Buyer's regret? I still don't think so.

flipctflingo

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Straight, 10% Gay
Bought a 2003 Jetta TDI earlier this year. The plan was to teach myself to work on it so when anything bad happened I could fix it. I'm moderately good at car repair work and can do brakes , change thermostats, charge A/C, diagnose problems, etc etc. Im excellent at following procedure and following somebody who is doing a job.

Well that was when I had a place to work. I don't now. Its hard to do these things in a slanted lot or doing brakes off of a roadside jack. I actually just fucked myself up pretty bad today doing something that would have been a ton easier doing on jack stands. Blah fuck.

So now I need to get a bunch of work done. I don't trust my arrogant friend, who refuses to follow somebody elses procedure, and a shop total will definitely be above $1400, at least.

Part of me wants to buy the tools to do it myself, and I always have a little doubt in my ability to do car work? Idk.

Maybe I am feeling a bit of buyers remorse. :/ but Damn that car was awesome. 52mpg. :(

What do you guys think? Shop it and bite the bullet or get a little bit adventurous.

Calboner

Superior Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay

ghodges85

Expert Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
60% Gay, 40% Straight
I would look on some VW-specific forums and see if anyone has posted a shop manual. That will help you a ton with diagnosing, etc. The only problem is, german car parts are still expensive. If you are fairly skilled at car repair, I wouldn't sweat it. The more you do, the more you'll learn.

vince

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
69% Straight, 31% Gay
Money spent on tools is never wasted as long as they are of reasonable quality. Rent a storage unit? Why not? I restored an antique thirty foot boat in one. You have to let the owners know what you are up to though. Short term they may not mind.

flipctflingo

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Straight, 10% Gay
I would look on some VW-specific forums and see if anyone has posted a shop manual. That will help you a ton with diagnosing, etc. The only problem is, german car parts are still expensive. If you are fairly skilled at car repair, I wouldn't sweat it. The more you do, the more you'll learn.

I've found some very good source for parts and actually have a Bentley repair manual, too. Its just the fear of making that un-fixable mistake.