Bush Security Clearance Policy: Gay = Security Risk?

Discussion in 'Et Cetera, Et Cetera' started by rawbone8, Mar 15, 2006.

1. rawbone8

Gold Member

Albums:
    http://www.salon.com/politics/war_room/

There is a very brief ad to view for a free day pass to this site's content.

Forget the leakers, let's crack down on the gays

Security clearances were very much in the news last year as Democrats tried, unsuccessfully, to get Karl Rove's revoked after it became clear that he had leaked Valerie Plame's identity to several reporters. But there was another security clearance story out there that didn't get so much attention: While the rest of us were worried about leaks from the White House, the White House was apparently worrying about the security risk posed by . . . homosexuals.

As the Associated Press reports, George W. Bush signed off in December on language changes in the rules for security clearances that sure seem aimed at making it easier for the government to deny clearances to gay men and lesbians. The old rules said that sexual orientation "may not be used as a basis for or a disqualifying factor in determining a person's eligibility for a security clearance." Under the new rules, a security clearance cannot be denied "solely" on the basis of sexual orientation.
    A spokesman for the National Security Council tells the AP that the language change "was not intended to alter the way sexual orientation is treated." But if that's the case, why was the language changed? If the White House has an answer for that question, it's not in the AP report.

Gay advocacy groups apparently discovered the language change in a document distributed on Dec. 29, without any public fanfare, by National Security Advisor Stephen Hadley. So far as we know, Hadley isn't gay -- he's married with two kids -- but maybe he shouldn't have a security clearance anyway; it has been suggested that Hadley was the administration official who leaked Valerie Plame's identity to Bob Woodward and Robert Novak.

Why am I not surprised.

2. D_Barbi_Queue

D_Barbi_Queue Account Disabled

that's just asinine! What will they think of next?

3. Chuck64

Gold Member

Mass Euthanasia

4. madame_zora

Gold Member

Well, like I've been saying for the last several years, these are the most selfish, self-centered, self-legislating bunch of pricks even our already faltering government has ever seen. The ONLY ways you could honestly believe this administration is not out to revoke or diminish your civil liberties is if you're either a) functionally retarded, or b) a member of the very small group of people who's beliefs are being made law. If you're a member of the second group and you think it's alright to erradicate the rights of everyone else, may you fuck off and die.

5. B_Stronzo

B_Stronzo New Member

rawbone?

Thanks for bringing things to general board attention.

Even in the oh-so-liberal Commonwealth of Massachusetts I've been called a reactionary for my latent paranoia regarding my tentative status as a gay American (whatever that is).

No less a source than my own boyfriend tells me "oh it's just a phase" and recently I recall one poster going on about how the next generation will be even less homophobic.

For all the obvious reasons and the more subtle (to which you so generously refer) I remain ever the skeptic and all told I'd like to haul my homosexual carcass to Europe for good post haste. Trouble is that's letting the bastards win.

In the truest sense of the adage:

"The inmates are in charge of the asylum"

6. B_Stronzo

B_Stronzo New Member

May I kindly second that!

7. rawbone8

Gold Member

Albums:
    I thought that in the "old days" closeted homosexuals in security levels of government (meaning almost all gays were closeted prior to the most recent 30-40 years) were considered as at risk of intimidation from blackmailers threatening to expose their secret life, and at that time there was definitely no protection against job loss if scandal were to "damage" their social standing. Therefore spies or enemies of the state might have had leverage (by threatening to expose them) to induce them to release classified information to protect their reputation. At least that was the general excuse.

Promiscuous married heterosexual men (or straights who were drug addicts, gamblers with debts etc.) who had a public reputation to protect and were similarly at risk for blackmail or intimidation were considered a risk, but the social stigma was not considered as damaging and destructive (yes, double standard). So they had a lower threshold to get cleared for security. Women would be in a different category than men, if they were indeed at a high level of clearance.

Clearly, openly gay men and women no longer present that specious "risk" any longer. They have nothing to lose, for they are "out".

Hypothetically, closeted straights, or anybody who has a deep secret they would do anything to protect, might still fit the criteria of "risky" and be prone to intimidation though blackmail. The military's "Don't ask. Don't tell" policy forces men and women to be closeted in order to pursue a career — so is this directed at them?

Or is it that homosexuals just aren't considered to be dependably loyal to the current party in power? Is this just blatant discrimination?

8. Matthew

Gold Member

It's a FIXATION

9. Dr Rock

Gold Member

who lives in the east 'neath the willow tree? Sex
    historians of the future will describe the 2000 election as the worst thing to happen in america since 1929

10. ChuckRich

ChuckRich New Member

I vote for the last option.

11. B_Stronzo

B_Stronzo New Member

Rock?

I have ultra conservative cousins (it turns out) who visit each year from Michigan. I like them immensely and they take a cottage at Nauset every September for the full month just so they can "visit our Yankee cousin". They're the generation of my parents but I have so so much in common with them from a social standpoint.

They're also reasonable and educated people and I care deeply for how they think and feel both as relatives and friends.

Over lunch last fall I made the mistake of blurting out some blanket condemnation Bush comment. They went dead silent. And my cousin (after a pregnant pause) said one thing: "I think you'll find history will record George Walker Bush as one of this country's great presidents".

So there it is. That undefinable thing that inspires seemingly intelligent people to lose all semblance of reason when it comes to that fear monger. Never have I seen an individual have that same capacity at polarizing Americans. Never. Where I find bumbling ineptness other find reassurance and solace.

So, I agree with you Dr. Rock.

History will record the election year 2000 as the worse thing since 1929. But I suspect neither of us will live to see it.

12. rawbone8

Gold Member

Albums:
    Bin Laden's attack on the US is what kept Bush in the presidency and enabled his crew to enact their revolutionary agenda unopposed. That is the real mortal wound — a second term. We owe Bush's kakistocracy to the fear wreaked by Bin Laden. I hope your constitution survives, and saves your country's ass. He's driving an empire on the brink.

13. dolf250

dolf250 New Member

The legislation introduced shortly after 9/11 in Canada was not much better. It was just debated less and reported on less, and therefore is not as well known or feared. I know we are supposed to be the tolerant country where the state stays out of our bedrooms, but the legislation that was passed leaves us with precious little privacy.

14. rawbone8

Gold Member

Albums:
    So much accomodation is made for security sharing with other allies under the guise of upping security. Our government caved to American pressure in order to keep the borders open to trade. I suspect shockingly enormous amounts of private data are made available to government agencies and corporations within and outside Canada.

15. Chuck64

Gold Member

Here's an interesting twist on all of this for you...

My best friend's little brother called me this afternoon for a reference so they could up his secuirty clearance. Evidently, I can't be trusted with the secrets myself, but I'm good enough to vouch for the character of a striaght guy.

16. D_Humper E Bogart

D_Humper E Bogart New Member

If it makes any gay men feel better. Bag yourself an FBI agent, that way they're out of a job!

17. Matthew

Gold Member

Mmmm. Fox Mulder.

18. Chuck64

Gold Member

I don't see David Duchovny and think "sexy." What is it about him that everyone gets so worked up about?

Draft saved Draft deleted