Bush or pubic hair shaming: is it shaved or trimed pubes the new norm?

JayPR

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
When did body hair became disgusting? Why it is expected to shave or trim your pubes?

I hit puberty in the 90s, and I still remember that seeing your first pubes was received with pride, like you're a grown up man now. Even when I got to college in the late 90s early 2000s, natural bushes were the norm in the locker rooms. No one would think of it as disgusting, even girls. It was just how things were. Actually, unless you were extremely hairy, body hair was seen as something sexy and masculine.

But somehow, that started to change with the manscaping trend, and now seems like if you keep it natural, you are perceived as an alien or someone who just came from the stone age, and people expect you to trim that "jungle" down there because is wrong.

What are your thoughts about it?

I feel the opposite. It’s more acceptable now to be hairy than it was previously. I think this has come with the acceptance of bearded faces.

Manscaping is more down to personal taste than anything else. Some people like to be completely shaved, some people trim, some people have a full on bush and some people have naturally less hair down there. How I do mine depends on my mood.

Reactions: MsterPete3

Infernal

Superior Member
Media
Phoenix, Arizona, United States of America
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
I think it comes and goes in cycles. I went through puberty in the early 80's. Men were built, and hairy, but then the twinks came along and for a while everyone was waxed, shaved, or plucked. Crotches were hairy, but the rest of the bodies were smooth. Then crotches were bare and smooth. Some were fully shaved (optical inch and all that) and some were trimmed. Now there's a bit of everything. Muscular guys that are hairy all over, muscular guys that are hairless or trimmed. Twink boys that are totally smooth and some with a hairy hole and crotch. As for myself, I trim it. I hate to shave in general, so doing it less it always a plus for me. The older I get, the straighter my hair gets. Long straight public hair just looks ridiculous on me.

I think it comes and goes in cycles. I went through puberty in the early 80's. Men were built, and hairy, but then the twinks came along and for a while everyone was waxed, shaved, or plucked. Crotches were hairy, but the rest of the bodies were smooth. Then crotches were bare and smooth. Some were fully shaved (optical inch and all that) and some were trimmed. Now there's a bit of everything. Muscular guys that are hairy all over, muscular guys that are hairless or trimmed. Twink boys that are totally smooth and some with a hairy hole and crotch. As for myself, I trim it. I hate to shave in general, so doing it less it always a plus for me. The older I get, the straighter my hair gets. Long straight public hair just looks ridiculous on me.
And very nice it looks

TexanStar

Worshipped Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
But somehow, that started to change with the manscaping trend, and now seems like if you keep it natural, you are perceived as an alien or someone who just came from the stone age, and people expect you to trim that "jungle" down there because is wrong.

I've never shaved, nor even trimmed downstairs and have received 0 suggestions to do so from any of the women I've been in an intimate relationship with.

On the flip side, I have in the past asked my wife if she would prefer it if I trimmed and she said no, she likes it natural / bushy.

Brian S

Worshipped Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
I've always preferred a more natural look, both on myself and on other men. I do understand trimming it back just a bit to tame the foliage, which is what I generally do. It still looks natural but isn't rampant. I don't mind when guys trim it lower, but personally I don't like landing strips or sculpted pubes. Or shaved bald. I've seen some guys shave a swath around their dick, which I think is odd personally. Like there's hair higher up and around it, but just not for three inches around the base of the dick. I'd rather a guy go full bald down there than that! LOL Personally, speaking, again.

It seems to me, judging mostly with pics and my firsthand knowledge of guys, that gay guys are trending towards leaving more hair while the straight boys are the ones sculpting it and shaving it bald. At least it seems to be the trend; I could be wrong. I also was in high school in the 90's, (18+) like someone said above, and nobody trimmed whatsoever. Nobody I knew trimmed for years after that either.

Reactions: JayPR

jjsjr

Legendary Member
Gold
Platinum Gold
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
I'm trying this "new thing" where I'm not shaving or trimming anything shoulders down. I want to see my body 100% in its natural state. I'm at the stage where I would have trimmed like a week ago or more. Its' been a weird challenge to really embrace my body fully for what it is.

ItsAll4Kim

Worshipped Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
I'm a nudist and see lots of naked folks. There seems to be a tiny segment of guys and women who aren't shaving pubes, and this started maybe three or four years ago. Prior to that it was all shaved all the time. Except my wife, who has nearly always only shaved the area immediately around her lips, and has left her thick dark bush natural. Last spring she shaved it all, then let it grow back. The change was interesting but I definitely prefer her with hair. I've always kept my genitals shaved and left the pubic/abdomen trimmed neatly. She prefers this and so do I.

Reactions: Brian S

aliuel

Superior Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
I'm a nudist and see lots of naked folks. There seems to be a tiny segment of guys and women who aren't shaving pubes, and this started maybe three or four years ago. Prior to that it was all shaved all the time. Except my wife, who has nearly always only shaved the area immediately around her lips, and has left her thick dark bush natural. Last spring she shaved it all, then let it grow back. The change was interesting but I definitely prefer her with hair. I've always kept my genitals shaved and left the pubic/abdomen trimmed neatly. She prefers this and so do I.

I really don't understand why shaving everything is so prevalent amongst nudists. I've only occasionally visited nude beaches, the last time about 5 years ago, and I seemed to be the only guy there with a full bush, hairy chest etc. I'm sure this wasn't the case in the 80s/90s. However in the locker rooms, untrimmed is still relatively common.

Reactions: Brian S

ItsAll4Kim

Worshipped Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
I really don't understand why shaving everything is so prevalent amongst nudists. I've only occasionally visited nude beaches, the last time about 5 years ago, and I seemed to be the only guy there with a full bush, hairy chest etc. I'm sure this wasn't the case in the 80s/90s. However in the locker rooms, untrimmed is still relatively common.
As a rule nudists don't comment on each other's bodies, so it's not as if there's peer pressure. But from the late 80's on, shaving steadily grew in popularity. It seems to have peaked and is now on a very slow decline.

Reactions: JayPR and Brian S

Brian S

Worshipped Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
I forgot to add this before, and just wanted to throw this out there: I'm a big proponent for doing whatever looks good on you. I think of it like the hair on your head. (Your other head.) Some guys' bodies/genitals just aren't built for going full bald, while others look okay that way. Some guys can have a full bush while some others could maybe trim it a bit. I really think it's all about finding what looks/feels the best for you and your body.

Reactions: JayPR

hairyforhairy

Admired Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
Unless a man is planning on getting a sex change, he should NEVER even trim his pubes, let alone shave them. A real man is supposed to have a full thick bush so thick that it grows on out onto the legs, hairy balls, and even tiny hairs on the actual shaft. The hairier, the better.

Reactions: pureblisss

simbablk

Superior Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I think currently it's all about personal preference. I prefer to keep my cock hairy. While I wish it were bushier or the curls not so tight, I like how I look hairy vs shaved. But again, that's personal preference.

Hatt_101

Superior Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
With regards to the title yes I do think that is the norm now. But I don't think there is any shaming going on

I personally hate body hair on myself. Luckily I don't grow do much but I keep trimmed. also I prefer that the women I'm with are trimmed and neat so I keep myself in the same standard that I would like relative to how women keep their pubes.

I hit puberty in the early to mid 2000s and getting body hair was not a big event no body cared or kept track of that sort of thing.

Growing body hair was never a mark of being a Man where I live. One reason being we have a large population of brown/east Asian people in my area of the GTA and many of them grow body hair at a very early age and it was just expected, so having facial hair or body hair was never a big accomplishment.
When did body hair became disgusting? Why it is expected to shave or trim your pubes?

I hit puberty in the 90s, and I still remember that seeing your first pubes was received with pride, like you're a grown up man now. Even when I got to college in the late 90s early 2000s, natural bushes were the norm in the locker rooms. No one would think of it as disgusting, even girls. It was just how things were. Actually, unless you were extremely hairy, body hair was seen as something sexy and masculine.

Last edited:

ItsAll4Kim

Worshipped Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Unless a man is planning on getting a sex change, he should NEVER even trim his pubes, let alone shave them. A real man is supposed to have a full thick bush so thick that it grows on out onto the legs, hairy balls, and even tiny hairs on the actual shaft. The hairier, the better.
Why?

I don't see any reason anyone should feel pressured to groom a certain way.

Reactions: Hatt_101 and JayPR