But - She's HUGE!

Discussion in 'Women's Issues' started by Imported, Sep 6, 2003.

1. Imported

Gold Member

sammygirly: I have a girlfriend at work who has been trying to have a baby for a year.  She did a long session of fertility drugs and finally caught pregnant!

But, at 10 weeks pregnant, her belly was swollen enough that she was showing like a woman 5-6 months along!  I was CERTAIN that she was carrying multiples - but yesterday was the ultrasound, and wouldn't you know - they only found ONE baby.

HOW CAN THAT BE??

I've decided the ultrasound MUST be wrong.  She is way too big for only one baby!!

What's your opinion on the reliability of ultrasounds?

2. Imported

Gold Member

inquiringmind: Sammygirl,
    ARe you sure your freind doesn't have gestational diabetes? That is one of the signs . I was delivered at months because of my mother's diabetes as was my brother at 7 months. Tell her to check it out.

Inquiring mind

3. Imported

Gold Member

wvalady1968: Ultrasounds are very reliable. And when they are done after 16 weeks gestation, they can usually predict the gender of the baby accurately.

Tests for gestational diabetes are routinely done on all pregnant women when they are about 28 weeks along. So it's too early for that to be the cause. [Gest. Diabetic women often have large babies - I weighed 10# at birth- but most of that weight is gained in the ninth month.]

I suspect your friend may be "eating for two"? Either that or she's just one of those women who "show" early.

4. Imported

Gold Member

Amberlynn: To steal a term from the Male Forums:

Perhaps she is a shower not a grower?

5. Imported

Gold Member

prepky: well my wife does ultrasound....and I can say that they are approx 99% correct...she said that the woman could be retaining some fluid....a side effect of getting prego on drugs....

6. Imported

Gold Member

bblumbee: I was actually getting ready to say that it is probably fluid, or, in some cases, she is expecting to have a large baby.

I had a girlfriend who recently gave birth to an 11 pound boy. She was "huge" during her entire pregnancy. In fact, she was so large, the doctors worried about her going into labor early.

There are a number of factors. Ultrasounds are pretty accurate, but sometimes they are not. However, I would think it is more fluid than anything. Or, that she is expecting a big baby.

Draft saved Draft deleted