B_Veronica_Divine

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
80% Straight, 20% Gay
These are some of the example used in the Daily Mail
http://img.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2007/11_02/047breast2_800x442.jpg

30G?!

It todays bra sizes possibly, but if that's the case bra sizes must have changed or measurements were wrong before.

Either way, breasts are not just getting bigger

Maybe I'm eyeballing it wrong, but all I see in those pictures is a shift in firmness, not size.

(edited to add:) mine are looking more like that grandmother's every day. *shudders* scary stuff.

SpoiledPrincess

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
In Britain when breast sizes are mentioned in a national newspaper M&S usually gets mentioned somewhere along the line, older women tend to shop at M&S, younger girls get their undies at anywhere from New Look to Next to Primark, so perhaps figures from those shops would say something different.

stamrod

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
It's not just breast sizes. People are getting bigger in general. I think it's just the better medicine, cleaner food, and better hygine in developed countries these days.

However, some body parts don't grow more from better medicine/diet, such as brain, heart, eye, etc. I'm not sure about sex organs, but I don't think they're changing as fast as height/weight. But then again, breasts aren't exactly reproductive organs.

Flashy

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
well, with britain alone, i think they have a much healthier perception of women's body images over there, if not by much, compared to us over in the States...

if you look at all the popular glamour models over there (who i love) , like Lucy Pinder, Michelle Marsh, Sophie Howard, Keely Hazell, etc. and the look who we have over here ( i couldn't even name one healthy, fuller figured-naturall busty model who is promoted over here) that is forced down our throats, i think it is very said.

the vast majority of men (IMO) prefer fuller figures then the "waif look"...

there is nothing wrong with women being slim, but the fashion industry is not geared towards men and what they find attractive, it is geared towards women and what they are told they should look like, by people who are not interested in their well-being, but in selling them expensive clothing that they "need to have"...etc...and that leads women who are thin in a healthy way (naturally) becoming less so, and bustier women feeling badly about themselves as well, when in fact most men prefer a a slim- to busty woman, but not the super thin-stick figures being promoted

it is rather sick.

BigBen

Superior Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Truth on that. I have bras that range throughout the alphabet and I barely feel comfortable saying I even have a consistent size. I have DDD's that are just as comfortable as an out-of-country H, and they're not more than a few inches in any dimension apart (in fact I think the DDD is actually a little larger in the cup...figure that out.))

Also let's not forget how sizes in dresses changed over the years. Women are not actually dramatically skinnier than they ever used to be, yet size '0' didn't used to exist. This may be nothing more than a shift like that.

Ms. Veronica is correct. That is what I am saying in that from manufacturer to manufacturer, the sizes vary. Not just the way they use cup size letters (e.g. one will call it a DDD, another has no DDD but uses F, and another has no DDD or F but uses EE), but how they are fitted. A 36H by one manufacturer may be closer to a 36J in another and a 34GG in another. It is so varied that women just have to try them on to get a good fit.
Also, the English, Aussie, French, Italian, German bra manufacturers all vary from each other and from the US. And to make matters more complicated...within the same manufacturer, a 36G in one bra is different than a 36G in another bra style!

LOL...and I want to thank all the wonderful and generous and loving busty women I have met in my life thus far...and will meat in the future...lol...for educating me on this and seeing for themselves how far above their cleavage I can be. ;)

DeepCurve

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
The main point the original article seems to be making is that the trend is frequently unrelated to genetic propensity. Yes, genes for big boobs can certainly be inherited, but many of today's busty young women do not have busty mothers and grandmothers.

Which of course leaves environment as the cause. Perhaps the increased development can be linked to earlier onset of puberty? In reading the comments of both the older and younger women interviewed, the older generations talk about getting their boobs at 15 or so and the youngest generation at 11-12. I know this is congruent with my experience as a teenager 30 years ago. Most girls I went to school with didn't even get boobs until high school, and even then, certainly not DD's.

I suppose it might make some sense that boobs which are growing for say 6 years might be expected to reach a larger average size than boobs that are growing for only 3. Though of course development seems to occur by leaps rather than continuously. Nor does a potentially longer puberty explain the anecdotal accounts of women experiencing further development much later in life. Still, maybe starting earlier is giving younger women a head start.

It is certainly true that people are taller on average today than they were 100 years ago. One has only to walk through a building constructed back then to observe this. Life expectancy has also changed dramatically: roughly 37 in 1800, 40 by 1850, 50 by 1900, 60 by the 1930s, pushing 80 today in developed countries. So perhaps it shouldn't surprise us that body proportions are changing along with height and longevity.

My own uninformed guess would be that it is all due to diet, though specifically what in our modern diets I couldn't say.

I do think that the theory about boob jobs being responsible has the causal arrow pointing in the wrong direction. Average bra sizes aren't going up because women are getting augmentations, women are getting augmentations because average bra sizes are going up, and nature, like Orwell, makes some more equal than others.

B_superlarge

Experimental Member
Media
Why ARE women's figures getting so much fuller? | the Daily Mail

When I return home to the UK, I am always amazed at how large British women's breasts are compared to most French girls' for example.
I read that the UK has the second largest bra size average in Europe, Irish girls have the biggest!

It can't just be down to diet can it?

A "figure" is more than just breasts. I see many (not all of course) big breasted women that lack in the butt department. If their butts are becoming flatter (I don't know that they are, just saying) then that is not a fuller figure in my book.

Aitch

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
I still say there is a link between the hormones used to get cows to produce milk and the massive breast growth.

My thoughts exactly Osiris. We have so many hormones fed to us in other forms (meat production uses hormones too) that it's bound to have a cummulative effect. Also, years ago before all the labour saving devices we now enjoy were even dreamt of, women did loads more manual work & had poorer (in terms of nutrition) diets meaning that they expended more calories doing day-to-day stuff, thus their weight was more naturally regulated. Nowadays, we have low-fat this, reduced salt that & no-added-sugar products but do we REALLY know what is in these genetically modified, processed foods & how they affect our bodies? Another reason why I stick to mostly veg these days (although I'm betting there's all manner of of nasties in veg too but less than in meat, methinks).

7x6

Sexy Member
Media
Which of course leaves environment as the cause. Perhaps the increased development can be linked to earlier onset of puberty? In reading the comments of both the older and younger women interviewed, the older generations talk about getting their boobs at 15 or so and the youngest generation at 11-12. I know this is congruent with my experience as a teenager 30 years ago. Most girls I went to school with didn't even get boobs until high school, and even then, certainly not DD's.

I heard a discussion of this on talk radio a few years ago. Several 'experts' were saying how puberty was starting earlier and buying bras earlier was a sign of this. Then one guy claimed this could be accounted for by the fact that teenage girls were fatter and the girls (and presumably their parents) were more likely to be desperate to appear grown up. Basically that a lot of fat little 12 year olds are getting bras bought to cover a little chest flab. He backed this up by claiming that the age of a girl's first period hadn't changed significantly.

Not sure if he had a point but it rang true to me when I look at kids these days.

I was always overweight, usually only one or two kids fatter than me in school. These days when I see pictures of myself I look totally average by today's standards (while me friends look positively malnourished). Also these days, when I see a group of 18-20 year olds in a bar, there is always one as fat as I am now!, when I was his age I was about 30 lbs lighter and again, usually the fattest of my group.

Kids are fat and out of condition but then, so am I. The weird thing is, as the world gets fatter I feel less out of place. I feel best of all of course when visiting the states ;-)

D_Sherian_LaNeige

Account Disabled
Media
Sexuality
No Response
I think I know what made my boobs big... cake. I suspect if you eat loads but get plenty of sexual exercise it might make you busty but you keep your waist. Good thing we're easy, eh?