Busy life demotivates sports regime ?

Dutchstud

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
I am a swimmer. But I have a busy life as well with a demanding job at office. Every morning I load my trunks, pullboy, paddles, goggles, cap etc in the car, with the vast determination to go to the pool after work.

But more and more, when I leave office, my battery is com-ple-te-ly exhausted, the idea of going to a chlorine damping pool and swim for 1,5 hours then disgust me and my hands drive me home.

When at home I release me from business clothes and take a hot shower. Ten I feel the guilt crippling up inside me. To compensate, I swim as an idiot in the weekends.

I wonder how you, fellow forummers, keep the motivation to go to fitness, to running, to swimming, to keep the sports regime, despite ever demanding daily life?

halcyondays

Worshipped Member
Media
Sexuality
80% Straight, 20% Gay
Try swimming just a half hour on those busy days. Take that hot relaxing shower before you swim to loosen up. If I can't manage a swim I rely on alternate exercise like a bike ride or weights or yoga.

Reactions: Dutchstud

bkmuscledad

Superior Member
Media
I am a swimmer. But I have a busy life as well with a demanding job at office. Every morning I load my trunks, pullboy, paddles, goggles, cap etc in the car, with the vast determination to go to the pool after work.

But more and more, when I leave office, my battery is com-ple-te-ly exhausted, the idea of going to a chlorine damping pool and swim for 1,5 hours then disgust me and my hands drive me home.

When at home I release me from business clothes and take a hot shower. Ten I feel the guilt crippling up inside me. To compensate, I swim as an idiot in the weekends.

I wonder how you, fellow forummers, keep the motivation to go to fitness, to running, to swimming, to keep the sports regime, despite ever demanding daily life?
I was the same, then one day, when looking at my workout journal, realized how many days I skipped, and if I had been more consistent, my body by then would have been awesome. My nephew, a trainer, told me that a bad workout is better than no workout at all, so even if I can't get in the whole workout, better to get there and be moving, because skipping days becomes a habit you want to break quickly. Those words made a world of difference to me. Now I go early in the morning before work, because if I wait until the end of the day, there wouldn't enough energy left in me (physical or mental). Since doing this, I've lost 40 pounds while adding a decent amount of muscle. My mental acuity is also up, making me more productive, both at work and at home. I hope you can find the time to do these things for yourself, even in small doses.

b1gm3

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
69% Gay, 31% Straight
I've learned to be more efficient in the gym when it comes to working out. I used to do 5-6/week because everyone around me was as well. However, the quality of those combined workoits weren't the greatest I gotta say.

However, with 3-4/week these days with a changed program and diet I've been happily seeing better results alongside feeling less guilt. I've also resorted to taking pre-workout drinks. Placebo or not, they can at times work and push me to drag my tired ass to the gym after work.

I believe is all about priorities. For me sports is a huge part of my life, I can't just skip one day. Just ask yourself what are your priorities, how bad you want it (to swim in that case). Don't missundertand me, if your priority is family, friends, night life, just chill or whatever is also ok. Just be honest with yourself. Nowadays there are facilities that open almost 24/7.
I like to say that who really what to train always find the way and the rest of the people always find excuses.
Just go for it my friend!!

Dutchstud

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
I was the same, then one day, when looking at my workout journal, realized how many days I skipped, and if I had been more consistent, my body by then would have been awesome. My nephew, a trainer, told me that a bad workout is better than no workout at all, so even if I can't get in the whole workout, better to get there and be moving, because skipping days becomes a habit you want to break quickly. Those words made a world of difference to me. Now I go early in the morning before work, because if I wait until the end of the day, there wouldn't enough energy left in me (physical or mental). Since doing this, I've lost 40 pounds while adding a decent amount of muscle. My mental acuity is also up, making me more productive, both at work and at home. I hope you can find the time to do these things for yourself, even in small doses.
That is a good advice, I will keep reminding myself: "A bad work-out is better than no work-out at all". So true, indeed. Thanks!

nokia88

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
I go to the gym early in the morning before work. Some swimming pools are open in the morning for just 1-2 hours for people who like to train.
I have more energy in the morning then in the evening after work/lunch.
The place is not so crowed as in the evenings, i really hate it.

kcdave

Admired Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
69% Gay, 31% Straight

How many yards are you swimming Per workout

kcdave

Admired Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
69% Gay, 31% Straight
Over what time period did you lose the 40 lbs. I was averaging about 110 miles a month running. And maintained my weight. Now I’ve added swimming and hope to get over that plateau. Started swimming on November 1 after 45 years of staying out of the pool

Reactions: bkmuscledad

bkmuscledad

Superior Member
Media
Over what time period did you lose the 40 lbs. I was averaging about 110 miles a month running. And maintained my weight. Now I’ve added swimming and hope to get over that plateau. Started swimming on November 1 after 45 years of staying out of the pool
Hi, Dave. Hope you're doing well. I lost 40 pounds over about 9-10 months. It's a net loss, which includes adding muscle at the same time. I'd like to lose another 20 or so. I really like swimming, and was on a team in HS, but I don't get much opportunity for that. I don't like running. I downloaded HIIT and kickboxing workouts and I do those at home. I also go to the gym and lift weights. Sounds like you're on the right track (pardon the pun). I wish you luck as you continue.

Reactions: kcdave

kcdave

Admired Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
69% Gay, 31% Straight
Hi, Dave. Hope you're doing well. I lost 40 pounds over about 9-10 months. It's a net loss, which includes adding muscle at the same time. I'd like to lose another 20 or so. I really like swimming, and was on a team in HS, but I don't get much opportunity for that. I don't like running. I downloaded HIIT and kickboxing workouts and I do those at home. I also go to the gym and lift weights. Sounds like you're on the right track (pardon the pun). I wish you luck as you continue.

Thanks for the reply back. I’ve plateaued with running and I was averaging about 110 miles a month sometimes more. So the swimming is really a new thing. But it’s a good workout and it’s using upper body muscles and core muscles which were not being used with running.
I know that the weight-loss issue also is cutting back on calorie intake. Quality of calorie intake. I basically am not eating a lot of carbs and have stayed away from them for over a year.
I eat very little red meat perhaps once a week if that. But I have been stuck at 225lbs since July. But I can tell with swimming I am developing upper body muscles so things are being reapportioned at the waist.

Reactions: bkmuscledad

bkmuscledad

Superior Member
Media
Thanks for the reply back. I’ve plateaued with running and I was averaging about 110 miles a month sometimes more. So the swimming is really a new thing. But it’s a good workout and it’s using upper body muscles and core muscles which were not being used with running.
I know that the weight-loss issue also is cutting back on calorie intake. Quality of calorie intake. I basically am not eating a lot of carbs and have stayed away from them for over a year.
I eat very little red meat perhaps once a week if that. But I have been stuck at 225lbs since July. But I can tell with swimming I am developing upper body muscles so things are being reapportioned at the waist.
From your avatar, you look like you have some good proportions working for you, so keep up the good work. :)

Reactions: kcdave