Bush cxls Swiss visit

Discussion in 'Politics' started by arkfarmbear, Feb 5, 2011.

1. arkfarmbear

arkfarmbear New Member

Newsmax.com reports that Bush's planned trip to Switzerland was canceled because the Swiss don't want to get mired into the controversy surrounding his recent acknowledgement that he approved using water board torture during his reign.
    There are warrants out for his arrest, therefore he can't travel outside the United States without risk of being locked up!

2. eurotop40

Gold Member

I think this is what this corrupt and illiterate tyrant deserves.

3. B_VinylBoy

B_VinylBoy New Member

This doesn't surprise me in the least. Regardless of the situation and how one tries to have laws rewritten to make some shady actions look legal, everyone knows torture is wrong and goes completely against the Geneva Conventions. That's not something to play with, especially if you plan to have relations with people outside of your own country.

4. SilverTrain

Gold Member

Albums:
    Of all the criticisms directed at George W. Bush, and his tenure as President, this one may have the most longstanding international legs. While it was happening, there was much outcry in the US (as I'm sure there was abroad), and the criticism was summarily dismissed by his defenders with retorts that mostly ran along the lines of "Un-American/Liberal/Pansies".

In much the same way as his administration's flagrant flouting of Habeas Corpus, and the blatantly un-Constitutional invasions of privacy, this episode was horrifying to me. I can't say I feel much sympathy for any backlash he faces as a result of his actions.

5. arkfarmbear

arkfarmbear New Member

Just think of what it is costing him financially. He is being deprived of the millions he could earn on the foreign lecture circuit. That is one tiny consolation.

6. houtx48

Gold Member

Can't think of anyone that would pay him to speak other than the nut case right in this country. While on the subject did'nt Rumey Rumsfeld cancel trip to England for the same reason?

7. midlifebear

Gold Member

I totally agree, and would add that Cheney, et al be treated the same by the International Community. I can't think of anything more just than seeing Bush detained and arrested for war crimes. Even if none of them are actually convicted, it would call attention to the fact that the USA's foreign policy under Bush was so out-of-line with the tradition of personal freedoms in the USA that sitting and future Presidents would be required to dial it back to a time when we were a country of laws protecting individual freedoms and rights, not just in the USA but around the world.

Talk to any Chilean, Argentine, Indigenous Bolivian, Brazilian or Ecuadorian with an education and they consistently point out how two-faced the USA has historically been regarding personal freedom in the USA and disregarding those same personal freedoms in foreign countries where we've not been invited.

But unfortunately, currently the majority of US citizens haven't the requisite world view and education to understand how bad the situation has become. We've been dumbed down to just a country of jingoists specializing in the service industries. Anyone want fries with that?

8. cruztbone

Gold Member

Thank you, Switzerland, for pointing out the obvious: W is a greedy, slimy, moral free ex monarch of the US who does not deserve the right to make money from his endless evils. but i hear THE HAGUE and the international court of justice is interested! i will donate towards a plane trip to send him there!!! Georgie would look so cute in wooden shoes and a Dutch jumpsuit; that would probably get him on the Fashion channel.

9. arkfarmbear

arkfarmbear New Member

I think you are correct. Of course Cheney can't travel because of his medical condition, at least according to him.

If you want to know what other countries think about us all you have to do is go to their daily newspaper's website. If it is in a foreign language hit the translate button and it will be converted into english.

Draft saved Draft deleted