Bushs Hometown Newspaper Endorses Kerry

Discussion in 'Et Cetera, Et Cetera' started by MisterMark, Sep 28, 2004.

1. MisterMark

Gold Member

Albums:
    From The Iconoclast newspaper of Crawford, Texas (they endorsed Bush in 2000):

Kerry Will Restore American Dignity

2004 Iconoclast Presidential Endorsement

Few Americans would have voted for George W. Bush four years ago if he had promised that, as President, he would:

• Empty the Social Security trust fund by $507 billion to help offset fiscal irresponsibility and at the same time slash Social Security benefits.
    • Cut Medicare by 17 percent and reduce veterans’ benefits and military pay.
    • Eliminate overtime pay for millions of Americans and raise oil prices by 50 percent.
    • Give tax cuts to businesses that sent American jobs overseas, and, in fact, by policy encourage their departure.
    • Give away billions of tax dollars in government contracts without competitive bids.
    • Involve this country in a deadly and highly questionable war, and
    • Take a budget surplus and turn it into the worst deficit in the history of the United States, creating a debt in just four years that will take generations to repay.

The complete editorial is at http://www.iconoclast-texas.com/Columns/Ed...editorial39.htm (the site might be down - they've been overwhelmed, as you can imagine!)

2. B_RoysToy

B_RoysToy New Member

Thanks for the info, Mark. I've always been anti bumper stickers and one has never been on my car before now. I sport a Kerry/Edwards now and to hell with my particular car bumper!

Luke

3. LuckyLuke

LuckyLuke New Member

Sweet!

And its nice to know that not all Texans are hard-core Republicans. There is hope afterall...

4. jdoe86

Gold Member

Albums:
    I think the big problem is the American public doesn't know which of the two evils they should choose.. The old evil or the new unknown evil.

5. LuckyLuke

LuckyLuke New Member

I'm no big fan of Kerry, but I must say that on the simple balance of probabilities, Kerry probably can't actually do worse than Bush as President. Bush has done such an incredibly poor job on almost every front, that just about anyone would be an improvement.

6. Pappy

Pappy Member

Watch out everybody, I actually agree with geo. This election comes down to the lesser of two evils. Bush has had his chance and he performed very, very poorly. I'm not saying that Kerry will do a better job, but he sure as hell can't do any worse.

BTW, Mark, thanks for the post and link, it was good reading. :)

7. MisterMark

Gold Member

Albums:
    Watch out everybody, I actually agree with geo. This election comes down to the lesser of two evils. Bush has had his chance and he performed very, very poorly. I'm not saying that Kerry will do a better job, but he sure as hell can't do any worse.

BTW, Mark, thanks for the post and link, it was good reading. :)
    [post=258005]Quoted post[/post]​
    [/b][/quote]

For many of us, it's not a choice of the lesser of two evils. John Kerry is so obviously the better choice in my opinion, there's no way I would label him "evil". How can anyone who has the potential to force Bush back to Crawford, Texas be labeled "evil"?

What's really funny to me is that mock analysis that was written before the debate wasn't as far from the truth as we might have imagined. :p

8. Pappy

Pappy Member

For many of us, it's not a choice of the lesser of two evils. John Kerry is so obviously the better choice in my opinion, there's no way I would label him "evil". How can anyone who has the potential to force Bush back to Crawford, Texas be labeled "evil"?

What's really funny to me is that mock analysis that was written before the debate wasn't as far from the truth as we might have imagined. :p
    [post=258031]Quoted post[/post]​
    [/b][/quote]

I didn't mean that in a literal sense. Senator Kerry very definitely has my vote.

9. B_RoysToy

B_RoysToy New Member

My ideal bumper sticker is the following:

SAVE LIVES . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . VOTE KERRY

10. madame_zora

Gold Member

Nice one, Roystoys. Print it up and we'll all sport it.

11. B_RoysToy

B_RoysToy New Member

Thanks, m_zora. I hope you're about back to normal after the storm (or storms). You're been in my prayers.

12. Imported

Gold Member

YoungNHung19: Well, here I am again, along here on the liberal bandwagon known as lpsg.org, defending my Commander in Chief from you left-wing nut cases. I am tired of all the lies about Bush. No wonder this country is going to sh*t. Let me address a couple of points to you, I don't have a lot of space to go into detail, so I will keep it brief. First, let me address Bush sending jobs overseas...let me tell you a little something about Mr. Teresa Heinz, AKA John Kerry. She has multiple business' overseas, multiple, how come she didn't stay in the US where tons of jobs could have been created. She is worth a billion dollars, has 5 mansions, a million dollar yacht, her own personal jet, among many others..Kerry is lucky, his first wife was only worth 300 million, so he is moving up in the world. It's a good thing he is for the common man. It's also a good thing that since the editor in charge of Bush's so called hometown newspaper is a Democrat and is obviously voting Kerry that the so called hometown newspaper (which it actually isn't) only circulates to 400 and something people. For you people that say he created a debt, it is illogical, and stupid. About half a year before he took office, wallstreet crashed like never before and a recession started, under Bill "The original draft dodger" Clinton's watch. History shows the economy goes through different stages, including recessions. Then the terrorist attack on 9/11 caused a major crash like we have never seen before. Many jobs lost, everything crashed, stopped. But Bush has still created nearly 2 million jobs in the past 13 months, home ownership is at an all time high, and the unemployment rate is lower than when Bill Clinton took office for his second term. Think about it, 5.4% unemployment rate is not high. I am running out of space unfortunately, but LuckyLuke you say Bush has done such a horrible job,..what has he done specifically that is so bad. Also what is so great about Kerry..I mean you don't just vote for someone because he is not Bush, that is the thinking of a 10 year old.
    Look at Kerry on the issues, and check out his record..I used to live in Massachusetts, where he has been a Senator for 20 years. I can tell you they don't call it "Taxachusetts" for nothing.

13. Imported

Gold Member

Javierdude22: It's burning on my lips so i'll just say it: Hey Gigz, where had ya been ?!

Wow...and the sad thing is, I really dont have any desire to respond to this level of stupidity.

You are a perfect example of the stupid things half the US STILL believes. As a European, concerned for the stability and safety of this world, that scares the shit outta me.

And the funny thing is, the US has this thing of waging war in other people's territories. Europe unfortunately is becoming an extemsion of that territory since we are getting the heat for what half of you numskull dumbasses have voted for.

In an attempt to be perfectly honest:

I really loved the US two years ago. I studied in SF, had the time of my life, and made the US the walhalla of coolness. At this point, I loathe it. I loathe its policies, its showcase elections, its racism, imperialism, and my God, its president.

The land of the free where anything is possible is really the land of the white-upperclass where really ANYTHING is possible, however in my view not meant positively.

In Europe, and maybe over there as well, the word is the US/days of being a superpower are over, or soon enough at least. Maybe thats a bad thing, well see, but right now, it seems we can use a new balance.

14. LuckyLuke

LuckyLuke New Member

1. The Medicare Bill. That bill (that is now LAW) is hideous and involves giving taxpayer money to large HMO's for being nice donors to the Republican Party. Less costs more. Taxpayers get screwed, seniors get nothing.

2. The hand-slap on Microsoft. The Justice Department spend years bringing a case against this monopolist based upon Microsoft's illegal trade practices. The incoming Bush Administration just practically dismissed the case. It is notable that Microsoft was a major donor to the Republican Party in the immediate preceding election cycle - spending unusually large amounts of money - obviously they wanted something and they got it.

3. New Bankruptcy Law. This bill (now LAW) is hideous and involves letting MasterCard and VISA re-write US legislation. It is noted that MasterCard and VISA actually were larger campaign donors than Microsoft.

4. The US deficit. Bush entered office with a balanced budget (thanks to the Clinton Administration) but Bushie fixed that - moved it over to the largest deficit in American history. In record time too. But Bush isn't satisfied having the largest deficit in American history - 2005 is projected to be even bigger because of all those 'deferred' costs shuffled off to make this deficit appear not-so-bad.

5. The present Bush administration has presided over the largest growth in 'discretionary' spending in recent history. We're talking 'pork-barrel' here.

6. Trashed, watered down or otherwise removed, countless environmental regulations. Took twenty years of fighting for "the people" to get these regulations, didn't take Bush more than a couple of weeks in office to wipe out a bunch of them.

7. Landmines and underaged soldiers. The USA (along with some really nasty regimes) refused to sign international agreements to these.

8. Bush's appointees to the various courts. The most basic survey of the qualifications of these judges indicates that "anti-abortion" seems to be their principal qualification for sitting on a bench under the Bush Administration.

9. US Patriot Act. A long list of activities that the FBI had been wanting for years and had been refused on every attempt was just pulled off the shelf on 9/12 and put into legislation. This Act really has nothing to do with fighting terrorism. This Act is 100% directed against servailance of US citizens. The legal tools of the Patriot Act have not yet been used in a single case of terrorism (Ashcroft's infamous 0-for-5000 batting average). However, the Patriot Act has been used to prosecute hundreds of cases of political protesters - people who have dared to protest the Iraq war or the Bush Administration.

10. Guantanamo Bay & Abu Griab. The attempt by the Bush Administration to 'excuse itself' from the Geneva Convention and the international prohibition against Torture is just plain disgusting.

Gosh, I haven't even gotten to the "No Child Left Behind" Act, or the Energy Bill or the proposed TORT reforms with its cap upon personal legal rights, etc., etc..

I don't want to bore anyone so I'll stop here with just some of the highlights. If anyone wants me to continue, I'll be happy to. I've tried to avoid listing any foreign policy actions because there are just too many to try listing even just highlights.

15. madame_zora

Gold Member

Oh please, Luckyluke, do continue. It's about time we dispell these ridiculous myths about the state of the nation. I can see why someone making 200k/yr would vote for bush, but anyone else has no bloomin' excuse.

16. jonb

Gold Member

Actually, those who think Hillary Clinton staged Ruby Ridge have reason.

17. Imported

Gold Member

YoungNHung19: Ha, you are wise to not discuss No Child Left Behind, because your candidate was before it before he was against it. I do not make $200,000 a year or more, so your little theory Madame is crap, with all due respect. Putting down a bunch of half-truths are ridiculous...the economy, come on ,...everyone knows Bush inherited a recession from Clinton. Look at the Stock Market, it started 6 months before Bsuh took office. Since this time home ownership is at an all time high, the unemployment rate is the lowest it has been in over 10 years, lower than when Billy Bob Clinton was going into his second term of office, the President has created almost 2 million jobs in 13 months...amazing. So to you liberals, I say name 3 things that John Kerry has done in the US Senate that have had a big impact on America in a positive way...think about it. Good luck, since he is for a lot of things before he goes against it.

18. madame_zora

Gold Member

First- you don't owe me any respect.

Second- I only said that anyone making under 200k/yr had no bloomin' excuse- not that they wouldn't DO it!! If you really believe that unemployment is the lowest it's been in 10 years, that goes a long way to explain your position, you probably believe in the Easter Bunny as well.

19. LuckyLuke

LuckyLuke New Member

I don't have "a candidate".

As for No Child Left Behind, such partisan crap interests me not. The fact of the matter is that this policy was a centerpiece of Bush-Cheney 2000 campaign and was announced to great fanfare. Bush refused to fund the program at all.

I suppose this is a good thing because a well-funded program here would only make the deficit worse and it's a poorly planned program anyway that would not achieve the desired results.

This line is getting tired. Recession come and go - that is a natural business cycle. The point is, so what? What has Bush has done about it besides make it worse?

<!--QuoteBegin-YoungNHung19
    @Oct 13 2004, 03:40 AM
    ... So to you liberals, I say name 3 things that John Kerry has done in the US Senate that have had a big impact on America in a positive way...think about it. [/quote]

And why should I bother doing your research for you? You&#39;ve pretty much ignored and dismissed the last request of yours that I followed up on.

20. jonb

Gold Member

I guess George Sr. inherited his recession from Reagan.

Draft saved Draft deleted