Bush can do without THIS kind of support...

rawbone8

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
NWAnews.com :: Northwest Arkansas' News Source

Republican Party of Arkansas has a new chairman Dennis Milligan.

He said he’s “150 percent” behind Bush on the war in Iraq.

“At the end of the day, I believe fully the president is doing the right thing, and I think all we need is some attacks on American soil like we had on [Sept. 11, 2001], and the naysayers will come around very quickly to appreciate not only the commitment for President Bush, but the sacrifice that has been made by men and women to protect this country,” Milligan said.

Memo to FEMA: fast track orthopedic surgeons to Arkansas to get that foot out of his fucking mouth. :eek:

Blocko

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Well, given Bush is president anyway, I would say foot and mouth hasn't shown to be a great political impediment. :18:

katsboy

Just Browsing
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Maybe is head is up his backside Blocko, making it more difficult for you to understand him. Would it be easier for you to understand PM Howard? One of the best ways to ensure your criticisms of our President go ignored would be to pay attention to the style as opposed to the substance. Other than that I agree with everything else you've said:smile:

rawbone8

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
Mangled syntax is not the same thing as foot-in-mouth disease.

Righto. That's a more accurate description of his problem than my quip. Still, I wonder if his team will get him a communications coach. I can't see him lasting long if this is representative of his speaking style.

I have no doubt that the government will plan and execute another attack on american soil.

Really? I can't take that position seriously at all.

Some left wing blogs have jumped all over this state GOP chairman's statement and are spinning it grotesquely. I don't think he intended his statement to mean that he can't wait for a new attack to vindicate President Bush and make the president's political opponents look bad, but it can certainly be interpreted that way.

He speaks like a stereotypical sports jock, and I think that is his main problem. Hyperbole taken literally usually sounds ridiculous. He got elected chairman without any opposition, and is obviously pretty green about speaking to the press.

B_big dirigible

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Righto. That's a more accurate description of his problem than my quip.
No, you're right, Milligan's basic problem in that quote is a whiff of foot-in-mouth. It was a fairly innocent statement which, as you correctly note, can be taken the wrong way by those who wish to do so.

I was pointing out that Bush's problem, in contrast, is mangled syntax, not foot-in-mouth.

Blocko

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
The head being up the backside is a qualitative assessment of substance. In this case it is the hubris involved in the statement, the subtextual arrogance being that people will change their convictions to match the speaker's own (the speaker's own being absolutely right in his own mind). This was not in direct reference to Bush, but to the quote of the OP made the thread about.

But when the substance is as lacking as it is when Bush speaks, then style is all you have to go on. Bush, for all his faux-paus, never actually says much of substance. He certainly voices very little in the way of policy debate.

PM Howard on the other hand is very vocal and articulate when it comes to policy debate. Of course, that doesn't mean he's not a horrible person to lead the country.

Maybe is head is up his backside Blocko, making it more difficult for you to understand him. Would it be easier for you to understand PM Howard? One of the best ways to ensure your criticisms of our President go ignored would be to pay attention to the style as opposed to the substance. Other than that I agree with everything else you've said:smile:

Rikter8

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
I have no doubt that the government will plan and execute another attack on american soil.

Exactly, they need another diversion to attack a country that doesn't want democracy, but has a valuable resource that they can lign their pockets with at the disposal of american lives.

Freddie53

Superior Member
Gold
Media
Being from Arkansas, I relish in the GOP electing this fundie right wing inexpereinced chairman. As the article points out the GOP in Arkansas is already almost non existent. Arkansas is close to becoming a one party state, Democratic. The Democratic party in Arkansas has wisely stayed in the moderate middle instead of going to left wing which is wise in a Southern state.

This choice insures that the GOP in Arkansas will continue slipping further and further to the right and irrelevent to state politics. One hundred and two out of one hundred thirty five seats in both houses of the legislature isn't bad for a Democratic Party in the South.

Most of what little GOP strength there is is in north west Arkansas which is a hotbed of fanatical right wing fundamentalism, very much different from the populist rest of the state.

Arkansas has for a small state several very prominent multi billionaires such as the Waltons (Wal Mart) and a branch of the Rockefeller family. The people of Arkansas don't relate to this group which happens to be Republican.

And from where I live whoever is the Republican presidential nominee doesn't stand a chance in hell in Arkanasas.

Blocko

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
No, you're just an insipid prude that can't handle a joke. Believe it not, "head up his backside" is a colloquialism used in Australia that means "full of his own hubris".

That's right, you obviously don't know everything.

No, it's childish drivel, automatically rendering the remainder of the post negligible.

If you have a real point to make, make it, and be prepared to defend it.

B_big dirigible

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
No, you're just an insipid prude that can't handle a joke. Believe it not, "head up his backside" is a colloquialism used in Australia that means "full of his own hubris".

That's right, you obviously don't know everything.
Ah, perhaps in Australia you also know what an ad hominem attack is. And maybe you also know how feeble it makes you look. Just another n00b who's trying to make a reputation with a big mouth. BOR-ing.

Why should I not believe your definition? It's much the same round these parts as well. That's why it's recognizable as trite rubbish. If that's your idea of a joke, kindly spare us. Farting loudly in public is regarded by some as the height of humor, but they're wrong, too.

B_HappyHammer1977

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
NWAnews.com :: Northwest Arkansas' News Source

Republican Party of Arkansas has a new chairman Dennis Milligan.

He said he’s “150 percent” behind Bush on the war in Iraq.

“At the end of the day, I believe fully the president is doing the right thing, and I think all we need is some attacks on American soil like we had on [Sept. 11, 2001], and the naysayers will come around very quickly to appreciate not only the commitment for President Bush, but the sacrifice that has been made by men and women to protect this country,” Milligan said.

Memo to FEMA: fast track orthopedic surgeons to Arkansas to get that foot out of his fucking mouth. :eek:

What a tit.

Blocko

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Oh, because discounting an argument because I said "backside" is an entirely reasonable and rational course of argument. You explicitly did this, on the public record.

The thing is, I can't decide if it's ad hominem circumstantiae or ad hominem tu quoque. That is, were you directing an attack at my use of a colloqualism (i.e. related to my circumstance), or were you directing an attack by characterising me as similar to the people I was making a point about in the first place.

But to be fair, if you want to make a personal value judgement (as an absolute) on what I say, as if it were fact, then your values are open to attack. Unless you are suddenly the god like authority and every little value judgement you make is an absolute truth.

But I will point out that in the first paragraph of response I count six ad hominem attacks. It must make you feel really proud to respond to someone by calling them a "n00b". I could go through and count the number of summary value judgements and ad hominem verbal bowel relaxations you've made in your previous postings, but that wouldn't be fair, would it?

In short, take your value judgements and store them some place for your own private consumption, instead of catechising in your conservative cant to people who JUST DON'T CARE.

Ah, perhaps in Australia you also know what an ad hominem attack is. And maybe you also know how feeble it makes you look. Just another n00b who's trying to make a reputation with a big mouth. BOR-ing.

Why should I not believe your definition? It's much the same round these parts as well. That's why it's recognizable as trite rubbish. If that's your idea of a joke, kindly spare us. Farting loudly in public is regarded by some as the height of humor, but they're wrong, too.