Business Casual Attire

Discussion in 'Et Cetera, Et Cetera' started by Principessa, Aug 21, 2008.

1. Principessa

Gold Member

This thread was inspired by this one. It seems there is a lot of confusion amongst men and women about what constitutes appropriate or proper casual business attire lately. Perhaps I'm a prude but I think half of y'all are either crazy, stupid, or both.

The attached article is geared towards women, but there are a few key ideas which men should be able to use as well. I have taken the liberty of bolding these points.

Ladies: Unless you are a life guard, or your job involves pole dancing or being paid for sexual acts by the hour you MUST wear a bra that fits properly to your job every day. That's it. There is no room for discussion on this topic. Plunging necklines and nipples poking through are NEVER appropriate in a professional business or office setting.

I hate padded bras, but I wear them because otherwise my naturally large nipples will show. I don't just mean with t-shirts. If I wear an unlined, unpadded bra with a sweatshirt or shetland wool sweater you can see my nipples poking through even if I'm not cold. :redface: Therefore, I always wear a padded bra. It's the right thing to do.

Men: Y'all know I love a big dick; but work is not the place to be showing it off unless you are a lifeguard, gigolo, exotic dancer, or prostitute. Having been a lifeguard at a YMCA I can tell you most guys opted for the loose fit swim trunk or board short and never a Speedo. Then again that was the mid-90's and I was in NJ. :rolleyes:

Men, if you work in an office, school, university, or any other professional setting and you are well endowed it is NOT in your best interest to dress in a manner that lets everyone know you have a large penis. Going commando, in white linen pants, on casual Friday is a no-no! :rolleyes: :duh: Perhaps you are average in size but are a shower, the same rules apply. It behooves you to wear snugger fitting underwear and pants which are a looser fit. I know many of you don't like having the boys up close to you; but we are talking about work. If it were supposed to be fun, they'd call it the circus. :cool:

How to Master Business Casual:
    Do’s and don’ts for dressing down professionally

Getting to dress down for work is supposed to be a perk, but sometimes figuring out what safely falls within the guidelines of “business casual” feels more like a chore. Always ask for your company’s specific policy: Some garments (like cotton chinos and linen skirts) are universally acceptable under the dress code, while others (like jeans and open-toe shoes) are hit-and-miss. If your firm gives jeans the nod, fashion stylist Joseph Williamson says, “they should fit well and not be too low-cut or have holes in them. And they should be dressed up with a nice shirt or even a jacket.”

The prevailing rule of thumb for business casual is dressed-down professional wear, not a wardrobe free-for-all. “Do a gut check with yourself before you leave the house. Would you be comfortable wearing this in front of a client, or does it feel like it’s for friends? Save the extremes for the weekend,” advises Peri Hansen, a senior client partner at Korn/Ferry International, an executive-search firm in Los Angeles. (That includes flip-flops, spaghetti straps, message tees, and anything tight, short, or revealing. On the A-OK list: casual blazers, knit blouses, tailored Bermuda shorts, trousers, jumper-style dresses, and denim skirts, if not short or frayed.

“You never want to try to ‘get away’ with anything,” says Lizzie Post of the Emily Post Institute. When in doubt, says Kim Mains, manager of legal recruiting for Cozen O’Connor, a law firm in Philadelphia, “take cues from what your female colleagues are wearing — especially those women whom you admire. And remember that it’s always better to be overdressed than underdressed.” The big payoff for all this strategic censorship? When done right, business-casual attire can score you points with colleagues and higher-ups. Says Paul Howalt, the owner of Tactix Creative, a branding firm in Mesa, Arizona: “Just as long as it’s not sloppy, we encourage well-executed individuality.”

Written by Ingela Ratledge
    September 2008

#1 Principessa, Aug 21, 2008
    Last edited: Aug 21, 2008
  2. psidom

Gold Member

Albums:
    i used to wear scrubs everyday.
    i think they flatter my butt.:smile:

my girlfriend can never get an A-cup bra that is not padded
    to look like a B.

it is really really kind of insulting i think,
    we both hate it. lol

3. Principessa

Gold Member

I empathize with your gf. I was an A cup or AA cup well into my 30's. Bra manufacturers assume if you are small you want to be bigger. Most A Cups are not just padded but are designed to add an entire cup size. :eek:

They also tend to assume you only want bras in white, black, or beige. I can remember being positively jubilant when I found bras in my size in pretty colors and prints. Tell her to try Maidenform and Victoria's Secret. VS is expensive but they always have pretty bras in A and AA cup sizes.

4. D_Bob_Crotchitch

D_Bob_Crotchitch New Member

If a man has extremely large saggy testicles, should he wear a Playtex cross your heart to hold them up?

5. Domisoldo

Gold Member

Albums:
    The straps would get entangled. Unless you like ball torture, I do not recommend that solution.

I suggest simply wearing really cool underwear.

Remember to maintain them at a temperature below 10 degrees F.

6. D_Bob_Crotchitch

D_Bob_Crotchitch New Member

Not if you stick your legs through the straps like a jock.

7. Supersized

Supersized New Member

WOOOOah! Professor NJQT! Did someone buy you a membership to Forbes Magazine?!
    I'm just kidding. I agree with you. I know you are right! Today I saw one of my "look at me tenting in my cahcys" coworkers getting hit on by another guy. That is what showing off at work gets you. If that is what someone wants to happen, fine. IF not you need to be more honest with yourself.

8. whatireallywant

Gold Member

I've never had any problems with dressing appropriately for the job, except for ONE job that had a dress code that I found crazy! Women there were not allowed to wear dress pants UNLESS they wore a jacket with them! I had lots of dress pants, but no jackets. So I had to wear one of my few dresses every time I went to work. And this job was MINIMUM WAGE!!! :mad:

I wear padded bras all the time, not just for work. I even look for padded sports bras if I can find them for working out in. :eek: But that's because I'm really self conscious about how small I am. But it looks like I'm ok for work because no nipples are showing through!

Most jobs I've had have had similar dress codes - a type of business casual where you can wear jeans on Fridays. I've had a couple of jobs where you could just wear black or khaki pants/skirts and the company's shirt. I'm ok with that because the company provides the shirt, and I can use the black and khaki pants not just for that job (if it's a temp job), but for jobs I have after that as well.

9. invisibleman

Gold Member

You MUST wear a girdle, of course.
    You don't want those Silly Putty eggs loose bouncing around off the walls.

Draft saved Draft deleted