Business women

Discussion in 'Et Cetera, Et Cetera' started by tross87, Mar 3, 2011.

1. tross87

tross87 Member

In shows, movies, etc why are they always depicted as tall? I'm talking ones in executive positions, they always seem to be 5'7+ usually 5'8 I think. So usually as tall as most male casts when they wear heels, which is always lol. Women with any power in general fit this bill also. Is it because height is suppose to be attractive, I don't get it.
    Want too see some shorter girls in these roles.

2. Kotchanski

Staff Member Moderator Gold Member

Albums:
    Is 5'7/5'8 really all that tall?

I'm 5'9/5'10 depending on who does the measuring, and I can't say I've noticed being surrounded by shorter women...

Aside from Sigourney Weaver in Working Girl, I can't remember a single person as you describe, and in all fairness to Sigourney, she has been typecast to a degree because of her height. When you reach a certain height, I would imagine you'd become pretty limited in the roles you can take...

3. dtlol

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo
    most basic reason is because hight is meant to (stereotypically) represent dominance or power, they need to portray this as much as possible to indicate who this character is, it is possible to do this without height, but harder to convey.

4. Gillette

Gold Member

Albums:
    Average height for women in UK, USA & Canada is between 5'3" -5'4".

5. borntobeking

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo
    Absolutely correct. The same is true for men as well.

6. nudeyorker

Gold Member

I think the key word in the opening post is actors are often depicted as being tall.
    Natalie Wood 5"0"
    Ellen Page 5'1"
    Reese Witherspoon 5'1 1/2"
    Eva Longoria 5'2"
    Selma Hayek 5'2"
    Sarah Jessica Parker 5'3"
    Meryl Streep 5'6"
    Jane Russell 5'7"
    Katherine Hepburn 5'7"
    Audrey Hepburn 5'7"
    I consider a woman tall who is over 5'9"
    Daryl Hannah 5'10"
    Anjelica Huston 5'10"
    Lynn Redgrave 5'10"
    Joan Allen 5'10"
    Nicole Kidman 5'10 1/2"
    Mercedes Reuhl 5'11"
    Sigourney Weaver 5'11"

Much depends on height perception in film on how someone is costumed and how they are filmed.
    Height in the entertainment industry and in advertising is often perceived as power, status and intelligence.

Physical attractiveness - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    Height and erect posture
    Females' sexual attraction towards males is sometimes partly determined by the height of the man.[38] Height in men is associated with status or wealth in many cultures (in particular those where malnutrition is common),[39] which is beneficial to women romantically involved with them. As a corollary, shorter men may be viewed as less attractive, all other things being equal, for casual and intended long-term relationships. One study conducted of women's personal ads support the existence of this preference; the study found that in ads requesting height in a mate, 80 percent requested a height of 6 feet or taller.[39] However, this percentage was only of ads specifying height, and therefore possibly self-selected and/or biased by a third factor such as female height. Recent studies have shown that heterosexual women often prefer men taller than they are, rather than a man with above average height. While women usually desire men to be at least the same height as themselves or taller, several other factors also determine male attractiveness, and the male-taller norm is not universal.[40] Professor Adam Eyre-Walker, head of the Centre for the Study of Evolution, at the University of Sussex, has stated that there is, as yet, no evidence that these preferences are evolutionary preferences, as opposed to merely cultural preferences.[41]
    Additionally, women seem more receptive to an erect posture than men, though both prefer it as an element of beauty

#6 nudeyorker, Mar 3, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 3, 2011
  7. tross87

tross87 Member

I see, I guess a short person wouldn't convey that sort of 'power' now that I try and imagine it.

8. nudeyorker

Gold Member

I think you missed part of my point... I chose Natalie Wood because I never knew she was short until I saw her in person. She came off much taller and larger than life on screen. YouTube - Natalie Wood Tribute

Draft saved Draft deleted