"But wait, there's more:  why the corona??"

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Imported, Aug 9, 2003.

1. Imported

Gold Member

View_From_Below: I regularly check the wire services on line to see if the world's still here, and in doing so a couple of weeks ago I found the story I summarized in the thread entitled "the purpose of our upper heads." [attractiveness of facial features correlates to quality of sperm].

I'm not going out of my way to find these, I promise. Anyway, here's another one.

Reuters reported on August 6 a story about research at SUNY Albany on the evolutionary purpose of the coronal ridge of the penis.

Using an artificial vagina, various artificial penises, and artificial semen made of cornstarch, researchers found that a flaring corona serves as a scoop. Inserted into a "vagina" already containing "semen" (from another man or men), the penis with a flaring corona routinely scooped out (on the outstroke) more than 90% of the other guy's "semen." The penis with a smaller head, or without much flare to the corona, scooped out only 35% of the other guy's "semen."

Fighting to displace another guy's sperm is not exactly a matter of high concern today--but this research is an interesting reminder of the fierce competition for women and progeny of early humanity. [On second thought, maybe I'm being naive--maybe it IS still important in some contexts today.]

The Reuters story also alluded to some indication that penis length might have practical value in this context: a longer penis would be more likely to scoop all the way from the bottom, as it were.

The research was reported in the journal Evolution and Human Behavior.

I don't think there will be increased interest in "corona enhancement surgery" as a result of this research, but I guess you never know.

VFB

2. B_RoysToy

B_RoysToy New Member

No, VFB, these days one never knows what might be tried re. sex and the male appendage.

The report you shared is certainly a theory only, but really interesting. I always thought the corona was just enhanced on some cocks for good looks, but practicality can accompany attractiveness, of course.

Thanks for the info, guy. Keep us posted.

Luke

3. jonb

Gold Member

I don't know; if a man's foreskin doesn't retract all the way, that purpose is lost. Were the men circumcised or not?

4. Imported

Gold Member

Donk: [quote author=jonb link=board=meetgreet;num=1060447164;start=0#2 date=08/09/03 at 13:13:13]I don't know; if a man's foreskin doesn't retract all the way, that purpose is lost. Were the men circumcised or not?[/quote]

Perhaps this is why circumcision evolved. :)

5. Imported

Gold Member

View_From_Below: [quote author=jonb link=board=meetgreet;num=1060447164;start=0#2 date=08/09/03 at 13:13:13]I don't know; if a man's foreskin doesn't retract all the way, that purpose is lost. Were the men circumcised or not?[/quote]
    I had the same question. The Reuters summary doesn't say anything one way or another about cut/uncut, although surely they would have been uncircumcised (otherwise the researchers would be candidates for Stupid Research Awards). I would think, though, that a flaring corona would still have basically the effect described, even if covered, because it still would have clearly greater girth than the shaft. Possibly a fully-retracting foreskin is a more successful evolutionary design than a partially-retracting one because of greater efficiency at this task.

6. B_RoysToy

B_RoysToy New Member

How right you are, VFB, foreskin doesn't diminish the girth of the corona. I just examined mine to determine the thickness there as compared with down the shaft. Since my corona is much thicker than the shaft below it or the rest of the dick head above it, I believe I would have no problem sucking out previous sperms left from prior ejaculations as my pumping action proceeded during intercourse.

But we must keep in mind that it takes only one sperm to impregnate the egg, and, to me, its doubtful that a total removal of sperm can be accomplished regardless of the thickness of the corona and the tightness of the fit up and down the vagina walls during fucking.

7. Imported

Gold Member

H8Monga: Natural selection's never been good to me...

8. Max

Max New Member

So far as the "scoop" function of a pronounced corona on the end of a long penis is concerned, a while ago in another forum I came across a guy persistently arguing for its continuing importance in evolutionary selection.

He was envisaging the situation where after a smaller or average guy has sex with a woman, a well hung guy comes along. Mr. Big's huge coronal ridge, which of course is able to penetrate much deeper, is able on the reverse strokes to clear the semen in the vagina, preliminary to depositing his own much greater and more highly charged contribution right at the cervix. Just one more reason for the evolutionary drive to increase length and glans size!

I risked debating with him a bit, but it was a mistake. His mind was made up. I think it was a deep seated fantasy for him.

I suppose my corona would make a pretty effective semen removal instrument, but it would require being on the scene pretty quickly after the other guy. As I am 100% monogamous, it has never applied.

The function of the big corona for me (or I should say for us) has to be simply the pleasure it gives. The pressure and feeling of tightness / fullness is focused wherever my glans happens to be more than anywhere else. That I suppose is partly because of the nerve endings being more abundant, but the greater dimensions must also mean more pressure on them. Another feature is the 'barb' effect -- once in you don't slip out.

9. Max

Max New Member

P.S.

Re the effect of a pronounced coronal ridge in uncircumcised men: one function of it for me is that it acts to prevent the foreskin from sliding back over the head, even if my erection subsides enough to allow it. In my case the foreskin opening is a little tight, and if I get a very sudden erection without any warning, there is a little pain (even after all these years!) as the head forces its way through. But once it is through there is no chance of its slipping back inside, even during the most vigorous sex.

10. Imported

Gold Member

View_From_Below: [quote author=Max link=board=meetgreet;num=1060447164;start=0#7 date=08/10/03 at 23:49:25].The function of the big corona for me (or I should say for us) has to be simply the pleasure it gives.  The pressure and feeling of tightness / fullness is focused wherever my glans happens to be more than anywhere else.  That I suppose is partly because of the nerve endings being more abundant, but the greater dimensions must also mean more pressure on them. . .[/quote]
    How fantastic that sounds to at least one unhung guy. Count your blessings, my wellhung friends!

11. B_RoysToy

B_RoysToy New Member

Max and View_from_Below:

Being uncut, I'm responding to your posting re. your corona's thickness keeping your foreskin (once pushed behind your corona) from enclosing the head again.

One of the pleasures I enjoy is when my foreskin covers and uncovers my corona/dick head. Even though my corona branches out much wider than the other parts of my penis, my foreskin has always accommodated its thichness.

When deeply penetrating the vagina, my corona is uncovered, since pressing against the base of my penis
    tends to pull the foreskin back enough to expose the total head. This, of course, permits its corona to 'rub' against vagina walls as well as mouth of uterus, which is extremely stimulating.

I'll add that since my divorce, I often masturbate my organ for climax and I find it pleasureable to hear the popping sounds as my dick head gets covered and uncovered by my foreskin. I find that the more senses get involved with sex, the hotter the sessions. Sound is one of the hot stimulants for me.

BTW, VFB, compared to most other dudes who are members of LPSG, I am closer to the average in size, but I can't imagine any penis giving more pleasure than mine. I doubt that I could 'edge' as many times as I like, if my pleasure were any greater! I craze long sessions, guys!

12. Pecker

Pecker Retired Moderator
    Gold Member

Among the other advantages already mentioned in this thread, I find that the pronounced coronal ridge easily stimulates the G-spot.

Often she will have me stop at that sweet spot to linger while she begins orgasm and the head swells more from the non-movement, stimulating both of us.

I think of my glans more as a plunger than a squeegee.

13. Imported

Gold Member

SpeedoGuy: I've (we've) experienced the barb effect from the glans swelling while plunged in deep and motionless. Not enough to prevent withdrawal (as happens to some canine breeds) but enough to notice a tug and more friction on the way out.

SG

14. Imported

Gold Member

awellhungboi: For some strange reason I find this topic really sexy, and I'm not sure why.

Just thought I'd share that with y'all.

15. B_black10inches

B_black10inches New Member

I'm with Monstro on this one. It's a really sexy subject, but I don't know exactly why. Is this about male competition or control or power? Maybe it's just the "big dick and corona gets the hot chick" thing. It's an interesting fantasy, a bunch of guys fucking a woman to see who can get her pregnant. Real sexist...but a subject that gets me horny too.

16. Imported

Gold Member

awellhungboi: [quote author=black10inches link=board=meetgreet;num=1060447164;start=0#14 date=08/11/03 at 22:23:01]I'm with Monstro on this one. It's a really sexy subject, but I don't know exactly why. Is this about male competition or control or power? Maybe it's just the "big dick and corona gets the hot chick" thing. It's an interesting fantasy, a bunch of guys fucking a woman to see who can get her pregnant. Real sexist...but a subject that gets me horny too.[/quote]

Oh, thank you! I'm glad to see I'm not alone. I thought I was just a freak. Maybe it is about competition, or having a 'super scooper'--I don't know. Maybe just some deep biological urge. Who knows?

17. Max

Max New Member

I find it fascinating as well, though as I said I'm sure it is just fantasy.

Not sure what I feel about discovering that I have something in common with certain "canine breeds", however :eek:. Thanks Speedo :)

18. B_RoysToy

B_RoysToy New Member

Let me assure you guys, you're not alone. I would think if a poll were taken the vast majority of dudes would find this topic stimulating and dick hardening.

Just the thoughts of holding the hardon penis very still in the vagina, giving a few seconds/minutes for adjustment of vagina walls to encase tighter and seek out every cell of the male tool, is hightly erotic for me! Let me add that I love holding and waiting for my partner to begin a "seeking" movement, in a way begging for more dick.

This site is great to help create a 'common bond' for guys with the ever-demanding sex drive in overdrive.

Luke

19. jonb

Gold Member

[quote author=Hapi Papi link=board=meetgreet;num=1060447164;start=0#6 date=08/09/03 at 21:16:46]Natural selection's never been good to me...[/quote]
    Actually, we're talking about sexual selection. Natural selection's more the fact that you're intelligent enough to not pull a safe down the stairs with your shoe untied or send a mail bomb and then open it when you get it back marked "Return to sender". Sexual selection means female choice, males monopolizing on mates (and attacking any approaching males), or sperm competition.

20. jonb

Gold Member

[quote author=RoysToy link=board=meetgreet;num=1060447164;start=0#5 date=08/09/03 at 14:54:22]How right you are, VFB, foreskin doesn't diminish the girth of the corona.   I just examined mine to determine the thickness there as compared with down the shaft.  Since my corona is much thicker than the shaft below it or the rest of the dick head above it, I believe I would have no problem sucking out previous sperms left from prior ejaculations as my pumping action proceeded during intercourse.

But we must keep in mind that it takes only one sperm to impregnate the egg, and, to me, its doubtful that a total removal of sperm can be accomplished regardless of the thickness of the corona and the tightness of the fit up and down the vagina walls during fucking.[/quote]
    I was more referring to men who can't retract their foreskin. I know circumcision actually diminishes the glans. (At least infantile circumcision does, before the foreskin's able to retract.)

Fathers have a second defense against female adultery: Altruism. Some polyandrous cultures have circumvented this subconscious mechanic three ways:
    • Preformationism - if a culture denies paternal contributions to a child's genes altogether, altruism is pointless. (When describing kinship systems, anthropologists are careful about the father's side, referring to the father as "the person your mother is married to". This itself is bad for serial monogamists, though.) OTOH, some cultures, such as Muslims, deny maternal contributions to a child's genes. Generally, preformationism doesn't accompany polyandry, but it's common enough in polyandrous and even-split promiscuous cultures to be referenced here
    • "My two dads" - in this case, the more men a woman sleeps with, the healthier the child will supposedly be. This time, all the men are fathers to the child. This is common in the Amazon, and oftentimes sex in such cultures is done in groups of one woman and several men, though the men might not necessarily touch each other.
    • Fraternal polyandry. In this case, a woman marries a group of brothers. Common on the Great Plains (pre-colonization), this situation also recognizes all men married to the woman as fathers.

Draft saved Draft deleted