

714goodguy

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
Mindseye: Thanks for the link to the article on President Bush's male-male experimentation. However, I started to read it and I literally got sick to my stomach. I hate that man so much that I can't even read an article in which 1) his sexuality is involved, and 2) he and I share something in common (i.e., liking men). Yuck! :(

KinkGuy

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
Always figured something kinky (and probably way fun) was going on in the secret house of Skull and Bones. But butt fucking gw.....ack. If it turned out that the shrub was gay (God forbid)...I'm turning in my membership card and going straight. :ph34r:

jonb

Sexy Member
Media
Sez Jerry Falwell: "Told you it was a choice"

Seriously, there's good news for members in Washington: The court's ruled state law forbidding same sex marriage unconstitutional.