Business as usual for Blago.

Discussion in 'Politics' started by B_starinvestor, Dec 30, 2008.

1. B_starinvestor

B_starinvestor New Member

Dec. 30, 2008
    Embattled Illinois Gov. Rod Blagojevich plans to name Roland W. Burris, the former attorney general of Illinois, to fill the U.S. Senate seat formerly held by President-elect Barack Obama, a person familiar with the matter says.
    Gov. Blagojevich plans to make the announcement Tuesday afternoon. The choice is likely to face intense scrutiny because the governor faces federal corruption charges. ~WSJ

Damn, dude gotzes some balls and arrogance...:eek:

2. D_Tintagel_Demondong

He still has a civil responsibility, despite his obvious corruption. He's still a senator. How does this make him arrogant?

I don't like him, but there's nothing wrong with naming a candidate for the seat. As usual, you are inventing arguments just to take a jab at the Democrats. Why don't you wait until Blago's trial? I'm sure that you'll have plenty of fun watching him crash and burn. Good times.

3. faceking

faceking Well-Known Member

Albums:
    Corrected, so someone doesn't nail on some petty mis-step.

I think it's somewhat fair... it's someone who's political moral compass is very askew. So his clarity of civic decisions may fairly be brought under question. The only reason he is still governor, is the legal process is long and arduous.

4. B_starinvestor

I didn't mention Democrats; I listed Blago.

How would you like to be the candidate appointed by Blago? That would be quite a stigma to carry around on the Senate floor and for the rest of your political career, wouldn't you say? Further, the scrutiny that will be inherent with this appointment...background, relationships, affiliations, etc...the FBI will be so far up the guy's ass he'll walk funny for 5 years.

5. dong20

Gold Member

You write as if such things would be undesirable when appointing a Senator. If the appointee is subjected to deeper than usual scrutiny, how can that be to the detriment of those he or she will serve?

6. B_starinvestor

Because the existence or perception of a conflict of interest will always be present in voting matters and otherwise that involve that Senate seat...as long as the appointment came from Blago.

7. Notaguru2

Gold Member

The way I see it... he's doing the right thing by making sure the seat doesn't fall into GOP hands prematurely. Also, he is within his legal right to make such an appointment. Thirdly, he hasn't been convicted of anything. It was a smart move if you ask me.

8. Notaguru2

Gold Member

Well, he's going to have a chance to prove that he's worthy of the seat long before it gets challenged in 2 years. Go Dems!

9. B_starinvestor

Interesting that Blago appointed an African American. This will make it possibly more unpopular for Reid and the gang to push to overturn the appointment.

10. swordfishME

swordfishME Member

It appears that the Senate will refuse to seat Burris. I don't think the office of the Illinois Sec of State will certify this appt. BTW, this guy is an idiot for accepting the appointment.

11. swordfishME

swordfishME Member

Some Congressman was at the appt news confrence saying that he would take the cause to the congressional black cacus. If the cacus is smart they will refuse to get involved- they can really end up losing a lot in this mess.

12. dreamer20

Gold Member

Blagojevich is still governor because the incompetent investigators failed to ensnare him with a William Jefferson type sting operation. Had they done this his fate would have been sealed by the evidence of a bribery transaction.

I see no reason why it would be idiotic for Burris to accept the temporary appointment or why he should not be confirmed. For what reason would the Senate preclude this appointment?

Draft saved Draft deleted