Bush Urges U.S. to See Progress in Iraq

Discussion in 'Et Cetera, Et Cetera' started by SR_search4bp, Mar 20, 2006.

1. SR_search4bp

SR_search4bp New Member

I L M A O

such a bullsh....................

who the heck should believe all that? :mad: only streamline republicans or the whole world?

are these guys really believing that they can sweep away all those killed people? probably progress means for them nothing else than a nice civil war over there?

grrrrr :confused:

2. D_Humper E Bogart

D_Humper E Bogart New Member

Well, our governments are making a good amount of money in rebuilding contracts. I'd bet a nickel to a dime they're not employing local Iraqis though.

3. SR_search4bp

SR_search4bp New Member

right and some are constantly over-filling their pockets...

what the heck do they want with all of your money? :confused:

4. Dr Rock

Gold Member

who lives in the east 'neath the willow tree? Sex
    well, we've blown up a lot of buildings. and rebuilt them. and blown them up again. that's progress for architecture!

5. EnglishGentleman

EnglishGentleman New Member

Albums:
    They should be grateful our guys are out there demolishing these 500 year old temples, and replacing them with pre-fabs and concrete. Heck if these guys won't do progress on their own it's our DUTY to make 'em. I know 'cos God told me so! Why do you think he made his son a carpenter?

6. B_Stronzo

B_Stronzo New Member

Nothing... nothing was more disturbing than watching Dick Cheney on "Face the Nation" yesterday morning as he justified everything done by the Bush administration. Bob Schieffer couldn't get a word in edgewise as the veep talked over everthing Mr. Schieffer asked.

RHETORIC!!!!!!!!!!!:rolleyes:

From the reaction to 9-11 to the validity of the War in Iraq the man was the biggest talking head I've ever had the displeasure to watch.

God save us from assholes with power.

7. Dr Rock

Gold Member

who lives in the east 'neath the willow tree? Sex
    ... and then demolishing those and replacing them with others. often 4 or 5 times in succession (so far).

8. Lex

Lex
    Gold Member

I ALWAYS know I'm winning a fight when, after whupping someone's ass SO badly, they continue to fight back to the point where I have to go try to whup their ass AGAIN.

eyeroll.

9. Fredneck1951

Fredneck1951 Member

Albums:
    The next time someone says "It's not about oil", ask them why the Iraqi National Museum was allowed to be looted, while the Oil Ministry was heavily guarded.

Still, looking at the pathetic turnouts of the "war protesters", I'd have to say BushCheney are getting their way and that will continue to be the reality.

10. RideRocket

Gold Member

If you look at recent intel reports, many of the initial reports concerning looting were exaggerated.

Besides, it's simply a matter of focusing on what's important to rebuilding a country. Items in a museum although nice to look at, do not contribute nearly as much as oil does to the economy of the country. In fact, oil is Iraq's economy depends on money from oil revenues.

Remember back to what Saddam did when forced out of Kuwait during the first Gulf War, he purposely destroyed and set fire to many oil wells. The anticipation was that he would attempt to do something similar.

11. EnglishGentleman

Albums:
    The very Identity of a country is defined by it's history and it's culture. Destroy that and no amount of oil money can EVER bring it back. What a shamefully "American" point of view. You come from a country made up of the bastardised remnants of Europeans and others who left for fortune seeking, or through their own religious intolerance. You have no history of your own to defend, only money. No wonder you cannot appreciate the destruction you wreak upon the dignity and beliefs of other nations if your view is obscured by dollar signs.

I don't wish to insult all the good people of America for the sins of their forefathers. Many of you are fine people. I refer above to the stereotype propagated by the monetaristic, disrespectful minority who perpetuate this pointless war, and run roughshod over cultures they do not understand.

12. B_Stronzo

B_Stronzo New Member

This, EG, is what some of my countrymen don't understand. But the American culture is largely a throw away one so it's no great surprise, for me, that so many consider Iraqis "towelheads" and their culture disposable. I said to more than one such American, "Do you realize that's the Fertile Crescent"?? Response - "What's that?"

In the very kindest way I can EG I want to tell you that we do have a 'history of our own'. It's just that very few value it. Here on the East Coast (an area of the nation widely maligned by the rest of the country as "elitist" and "too intellectual") many good people do not side with our government's slash and burn tactics. Please don't judge us too harshly just now. I promise you we will recover from this low point in our history and rally once again.

It's the sins of the present 'fathers' which are detestable. I suspect, should the Founding Fathers be aware of the present goings-on culturally and morally in this once great country, they're doing a collective tarantella in their graves.

Nor care to understand. That's the most sobering part.

God you've made me laugh!

My great grandmother (born in the UK) used to say something akin to "Ah yes the United States. It's made up of the sweepings of European kitchen floors"

You snobs :wink: ...

13. SpeedoGuy

Gold Member

Albums:
  14. EnglishGentleman

Albums:
    Stronzo, my good friend....

Do accept my apologies in one respect. America does indeed have a proud history, but one ignored by many of your own people and therefore not transmitted to the rest of the world via your prolific media output. I was quite shocked at the previous post I was commenting upon and forgot some of my usual decorum.

The short time that the US has had since colonisation and independence, not to mention what remains of the original native culture, has been very full and has helped define much of what has occurred in contemporary Europe.

My only fear is that a reputation and a history which has already been tarnished by Vietnam, Afghanistan and Kuwait will be forever stained by the Blight of George W Bush and his pathetic attempts at self aggrandisemant.

15. D_Herin_Ghan

D_Herin_Ghan Account Disabled

My cousin had a tour of duty in Iraq for over a year. Let me start out by saying that he is a Deaniac, and is completely against this war, and the administration.

He said its very easy to see the progress being made.

He has also said that a minority(slim one at that) is holding up the complee reconstruction of this country.

There are still neighborhoods that very few/no one would venture into...these are typically Sunni strongholds. They also seem to have calmed down a bit in the Muqtada Al Sadr camp for a bit. He said you can actually drive there with a hummer now, and only be shot at by small arms. No more RPG'S (don't know if thats considered progress).

I've made it plain as day that I'm a civil libertarian, however I feel that many views expressed here are byproducts of news with an agenda. Lets face it, the news today in America is snimply the retelling of events and promotion of one type of belief. I oftentimes feel that the Reps/Dems are too focused on each other, rather than the whole picture of the war.

In short, don't believe the government, NEVER believe the mainstream media.

16. B_Stronzo

B_Stronzo New Member

:smile: Not to worry EG! No harm done.

I knew your intent and I loved how passionate you were. Never worry. I'm just a proud Bostonian and I'm ultra-sensitive for taking lots of negative crap lately for all the negative sentiments heaped upon us (we Massachusetts liberals) by the rest of the country.

Every point you make is valid.

17. EnglishGentleman

Albums:
    Well said Lion.

We can only hope the progress your cousin has reported becomes something tangible, whatever the administrations of our countries do.

18. rob_just_rob

Gold Member

I'd like to see progress, but I don't believe what anyone says about Iraq.

Say all you want about the "liberal media" - but all the images that come out of Iraq are heavily sanitized by the military. That's the one lesson learned from Vietnam, apparently. And we really have no idea what things are like in the areas with no occupation forces, because it isn't safe to visit them for any length of time.

The American government and military have the best information, but it's to their advantage to spin it in their favour. I don't believe the official casualty lists any more than I believe that only 3,000 people died in the WTC.

I'd like to believe that Iraq will turn into a thriving democracy. But there are too many forces at play in the country - Shiites, Sunnis, Al-Qaida, Iran, god knows who else - plus no democratic tradition, widespread poverty (much of which can probably be traced to the embargo), and a general religious antipathy to the conquero- sorry, liberators. This isn't Germany in 1945.

At best - at BEST - we'll wind up with a Saddamesque strongman. At worst, an Iran-Iraq radical islamist superstate with nukes, and a grudge.

19. hotnmpls2000@yahoo.com

Albums:
    America is tarnished by the liberation of Kuwait? Fuck you

We are tarnished by making an attempt at catching the motherfuckers who knocked down our buildings and killed our people? Fuck you.

I'll give you Vietnam, but the next time the Germans can fucking have you. The Russian's too.

20. Matthew

Gold Member

And from one American to another - fuck you. I hate your blind, arrogant nationalism. That kind of garbage makes a mockery of anything good that America could stand for.

Draft saved Draft deleted