Bush snubs NAACP again.

mindseye

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
For the fourth year in a row, George W. Bush has declined to appear the NAACP annual convention in Philadelphia. This makes him the first president since Herbert Hoover* not to attend the convention at least once while in office. (By contrast, Clinton attended seven of his eight years in office, and the year he could not attend, he sent Vice-President Gore in his place.) Heck, even Rick Santorum is putting in an appearance!

The official reason that he would not attend was initially given as "scheduling conflicts" -- but it turns out that Bush will actually be in Pennsylvania during the six-day convention, including the last day of the convention, which is when he was invited to speak.

Later, White House spokesman Scott McClellan cited "hostile political rhetoric about the president" as the reason Bush is snubbing the convention again. In other words, thin-skinned Bush can't handle criticism. This, just days after skulking off stage after being questioned about Enron during a press conference.

Source: CNN News

*Bloomberg News claims you have to go all the way back to Warren Harding to find a president who did not attend. I have not found any proof that Hoover attended.

jonb

Sexy Member
Media
Yet another thing he has in common with Hoover. LOL But then again, in Bush's dream world, blacks don't vote anyway.

As for Bush's skin, it's one cell thick. One very flat cell.

jay_too

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Originally posted by mindseye@Jul 10 2004, 08:45 PM

Later, White House spokesman Scott McClellan cited "hostile political rhetoric about the president" as the reason Bush is snubbing the convention again. In other words, thin-skinned Bush can't handle criticism. This, just days after skulking off stage after being questioned about Enron during a press conference.

Source: CNN News

*Bloomberg News claims you have to go all the way back to Warren Harding to find a president who did not attend. I have not found any proof that Hoover attended.
This is not surprising if all the articles in Newsweek and U.S. News on the long-term effects of substance abuse are on target. Prolonged substance abuse rewires the brain affecting things like reasoning, mental recall, and inability to accept criticism/control anger. Hmmmm....I wonder if.. :wacko:

Mindeye, BTW in Jersey, the order of Presidents is Wilson, Harding, Coolidge, Hoover, FDR...

jay

madame_zora

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Jay_too, I happen to know a lot about the effects of long term substance abuse first hand, as I am a recovering alcoholic myself, and you are right on the money. I have never read anything about Bush that led me to believe he ever admitted he had a problem or sought any kind of counselling, so I doubt he has put much work into correcting his problems, which is a major reason I object to him being our nation's leader! I am now sober 11 years, and after intensive treatment and AA involvement, I started being capable of lucid thought after about five years! It took that long for the fog to begin to clear. His thin skin is obvious to anyone who knows much about substance abuse, and I am simply floored that the media has neglected to expose this obvious aspect of his character.

mindseye

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
Originally posted by jay_too@Jul 10 2004, 08:03 PM
Mindeye, BTW in Jersey, the order of Presidents is Wilson, Harding, Coolidge, Hoover, FDR...
Sorry that my caveat was unclear. CNN claimed you need to go back as far as Hoover; Bloomberg claimed you needed to go even further back, all the way to Harding. In order for Bloomberg to be shown correct, someone would have to document that Hoover attended an NAACP annual convention, and I couldn't quickly find such proof on Google.

SpeedoGuy

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
Originally posted by madame_zora@Jul 11 2004, 12:53 AM
I am now sober 11 years, and after intensive treatment and AA involvement, I started being capable of lucid thought after about five years!
Mme Z:

Good on ya for staying clean and sober. I watched my brother and cousins go through detox and...well...it ain't easy.

SG

jay_too

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Mme..

I guess moderates and liberals are more understanding and supportive of those dealing with substance abuse.

A part of the made for public consumption bio of Dubya is that he went cold turkey at 40 and found God and renounced drink and inhalant powders. During the 2000 election he did not want to discuss these personal issues because he had minor daughters. I wonder if he will now that they have turned 21 and will campaign for him. Maybe...maybe not.

Good for you, Mme. You definitely have a lot going for you...Beauty, nice bod, quick mind, and understanding.

jay

GottaBigOne

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
Madam, I don't know much about substance abuse recovery so answer me a probably stupdi question. After 11 long years do you still struggle with your addiction or has it basically gone away? I know that such an attitude as saying or acknowledging that it is "away" is probably dangerous and you shouldn't let your gaurd down but I wonder how long an chemical addiction can stay with you. I know that if you were to drink again it would probably be very bad, but thats not what I'm asking. I'm asking if you still have strong urges or urges at all.

Synergistic

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Straight, 10% Gay
Whats the point of him going, the only member of the NAACP who would vote for him anyway is Sean Hannity.

madame_zora

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
nlatimer, you're probably right! Why go where he's not wanted? lol

Gottabigone, I often hesitate to tell my story because it might be damaging to others who are struggling, but since this is not AA, here goes. I was graciously relieved of the compulsion to drink, all in one day. I do not have cravings, urges, etc. I sometimes have stray thoughts, but they are easily counter balanced by thinking of spending more time in jail! I am allergic to mushrooms, if I eat them I puke, I just look at alcohol the same way- if I drink, I go to institutions where they don't let me leave. Most people struggle much harder with sobriety, and I feel I've virtually been able to skate through it. I think the main reason why is the amount of damage it did to my life prior to getting to that point. I am an alcoholic forever, every day of my life, I never let that thought get far from my consciousness. Once I realized what the problem was and that there was a way out if I just didn't drink, that seemed like a no-brainer! Thanx for the words of encouragement, it's nice to hear.

Jay_too, I don't see Bush as a man who ever dealt in a realistic manner with his addiction. Those of us who have recognise each other pretty easily....he just doesn't have the look. I can only liken it to "gaydar"!!

mindseye

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
Originally posted by nlatimer@Jul 11 2004, 01:57 AM
Whats the point of him going, the only member of the NAACP who would vote for him anyway is Sean Hannity.
Nlatimer: Why attend? Because he took an oath of office that obligates him to protect the interests of all Americans, not just white America plus Sean Hannity. The NAACP is large, long-established, and well-respected. Their members have included Thurgood Marshall, Rosa Parks, Bill Cosby, W.E.B. DuBois, and Michael Jordan (and incidentally, myself).

By refusing their invitation on the grounds that they criticize him, he is placing his personal feelings above the dignity of his office.

jay_too

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
mindseye..

Do you really think Dubya has the intelligence and emotional maturity to understand the basic concept of representative democracy, constituency. Jeez Dude, it has more than three syllables.

jay

jay_too

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Tender..

The issue is not one of morality as you would frame it: substance abuse vs. adult consentual sex.

Perhaps, an issue on this thread is: Does someone who spent 25 years or more years abusing drugs and alcohol have the intellectual capacity and emotional maturity to perform in a high-pressure job?

The President's actions and statements regarding the NCAAP invitation indicate emotional immaturity. They are part of his constituency. Besides the oath of office, Bush promised to be one whose presidency unites America.

jay

mindseye

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
Originally posted by Tender@Jul 11 2004, 07:20 PM
By not attending, he has simply said, im busy, and there are lots of important issues to deal with.
No, no, NO. His spokesperson specifically said that Bush would not be attending because the NAACP was critical of his administration. Not that he was busy; and in fact, to drive home the point, Bush will be in Pennsylvania the day he was scheduled to speak, but not at the convention itself.